ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

SMT6/STAND ALONE ECU group buy

Quote: Originally posted by Andy GDI on 10 May 2004

only got Paul and Clean16vs so far.
Literally popped mine in the post just before I typed that message.... should be with you Wednesday morning in theory!

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

hi guys...I got the car back this morning from having the SMT6 installed and tuned and Im very happy with the results.

Biggest power gain was made at 4000rpm where I gained 5.4 kW

Biggest torque gain was made at 1500rpm where I gained 23.6 Nm

Peak torque was up by 6.1 Nm but the bonus is now peak torque is made at 4500rpm instead of 5500rpm

Peak power was up by 5.1 kW, but peak power is now maintained over 500rpm between 6000rpm and 6500rpm instead of the usual peak at 6500rpm.

Ill post the dyno graph once Ive gotten it uploaded .

I can highly recommend you get your 172s over to Andy as the results are very noticable. and remember Im at high altitude so gains made in the UK should be even better than mine

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Well pleased.

Next up, im hoping BenR might be able to give me a way of getting round the problem with the injectors being shut-off...then Ill get the injector timing done...might yield even more ponies.

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Well it depends which bhp you use;)

over here (SA) 1bhp = 0.7458kW

in france 1bhp = 0.7209kW

in the UK I believe 1bhp = 0.7337kW

and finally 1lb/ft = 1.3605Nm

so my peak power of 86.3kW = 115.8hp (SA) = 117.6bhp (UK) = 119.7hp (FRA)

and my 145.8Nm = 107.2lb.ft

Hope that helps

[Edited by viceroy on 11 May 2004 at 8:31pm]

[Edited by viceroy on 11 May 2004 at 8:35pm]

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider

good stuff mate...

that is where we also tuned the 172 for, mid range power...

smooths the power out, helps feed in the phase shift.

Ben & I will be working on sorting the ignition timing problem... I am pretty sure we have worked it out already... but will be doing some developement work in the next week or so...

Andy

GDI

Good stuff mate, great news..... VERY happy....

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

If you find the solution works, Id love to know how to get even more power out of my baby

ps. watch you keep the engine bay cool when on the RR...my speedo sensor melted and started a small fire:eek: in the engine bay

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider

we had to poor water on the heat sheilds to keep them cool.. the zorst gets REALLY hot when its not going anywhere.

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider

got 5 now, thanks guys... anyone else wanna join in, deadline is the end of next week really.

thanks

Andy

GDi

woohoo! anyone else? course it will amke a diifference mate, the benefits over an off the shelf chip have been discussed in detail on this thread!

172 Cup

come on craig!! if you come down to have it done i will come pick you up from Andys and we can go for a few pints!

Andy, How long would it take to install and map a valver?

Paul

Clio 172 cup 300bhp

I run a cup with ktec de cat, manex cat back exhaust, green induction filter, what gains in bhp and torque would i get?? Am a bit confussed by diagram

172 Cup

its best to think of this as getting your car chiped but instead of just a bolt on chip this is maped to your car and will give you much more control over the fueling and air and stuff and on the 172 engine from what Andy did last time it looked like it made a big improvement in the mid range power and much more driveable and thats what its all about and can be remaped to every mod you get.

Paul

Yeh.. should expect an increase in power and torque throughout the rev range.

viceroys peak power increase was (very roughly) 6bhp and he is at high altitude. Here you might expect up to 10bhp as a rough estimate, with a decent increase in torque too.

viceroy also had the benefit of moving the peak power/torque further down the rev range, increasing midrange grunt, thus making the cars power generally more available on the open road.

Though the power/torque increases might seem small compared to what a turbocharged car might achieve with a remap, the difference is reportedly very noticeable out on the road and I cant see anyone walking away disappointed.

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Hi Guys, Youll DEFINATELY feel the extra torque low in the rev range, especially on pulloff. I used to have problems where if I gave too little power Id bog down really horribly, but now that problem is gone...also Ive noticed that freeway driving is so much better now as there is loads of pull even when cruizing in 5th at 3000rpm...you just put your foot down and the car pulls forward...so much more tractable.

Like riplash mentioned Im at very high altitude so the gains I made arent all that big, but for a NA car, the 172 has made amazing gains by being chipped...I cant wait to get down to the coast...

Jonzink...Go for it mate...the chip will really free up the extra power which your mods will allow. Ive got a decat, and full 63mm catback system which already gained me about 10% above std, but the chip just releases this amazing low down torque which really makes the car come alive.

Its just like a chip..only with a lot more precision/control.

Insurance just need to know youve modified the ECU, same as if you got a Superchip.

Would have to ask your insurer as it will depend on age, etc - may just be a set percentage of your total premium, or could be a fixed fee for certain mods.

williams and trophy

rite............mite be puttin me cash down for this.......how much needed n wen for deposits??

172 Cup

As soon as really mate. get incontact with Andy at GDI.

He will let you know where to send the cheque and stuff.

Paul

PM Andy as im well up for this too, only just read this thread (DOH) although it may take a while before it will be worth having it fitted. Gonna check my insurance tom and see what they say.

BE QUICK! if anyone else wants to come in it MAY bring the price down even further, but mione is being fitted on monday so there will def be no more after this day at such a low price!

How much of a change to the mpg do you think the above will happen. To make it easier suppose you have a standard ecu and a viper filter and lets say a sports cat and exhaust (hypothetical for the moment) would having the chip make the fuel consumption better/about the same/worse? I guess the more mods you have then the better the effect of having the smt6?

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Well speaking from experience, your mpg shouldnt be affected too much...in fact, Id say mu mpg was about the same, if not slightly better since Im not changing down so much to find overtaking power anymore.

And yeah, the more mods you have the more power the chip will be able to free up

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider

he is impressed... so were we.... he will tell you all about it.... probably still driving it home at present.

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider

lets just say the power was a fair bit higher than we were expecting anyhow!!!

The SMT did great on the F7R, was able to control the fuel far better than I expected..... (were able to take it from 0.5% CO - where Mehdis fueling was to over 10% CO - loads of scope... we settled on about 5% CO under load)

Andy

GDI

172 Cup

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

good lad!!!! i am really impressed!!! i cant wait to get mine done now!!

And thats without head work isnt it?

you MUST be chuffed!!

Paul