ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The New Phone Thread

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Anyone used a good reliable recycling centre. Looking at selling my 13 pro max through one for ease.

Just sold my Apple Watch through Music Magpie, used them a few times now, faultless process as usual, actually got the claimed value too, unlike those con artists CeX.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Cheers. Not sure they were competitive on pricing but will check. It’s on av forum and amazed it hasn’t sold.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I'd rather they stuck with lightning TBH, the fact it clicks into the charger port and the end doesn't loosen/open up over time makes it better than USB C for me.

I don't care about transfer speeds and the battery lasts all day so I only charge at night.

Stupid EU.
Have to agree really - I never had an issue using Lightning at all.

That said, I can understand USB-C more now, given that it's own interface is finally universal - and not a one sided slot of previous USB standards.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone interested in a Samsung Z3 Flip in black?

Recent warranty replacement so in really good condition.

Prices seem all over the place but I'm thinking £220 to a CS member posted Inc fees?

I'll pop a sale thread up later today once I've got some pics of it and the wife has dug out the box etc.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
Have to agree really - I never had an issue using Lightning at all.

That said, I can understand USB-C more now, given that it's own interface is finally universal - and not a one sided slot of previous USB standards.
My iPad Air has USB C and my Samsung work phone has USB C, as do other devices in our house, but I still prefer lightning as a physical interface, so I can't get excited about iPhones having USB C now, I would happily stick with lightning given a choice.

Plus think of all the waste of redundant lightning cables, speaker docks, etc, when people upgrade, it's not very environmentally friendly! 🌳

I agree though USB C is way better than previous iterations.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
The 15 Pro arrived earlier.

Just need to get that eSIM stuff sorted out with the provider in the morning.

Apple being Apple, the setup of my account, transfer of data and setup of the phone was stupidly easy. I even received the freepost trade-in box a little later too, to send my standard 11 back to them in.

The titanium blue colour as well is stunning - so glad I went for the additional clear case for it.

1698263493363.png

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
That's my favourite one. Almost petrol like.

I think people avoided it for fear of it being scratched through.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
A fresh out the box iPhone is quite something. Unfortunately mine’s turned into a second work phone, so looks absolutely awful not even 1 year later, even with a Mous case 😩

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
That's my favourite one. Almost petrol like.

I think people avoided it for fear of it being scratched through.
Totally get that mate - I've no idea how people use them 'as is', straight out of the box.

I've gone three layers of additional protection - a glass film for the front, a clear case for the surround and a clip-on protector for the lenses on the rear.

The camera section alone really does protrude out of the back - angling the phone slightly upward when laid down. I can imagine that without some form of protection, a 15 Pro could easily get damaged on the rear quite quickly.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
A lens protector... just no Darren, just no!!!

Case yes, screen protector yes, especially with the soft new screens.

I take my phone out the case on the couch or around the house, they feel too nice not too, I don't want to sit with a full armour case sitting on the couch!

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
A lens protector... just no Darren, just no!!!

Case yes, screen protector yes, especially with the soft new screens.

I take my phone out the case on the couch or around the house, they feel too nice not too, I don't want to sit with a full armour case sitting on the couch!

Ironically that's the one place I've actually damaged a phone in he past whilst sat on the couch and dropping it!

My new pixel is in a magsafe case (just a cheap one until I find something I like) with a screen protector.

The screen protector came with a lens protector but I've not installed it as the case protects the lens anyway

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
What happens when USB D (or whatever they call it) comes along...

This is genuinely the problem with mandating a solution.

The market had already completely coelesced around USB C anyway apart from Apple who were gradually going there. So what happens when USB C is old hat (and let's face it, it's hardly new at this point) and someone wants to implement a faster, better featured solution which can carry more power? Oh, can't do that, the EU have to change the rules.

It really sucks for innovation.

It's hardly a big deal, but I'm sure that five years down the line when other countries are using the new shiny we'll still be stuck on USB C.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Until that gets replaced? ;)

What happens when USB D (or whatever they call it) comes along...

This is genuinely the problem with mandating a solution.

The market had already completely coelesced around USB C anyway apart from Apple who were gradually going there. So what happens when USB C is old hat (and let's face it, it's hardly new at this point) and someone wants to implement a faster, better featured solution which can carry more power? Oh, can't do that, the EU have to change the rules.

It really sucks for innovation.

It's hardly a big deal, but I'm sure that five years down the line when other countries are using the new shiny we'll still be stuck on USB C.

Have a read up about it. USB C only relates to the connector, it can still innovate with higher data speeds etc. I highly doubt it'll be going anywhere anytime soon and the potential for saving on waste is massive.
The amount of old laptop chargers, power supplies for you name it that then become useless is huge. If they were all on USB C for the next 10-20 years before a different connector takes over then the waste savings will far outweigh not changing everything to use it,

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
On the one hand yes I agree USB C is an extensible standard, but on the other who knows what the future holds for tech.

The aim of the legislation is laudable for sure, I’ve no problem with that, it just seems like a bit of a blunt instrument. Time will tell 👍

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Finally received my 15 Pro Max this morning. Everything about it is much better than my 11 Pro Max, really happy with it so far.

It's almost too nice to put a case on it but it's kind of slippy and I know for a fact I'll drop it if I don't.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Just saw this on YouTube, really impressive stuff. I reckon with the Max giving it a bit more thermal headroom performance may be a touch better compared to a non-Max 15 Pro.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
S23 Ultra phone pics. For the love of God it can't take a daytime pic with a bit of contrast. It really annoys me, you can't even press on the clouds to adjust the contrast automatically without using the slider to make the pocket darker. HDR is useless

Night time is epic.

Attachments

• 20231106_160110.jpg
    20231106_160110.jpg
    9.1 MB · Views: 55
  • 20231104_172605.jpg
    21.7 MB · Views: 45

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I don't understand how it has blown out the sky. I always find it best to not use the slider and let the software fix it all. S22ultra has never really failed me.

20230518_131608.jpg

20230524_165026.jpg

Even facing the sun I still found an okay shot?

• Love
Reactions: riz

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
I've just ordered a pixel 7 from Currys for £299.50, to replace my tired broken pixel 6 pro.

None of the newer flagship phones really caught my eye enough to justify paying 3 times more. I was planning on getting a 15 Pro max through work, but cashflow is a bit tight so that's off the cards for a while and I didn't want one enough to pay for it myself. Only really wanted it for the LiDAR scanning really, as it'd be really useful for work when out on site. Plus the reviews I'd seen on YouTube didn't really sell it to me.

Basically I just wanted something that wasn't going to be a backwards step for as little cash as possible. Seemed a no brainer really.

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
Pixel 7s are terrible overheating mess' aren't they?
Never heard that to be honest. Quick google suggest that the 6 also had this issue and Android 14 has fixes for it.

Saying that though, I never had any issues with the 6 pro, and my wife has had a 7 pro since they were released without issue. So not overly worried. At worst it's a cheap stop gap until something else takes my fancy I guess. Recycle places are still offering up to £250, so shouldn't lose too much. I suspect it'll be fine until the next round of phones are released though, I may even keep it long term if I get on with it.

IMG_5938.jpeg

Got myself a 15 Pro in natural titanium, having had a 12 Pro Max since release the battery was getting a bit tired.

So far enjoying the higher refresh rate screen and the smaller phone too, went off wanting a huge phone. Only issue I’ve had was trading my old phone into Apple, some lovely person in Royal Mail stole my 12 Pro Max and sent them an empty box. So it’s currently being investigated.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Ah that can be a risk, i'm going to be sending them an Iphone 12 soon and i'm a tad concerned about it going missing, it's £250 trade in against my daughter's new phone so I don't want it dissapearing!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I love the standard pro, the size is just epic for the power it has, maybe one day I will be able to downsize size wise.

997.1, Caddy, e208
Send it speshul drelivery?
It only costs a few quid more and should be a bit more secure / insured to 500 or something.

Racky

ClioSport Club Member
  Minion Yellow
For anyone who has a Samsung from S20 FE onwards, apparently you can get a free 12months subscription to Disney+.

I've got a code for 6months after doing the thing, but I think it needs to be a new account, as with my old account, I don't have any options to redeem a code, only to restart my old subscription. EDIT : you can use your account if you don't have a subscription active. Just need to go to to DisneyPlus.com/Redeem first.

Link here. You'll need to open the link on the phone with Samsung internet, not Chrome, as apparently it doesn't work with Chrome.

Last edited:

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
What sort of heathen still has the Samsung browser installed?
My missus loves it. Funnily enough actually as a browser it's really good, lots of the Samsung tech guys actually use it. They use chrome because of the lock in to other devices.