ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

throttle body kit(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's try and show a bit of maturity here if you can Mark, we were having an adult discussion until you started bleeting.

Ben, surely then a worthwhile addition and idea would be to also redesign the alternator to accomodate people that want to keep their aircon, as not everyone that wants a quick Clio wants to remove all the interior and drive around in just their underpants in order to save weight. Personally I couldn't care less about weight, it weighs what it weighs and I put stuff and people in the back sometimes. If I could, I'd rather have aircon, but if it means going to smaller trumpets and having a setup that makes no more power than the big single TB then it's something I'll happily live without. My Williams didn't have aircon and I didn't really miss it...

I'm trying to accomodate for the market, i dont think people would pay for an airconditioned car then simply just junk it, if the option is there then its just another available choice for people. Keeping aircon will be significantly more expensive though as its no small task.

Redesigning the bracketry is something we are still going through, the main problem is known fatigue and NHV that they will encounter in daily driving and hours sat on the motorway. Renault made them beefy as hell for a reason, the aux system is large and most items are held a massive distance from the engine/crank pulley with an aux tensioner that is superbly tight. This leads to alot of forces on the brackets to hold it all together as the alt load and aircon load kicks in and out. We could make something that made space easy, but could not ensure that it would last the test of time.

can the basic shape not be redesigned or even moved somewhere else now that there would be a lot more room? 1st thing that struck me when I saw the engine on mine was how much extra room it free's up, cant things just be moved about slightly?

And LOL at Mark and the fact no on is listening... if a tree falls in the woods... ;)

I'm not the only one finding the January date funny... seeing as we are now well into July ;)

Where have I slagged the product off Mark? I've said after all the waiting it's an anti climax, which to me it is after all the hype.

I'm interested in knowing why it's so damn good and why it should be purchased over normal ITB'd setups... still no definative answer though as no number have been spoken of.

The thread is about throttle bodies is it not? What are we discussing? I hope you can see the irony in your off topic ramblings... and I thought you had more than 2 brain cells... Clearly I over estimated you

can the basic shape not be redesigned or even moved somewhere else now that there would be a lot more room? 1st thing that struck me when I saw the engine on mine was how much extra room it free's up, cant things just be moved about slightly?

The only thing you could do is wrap them over top of the engine, as per standard, this gives you the obvious problems of sucking hot air from above the exhaust manifold and heat soak of the bodies sat just above the engine.

It would be nice if you could point the bodies down underneath the slam panel if you are going to use a custom rad. This means you dont have half your air filter stuck to the bottom of your bonnet and you dont have to cut the slam panel. You would get a nice cool airflow straight from the grill and your inlet could be that bit longer. Not sure on the technicalities of this but would be a nice feature to differentiate from the Jenvey setup.

that and if possible moving the alternator slightly or even redesigning it completely. being able to keep the aircon is a major issue for some people and enough to put them off ITB's having spoke to some that went for the single larger body instead

that and if possible moving the alternator slightly or even redesigning it completely. being able to keep the aircon is a major issue for some people and enough to put them off ITB's having spoke to some that went for the single larger body instead

The larger single body is a waste of time, the restriction is not at this point.

I think it seems strange that people are so desperate to keep air con when they are tuning an engine to this level.

Keeping the air con is always going to be a compromise. If you are spending 3.5k on ITBs then surely you want the most power possible?

Clio 172 ph2 + 990SM

The larger single body is a waste of time, the restriction is not at this point.

I think it seems strange that people are so desperate to keep air con when they are tuning an engine to this level.

Keeping the air con is always going to be a compromise. If you are spending 3.5k on ITBs then surely you want the most power possible?

it doesnt have to be scorching outside for the car to get hot inside, and cant exactly roll down the windows at 100mph.

coming from a fiat punto with no power steering, no electric windows, no central locking and no aircon, i love these extras on the clio.

these factors dont change the fact the car doesnt feel as fast as when i first got it (0 to a billion mph in quarter of a second :)) and now i want to recapture that feeling...

Clio 172 ph2 + 990SM
this thread pisses me off. im really looking forward to seeing the finished product along with everyone else, and everytime i see a post in here it gets my hopes up.

Ben_R, dont you think this is causing resentment? Instead of damaging your reputation, it might be worth burying the thread and makes an announcement when you're ready to supply.

it doesnt have to be scorching outside for the car to get hot inside, and cant exactly roll down the windows at 100mph.

coming from a fiat punto with no power steering, no electric windows, no central locking and no aircon, i love these extras on the clio.

these factors dont change the fact the car doesnt feel as fast as when i first got it (0 to a billion mph in quarter of a second :)) and now i want to recapture that feeling...

Everyone has different reasons for buying a car I suppose. I travel 10miles a day down country lanes to get to work. If I was stuck on the motorway everyday in the summer I might change my mind.

That's the most ridiculous comment you have possible ever made... clearly your knowlegde of the single body is ranging from **** all to very limited. Are you going to FCS? If so you'll be taking that statement back as quick as you made it as your in for one hell of a shock lol.

It's not strange that people would want to keep aircon, I dont care either way tbh, I can live without it, but a lot of people will not want to compromise and tbh that's fair enough, why should they? Plenty of fast cars about with aircon and if people like their interior toys and mod cons then they will look at alternatives. I think the people that dont care and would ditch it are the minority tbh... If you keep the aircon on ITB's you need shorter trumpets, if you do that you may as well get the single body and save some cash... sure, it wont sound quite as nice (imo), but performance is equal, price is cheaper and you get to keep the car in tact and still relatively stock looking inside the engine bay.

@ Wanderer - it's not Ben's thread tbh, it was someone else wanting info on ITB's, it's upto you as a potential customer to cut through the rest and make your own mind up tbh. Personally if I was in a position to buy ITB's I'd not want to wait 7 months after a deadline either, some people will though...

Audi TT 225
I disagree...
If tuning a car for maximum performance then ditching the aircon will help no end because at the end of the day that what makes the cup quicker, no aircon, lighter, less strain on the crank running an extra mile of belt and running more accessories. To get the best out of it you have to make some sacrafices theres no bones about it.
Yes there are many faster cars with aircon... if thats what someone wants then they should just go and buy one instead of trying to tune an RS.
And I agree the single TB wont make masses of difference since the restrictions are in the manifold and plenum design, fitting the largest TB in the world isn't going to make masses of difference because the stock restrictions are still there...

That's the most ridiculous comment you have possible ever made... clearly your knowlegde of the single body is ranging from **** all to very limited. Are you going to FCS? If so you'll be taking that statement back as quick as you made it as your in for one hell of a shock lol.

Enlighten me.

avstar1

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup
I agree fully with the above statment from RichMcc... I for one will be looking to ditch my aircon and get a 172 cup alternator when I decide to go for this kit.

Enlighten me.

Dont bother just did a search and found a statement from someone who knows what they are on about.

zero point in a bigger TB, its not a point of restriction.

Rich - I'm not disagreeing with that, I'm actually agreeing, hence the reason people wont go for ITB's and will go for the single body instead. People serious about the performance will go for ITB's on this alone, so a none compromise option would be ideal, keeps everyone happy. I'm sure it could be done somehow.

Mark - I cant say anything right now, just wait until January and all will be revealed... okay that was a joke, just be patient and wait for FCS ;) Either way, anyone that tells you the single larger TB doesn't work, make any difference etc etc has either A) not done it themselves or B) Should find another vocation

Audi TT 225
I think a larger TB will make some difference to performance simply by letting in more air into the plenum earlier on but only to a point, maximum airflow will be achieved sooner but the problem is the restriction is still present in the plenum/manifold so after a point it becomes as usless as the stock TB LOL

Seat Leon Cupra 290
i dont know much about air flow etc, but surely it doesent matter how big the throttle body is if its a single one as just because it is bigger doesnt mean that more air can get in, as unless you use a turbo, only the same amount of air is going to want to go through,

Audi TT 225
No because in theory the larger the TB and butterfly plate the more air will get into the plenum because its not fully open all the time, so if you pushed the pedal the same amount on two different cars, one with a larger tb one with a stock one, the larger one will be allowing more air in at that moment. But as I said this will only work upto a point becuase theres only so much air that can pass through the plenum and manifold

anyone that thinks it makes no difference care to put their money where there mouth is?

It makes no difference. Just because Andy says hes got a 225bhp single TB car doesnt mean its true ;)

Anyway we digress, you said this was a thread about ITBs. :D

can you actually say with any certainty other than Ben told you though? Has he tried doing one of these without success or even at all?

it also actually says its about throttle bodies, a single throttle body is still a throttle body no? so what's your point?

Come on now Mark, stop clutching, it's getting embarrassing to read now son. Just wait til January ;)

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
Praise the lord of the mother of Troy!!

Can someone in lehmans terms please explain why this new spangled kit from Ben is better than the previous options? I grasp the idea of more air into the plenum etc but thats as far as my mechanical knowledge goes I'm afraid.

Audi TT 225
Dubai, Better design for clio's instead of a generic jenvy kit

Dont confuse ITB's with all the talk of plenums and single throttle bodies

can you actually say with any certainty other than Ben told you though?

I take my car to Ben to tune it. If he says its not worth doing then I dont get it done.

If Ben wanted to fleece me for as much money as he could he would recommend it and I would have one fitted. However he only recommends what works rather then what he can make money on.

Praise the lord of the mother of Troy!!

Can someone in lehmans terms please explain why this new spangled kit from Ben is better than the previous options? I grasp the idea of more air into the plenum etc but thats as far as my mechanical knowledge goes I'm afraid.

Read the first page and it's the second coming of Christ... read the last few and it's being played down a bit more now... so make of that what you will. Interesting bit of kit, but unless it offers power advantages or price, then I really don't get it... It's been an 8+ month anti-climax either way as everyone is being cagey about it... maybe it's made 1000+bhp though on stock internals and Ben is just waiting before he posts up the graph and then laughs his ass off at me looking a complete tit, in which case I'll hold my hands up and say fair play and order one asap.

can you actually say with any certainty other than Ben told you though?

I take my car to Ben to tune it. If he says its not worth doing then I dont get it done.

If Ben wanted to fleece me for as much money as he could he would recommend it and I would have one fitted. However he only recommends what works rather then what he can make money on.

Interesting... I used to believe most of what he told me too... more fool me and more fool you unfortunately.

He fleeced me, so what makes you so sure? Let me guess, he told you right? :lolup: If he's not done one then he cant say with any certainty can he? Lets not forget he said you cant get any decent gains off a Williams head, yet Port Formance can quite happily churn out heads with 12+bhp increases on independent RR's all day long and indeed have done.

Very true Rich, I'm just surprised to see it being played down now after so much hype and promises of it "trouncing" the competition. Maybe it is better, in which case tuners would be better advised to manage people's expectations a bit better. One of the first rules in business and pretty much common sense imo

Interesting... I used to believe most of what he told me too... more fool me and more fool you unfortunately.

Lets cut the bullshit.

As far as I can see you dont spend money on tuning, is that correct? I am not talking about £300 for an exhaust either.

I spend thousands on my car every year and have first hand experience of numerous companies. I have tried to build up some knowledge along the way and am not some numpty who bought a cheap ph1 with a throttle body conversion.

At the end of the day GDI AWT hillpower and hopefully most of Cliosport.net couldnt really give a s**t what your opinion on any given product is. If you cant afford to buy it then its just hot air.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
i cant see how the larger TB would make a noticable differnce to performance, i thought the inlet and plenham was the main issue.

i would be happy to run my clio back to back on a R/R against any other ITB clio, but it only fair if they have the same spec,

i would loose the NOS for the R/R!, surely this would prove which inlet manifold would be better ITB set up would be best.

more fool me as mine made 161hp stnadard.

Audi TT 225
I would say the only way to test it properly would be to RR a standard car, fit one kit, RR it, fit the other kit, RR it and then you'd have a good idea which is better. If you even trust RR results in the first place ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.