ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

***Tyre Poll***

what do you use/recommend and why?

• toyo proxies

Votes: 627 25.1%
  • eagle F1 gsd's

Votes: 390 15.6%
  • bridgestone potenza re720

Votes: 45 1.8%
  • dunlop sp sport

Votes: 44 1.8%
  • michelin pilot exalto

Votes: 809 32.3%
  • yoko A539's

Votes: 108 4.3%
  • kumho ecsta 712

Votes: 53 2.1%
  • other please state...

Votes: 426 17.0%

• Total voters
  1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
Whats the cheapest tyre that people would recomend?

I really don't want to top £40 per corner, but the Falkon's at £53 seem the cheapest recommended tyre

Conti Sport Contact for me, strange omission from the poll. Had two new fronts put on a few weeks back from Black Circles, last set nearly lasted 14k which I can't grumble at.

I nail it on the track come rain or shine...

I'd rather have some tyres with decent stopping distances in the rain - that's why I went for Contisports DOH :( :rolleyes:

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
rory182 said:
buy some PE2's and you can :approve:

well i was going for goodyears all round, but i've found out my steering rack is shafted on a 3 yr old car.... just out of warranty, i've got to pay for that to be fitted along with tax, mot, xmas..... shitty renaults should have kept me punto gt, less hassel and quicker!

I still think the A539 is an awesome tyre.

I have tried the following:

Yokohoma A539
Yokohoma Parada
Yokohoma A048R
Kumho Ecsta V70 (m)
Toyo Poxy
Michelin Pilot Exalto 2
Michelin Pilot Sport Cups
GoodYear GSD2 & GSD3
Continental Sport Contact

and I think that the A539 is an awesome tyre - you just have to get the pressures right, if you don't then they are all over the shop.

Close second is the GSD3 - great tyre wet or dry and don't go off like the PE2 - you can just keep on going.

THIS IS MY OPINION, NOT A POINT I WANT TO ARGUE.

/y0z

TDI tyre shreader
I currently have some uniroyal rainsports on the front of mine and i think they kick ass, in the wet its like driving in the dry the grip is amazing. the only problem i have found with them is the amount of tramling when new as the tread is so deep, but with a couple of thousand miles on them they have scrubbed in really well and i would say they are better than the A539's i had on it before, witch i still think is a good all-round tyre

172 cup
has anyone tried pirelli p zero neros?

Had them on my cup, but got exalto pe2s now.

IMO the pirellis were as good as michelins.

Lionel Richie
y0z2a said:
I still think the A539 is an awesome tyre.

I have tried the following:

Yokohoma A539
Yokohoma Parada
Yokohoma A048R
Kumho Ecsta V70 (m)
Toyo Poxy
Michelin Pilot Exalto 2
Michelin Pilot Sport Cups
GoodYear GSD2 & GSD3
Continental Sport Contact

and I think that the A539 is an awesome tyre - you just have to get the pressures right, if you don't then they are all over the shop.

Close second is the GSD3 - great tyre wet or dry and don't go off like the PE2 - you can just keep on going.

THIS IS MY OPINION, NOT A POINT I WANT TO ARGUE.

/y0z

what he said!!

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Why no conti sport in survey????

As it was standard factory fit......................

Better tyre than most in your survey?????????

Williams 2
I've had 2 lots of Yokohoma A539's on my valver and I think they have been superb in both the wet and dry. Well the car seems to stick to the road in any conditions like st*t does to a blanket!:approve:

This poll is totally flawed and lacks enough details, no size comments, try a tyre 539 on 195/45/r16 and then 205/45/r16 (or 205/40/r16), big differences, tyre pressures will also play a big factor in tyre performance as well.

This poll is completely pointless/useless IMO.

SLK 350
Apparently they are made by Hankook. I actually have Hankook all round at the moment, which are fine in the dry, but my god in the wet they are a death trap, they aquaplain like hell and the back end is extremely twitchy. Unfortunately they came with the car, but gonna run they till they die anyway then probably get some F1's.

So anygood? Ehm...no they aren't :(

miketheman2k said:
Could you write a little comparison please? :)

i havent pushed them yet due to the road conditions. although if you do need a verdict on them, ANDY has them on the GDI demo car.

if i go back round elvington airfield i'll be able to give a good comparison as i was very dissapointed with the PE2's on there, just squeeling and sliding all over.

the main thing i have noticed though, there is a definate difference in road noise.
the parada's are noticebly quieter, my girlfriend said she couldn't tell, which is because im the one who drives it all the time, but when i got onto a local concrete dual carriageway which is really loud, she said she thinks they're quiter too.

Last edited:
oh, did i hear someone mention falken ze512's?? they are aweful

theyre brilliant on REALLY low cars as they have a very curvy sidewall so enable you to have big wheels on a really low car with minimum scrubbing, but theyre dreadful for driving on.

i fitted 2 to the rear of my old 106 as it was on 17s and really low (-100mm), was going round a sweeping corner, just driving normally on my way home from work, only doing about 40 (can go round it in works transit van at 65) and the back end went, car spun , ended up facing the car that was driving behind me and ended up on othersid eof the road, luckily not hitting anything. would never buy them again.

E91 M Sport
GuyS said:
i havent pushed them yet due to the road conditions. although if you do need a verdict on them, ANDY has them on the GDI demo car.

if i go back round elvington airfield i'll be able to give a good comparison as i was very dissapointed with the PE2's on there, just squeeling and sliding all over.

Actually a dodgy road conditions verdict would be more helpful. I have heard they're great on the track, and considering the PE2's are good in the wet, I'd like to know how the parada's fair in comparison.

Cheers.

Mercedes C200,Clio R.I.P.
i use Nankang on 205/40/R17

they seem to work well for my car dont know why but they do,and they are quite cheap too.

g40steve said:
Why no conti sport in survey????

As it was standard factory fit......................

Better tyre than most in your survey?????????

because there was only 8 option so i just picked a few. hence the "other" bit at the bottom

Pete said:
This poll is totally flawed and lacks enough details, no size comments, try a tyre 539 on 195/45/r16 and then 205/45/r16 (or 205/40/r16), big differences, tyre pressures will also play a big factor in tyre performance as well.

This poll is completely pointless/useless IMO.

well then people need to comment on tyre size and profile, and pressures. its just a poll. it would be endless if i had every make in every profile and size and pressures available.
now that would be pointless!

fred, what pressures you think i should run on the parada?

im at 28 all round at the min i believe (thats how they were when they were fitted)

should i pump the fronts up to 30?

mate has paradas on 18s on his throttlebodied nitrous astra gsi and he runs 30/28 i think

Lionel Richie
its personal choice mate, i like lower pressures, most like high pressure

play about with it

try the factory setting of 33psi front 31psi rear, and go from there

ST
PE2's are for girls who belive all the hype that reno spout about them, Goodyear Eagle F1's are for men who like to drive their cars, also A539's aint too bad either!

Renault Clio 182 Trophy
Before buying my Trophy I used to borrow my wife's MX5 (mildly modified in the suspension department) for the odd hillclimb and sprint - the MX5 fraternity mainly recommend the Goodyear F1, which seemed quite good, albeit the edges of the tread wore very quickly, even in a 70 second run. I converted to Hankook RS2 (a very hard tyre by track standards - which is probably good for track days) and gained at least 1.5 to 2 seconds!