ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

wii?

what are they like, i want a xbox 360 or one of these, but the graphics look poo on them from what iv seen, are they they same as 360/ps3 with the technology, also will games like fifa/pes..... come out on wii?

E60 diesel powah
mine comes this friday! cant wait with Zelda! ive always loved nintendo, no doubt this wont be a let down either

RenaultSport Clio 172 CUP
Well i think that the wii is in a different league..

Xbox and PS3 is more hardcore an less fun! like wow look at graphics etc.. While the wii is nice a cheap has a new console concept which nintendo always seem to come up with first like the rumble packs??... I think the wii will be far more fun to play etc and you will save £££££ :)

just a shame that it cant play dvd's!: )

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
The Wii's graphics are nothing like the 360's and the PS3's

If you play alot on your own and want great graphics get the 360.

If you play alot of multiplayers get the Wii and have the most fun you'll ever have with a games console.

BMW M135i
Its like the old Gamecube situation, lots more fun games on it with less serious ones.

Still can't get over the controller for the Wii, not sure whats going on there tbh. Still i'll be getting one just to see what its like.

how uch will they be, and how do you use them controllers? lol, so they will only have silly games like zelda,rayman them sort of games but not sports simulators or thing like tom clancey .......

Revels Mum & Sister
The console is £179.99

The Wii will be mainly aimed at 'silly' games as you put it but still has stuff like Call of duty 3 etc

However if thats what you want then get a 360. Plus if you havent pre ordered a Wii I dont fancy your chances of getting one of the shelf before crimbo

how uch will they be, and how do you use them controllers? lol, so they will only have silly games like zelda,rayman them sort of games but not sports simulators or thing like tom clancey .......

excuse me???

excuse me???

i didnt mean silly, im sorry :eek: but i dont like them sort of games but liked the new concept of the controllers, also the price :rasp:

i want a xbox 360 but refuse to pay #280 for one so hopefully in jan sales they will go down a bit

lol I get where your coming from.

There will be 'Normal' games for the Wii,but developers want to make the most of the technology therefore you wont be playing them in the conventional way.

Madden and tony hawks for example, games that are on the other consoles but when playing on the Wii you use the controller to throw the football and make plays etc, and use the controller to steer, ollie etc on Tony hawks.

There are also controller add-ons, like a gun, which you slot the Wii-remote into, so you can use it as a light gun type thing (time crisis style). There is also a controller that looks similar to the gamecube one which the Wii-remote slots into so you can play games that are ported from the other consoles in the conventional way if you wish.

SLK 350
Thousands of Japanese video-game fans queued outside shops as Nintendo's Wii console went on sale. More than 1,000 people were reported outside some Tokyo stores as eager customers waited for shops to open.
About 400,000 consoles were available, but some customers were said to have left empty-handed as demand outstripped supply.
Nintendo says it had sold more than 600,000 Wii consoles in the US since the launch on 19 November.
The Wii console is the last of the new generation of game-playing gadgets to go on sale in Japan.
Sony launched the PlayStation 3 in Japan on 11 November and Microsoft's Xbox 360 has been on sale in the country for almost 12 months.
'Homage to Nintendo'
Many Japanese gamers were said to have pre-ordered their console to be sure of getting one, but those that had not were forced to queue.
o.gif
_42377392_wiijapa-getty203.jpg

inline_dashed_line.gif

A clickable guide to the Wii

At electronics store Bic Camera in Tokyo, more than 3,000 people stood in line, shop spokeswoman Naoko Ito said.
Staff began turning customers away at 0540 local time (2040 GMT) as stocks ran out, she said.
Student Kentaro Watanabe, who queued all night, had come dressed as a remote control.
"I made this (costume) by myself yesterday," he said. "This is a homage to Nintendo."
Although the Wii does not boast the high-definition graphics of the Xbox 360 or the PlayStation 3, its innovative controller and low price have won it early praise.
Motion sensors allow players to control on-screen characters and perform actions by moving the hand-held controller rather than just by pressing combinations of buttons.
Some early reviewers in the US have complained that the vigorous action demanded by the Wii controller has left them feeling stiff after a long game session.
In Japan the Wii console is priced at 25,000 yen (£113). By comparison the complete PlayStation 3 console package costs 60,000 yen (£270).
The Wii console goes on sale in Europe on 8 December. Nintendo said it hoped to have sold about four million consoles by the end of 2006.

-------------------

Barstewards!

I have pre-ordered one from Gamestation last week, they guarantee delivery before Christmas. However, I have been reading some reviews and I dont know if I am going to bother. Was looking at COD3, and it has no multi player on the Wii ?! which is a bit cack. And people are saying the novelty of using the controller as gun for example wears off very quickly, and makes the game laborius.

SLK 350
I'd want to form my own opinion tbh, this is a completely different concept, so inevitably some are going to love it and some are going to hate it. Doesn't mean the system is badly designed, just I guess it's not for everybody.

The reviews for COD3 though are mediocre apparently. I just want one for Zelda, not bothered about any of the other games, until of course Mario gets the treatment. But then theres also gems like F-Zero which are bound to be pretty sweet too :)

Apparently it's (Zelda) Ocarina of Time style and a whole world to interact with. The amount of times I used to play the fishing mini-game on Ocarina lol

Last edited:

dk

911 GTS Cab
I'd want to form my own opinion tbh, this is a completely different concept, so inevitably some are going to love it and some are going to hate it. Doesn't mean the system is badly designed, just I guess it's not for everybody.

The reviews for COD3 though are mediocre apparently. I just want one for Zelda, not bothered about any of the other games, until of course Mario gets the treatment. But then theres also gems like F-Zero which are bound to be pretty sweet too :)

Apparently it's (Zelda) Ocarina of Time style and a whole world to interact with. The amount of times I used to play the fishing mini-game on Ocarina lol
thats why i don't want one, a next gen game like COD3 and the graphics are poor compared to the 360 version, games just won't look as good, they will have the same playability, just not looking as good.

Can't understand how people say it will be more fun the the 360, how exactly? I have a lot of fun with the 360 and definitely won't be getting a wii as i can see that controller being a flash in the pan and people getting bored of it, either that or losing grip with it and smashing their LCD's like has already been reported, imagine coming back from the pub drunk, playing bowling and losing grip and the controller flies, will be easy to do.

But then i have never been a fan of any Nintendo system, I think they are for kids, thats my opinion, no need to flame me for it, just what I think, never really liked any of the games on the systems except maybe mariokart and goldeneye in their day.

No online gaming at launch, why, MS can manage it and even SOny has managed it!

I hope it all lives up to your expectations, it just wouldn't be anything i could ever see me enjoying.

SLK 350

thats why i don't want one, a next gen game like COD3 and the graphics are poor compared to the 360 version, games just won't look as good, they will have the same playability, just not looking as good.

Can't understand how people say it will be more fun the the 360, how exactly? I have a lot of fun with the 360 and definitely won't be getting a wii as i can see that controller being a flash in the pan and people getting bored of it, either that or losing grip with it and smashing their LCD's like has already been reported, imagine coming back from the pub drunk, playing bowling and losing grip and the controller flies, will be easy to do.

But then i have never been a fan of any Nintendo system, I think they are for kids, thats my opinion, no need to flame me for it, just what I think, never really liked any of the games on the systems except maybe mariokart and goldeneye in their day.

I hope it all lives up to your expectations, it just wouldn't be anything i could ever see me enjoying.

What the fack????

dk

911 GTS Cab

What the fack????
which part don't you like?

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
You have to remember taht there are 2 types of console user.

The first plays most games on there own, therefore is more concerned with teh graphics, plot of a game. From Dave post he is one of these.

The second is those who like to muck about with there friends. The graphics and plot don't really matter as much aslong as your having fun with your mates.

The wii is aimed towards the second, sure there will be some singleplayer games that the others can't match for involing the player into the game as much. The 360 and PS3 cannot match the sword weileding, gun totting action etc.

Which is more fun? Depends on what you see as fun. I personally find the idea of jumping around the room emulating actions closer to real life with a bunch of mates far more fun than indulging into a game which require more mental and button pushing to be rewarding.

SLK 350

The part where you start to sound like a 12 year old fanboy arguing with his friend that his dad is harder than his mates.

And the fact that despite the fact you haven't even played on the Wii, that your already slating the thing - Nice work, you sound about as informed as these tards on Migweb that repeatedly comment that the Clio 1X2 doesn't handle.

Nothing like a bit of prejugdice.

Personally I couldn't care less what console 'owns' what, I'm not that blind sighted, It's plain to see that the Wii isn't aimed at the same demographic as the 360/PS3. For a start it's half the price, it has a revolutionary control system, and it has a very 'family' orientated marketing campaign behind it - The basic idea being, "we want to get non-gamers involved in gaming" and no amount of 360/PS3 HD graphics will manage that.

Take your blinkers off and stop being so judgemental, each system will fight it's own corner, there's room enough for the Wii in the market, and personally I hope it proves a popular concept.

End of story.

dk

911 GTS Cab

The part where you start to sound like a 12 year old fanboy arguing with his friend that his dad is harder than his mates.

And the fact that despite the fact you haven't even played on the Wii, that your already slating the thing - Nice work, you sound about as informed as these tards on Migweb that repeatedly comment that the Clio 1X2 doesn't handle.

Nothing like a bit of prejugdice.

Personally I couldn't care less what console 'owns' what, I'm not that blind sighted, It's plain to see that the Wii isn't aimed at the same demographic as the 360/PS3. For a start it's half the price, it has a revolutionary control system, and it has a very 'family' orientated marketing campaign behind it - The basic idea being, "we want to get non-gamers involved in gaming" and no amount of 360/PS3 HD graphics will manage that.

Take your blinkers off and stop being so judgemental, each system will fight it's own corner, there's room enough for the Wii in the market, and personally I hope it proves a popular concept.

End of story.
thats the whole point of an opinion though, I am allowed one and you can't say its wrong, just like I stated this was opinion and I hoped it would live up to the peoples expectations that have ordered one.

You are the one getting all petty as i don't agree with you.

The only part that wasn't my opinion is that COD3 is nowhere near as graphically rich as the 360 version which I have and as has been said, the reports so far aren't that good for it, and there are also concerns over the control system.

I am not using blinkers, I have used many a nintendo and have always disliked their games so there is no reason to believe that this is going to be any different.

Prejudice, really, i don't think so, i just don't like nintendos games or systems, it seems a shame that they seem to have sent all their time on the controller and none on the visual appeal of the games and it going online and playing dvd's etc. It just doesn't seem to be that much better than the gamecube with a different controller?

Like I said though, I am entitled to my opinion and I hope people like their systems, I do wonder if it would be quite as popular as it will be if the PS3 had launched here now too and there had not been stock shortages around the world. It has its audience and thats great, i just think it could have been so much better.

dave182 said:

Whilst not as relevant to the UK market, Madden NFL on the Wii looks nothing like the 360 version (as would be expected), however it is apparently the best version by far due to the control method employed....

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=15424&type=wmv

So whilst I would never want or expect to 'convert' you to the Wii, I hope you will see that whilst they won't look as good, playability will be different...and it's up to the individual to decide if 'different' is good or bad for them. Madden is EAs first effort as well and they are hardly known for being creative, so once developers really start utilizing the Wiimote who knows what is capable.

As Saner has said, it's also down to what you want from a console. As we always have 2 or 3 people around the house I almost only ever play multiplayer games, so the Wii seems absolutely perfect in that respect. I would imagine a solitary gamer would probably find the 360 more rewarding.

The DS took abuse from the tech-heads before it was released for its sub-standard graphics and lack of multimedia abilities, especially compared to the PSP. But look at how well that is going, comfortably outselling the PSP everywhere at a rate of nearly 3:1 I believe.

dk

911 GTS Cab
dave182 said:

Whilst not as relevant to the UK market, Madden NFL on the Wii looks nothing like the 360 version (as would be expected), however it is apparently the best version by far due to the control method employed....

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=15424&type=wmv

So whilst I would never want or expect to 'convert' you to the Wii, I hope you will see that whilst they won't look as good, playability will be different...and it's up to the individual to decide if 'different' is good or bad for them. Madden is EAs first effort as well and they are hardly known for being creative, so once developers really start utilizing the Wiimote who knows what is capable.

As Saner has said, it's also down to what you want from a console. As we always have 2 or 3 people around the house I almost only ever play multiplayer games, so the Wii seems absolutely perfect in that respect. I would imagine a solitary gamer would probably find the 360 more rewarding.

The DS took abuse from the tech-heads before it was released for its sub-standard graphics and lack of multimedia abilities, especially compared to the PSP. But look at how well that is going, comfortably outselling the PSP everywhere at a rate of nearly 3:1 I believe.
this is true, all my friends have 360's and we all play on live so its the best of both worlds, all chatting together while enjoying beautiful graphics on full screen, but as you say, if you had a few people around it would probably be very sociable, i couldn't justify it for those odd occasions though.

and again, there will always be games that are better on one system, i guess the ps3 is going to be the system to merge the two, it has the graphics and the games i like and the controller is sort of like the wii's it can tilt and detect all movements to be used in a similar way to the wii remote i guess.

SLK 350
See you put that point across a lot more thoughtfully, and I accept that.

But I still don't think you can tar this system by the same brush as the N64/GC just yet. Nintendo has had tremendous success with the DS(Lite) over PSP sales, and that clearly shows that innovation, and R&D is rewarded. The DS can be seen in the hands of many non-gamer types, and that alone is a triumph over the geeky stigma.

The graphics have nothing to do with Nintendo, it's down to developers to get to grips with the dev kits and start churning out quality releases, both graphically and otherwise. The Wii is a capable system, and rarely do the initial releases ever reach a systems potential, I'm sure Zelda will buck that trend though - sure next to a HD system it may not look as sharp, but frankly, graphics don't make a game for me, it's all about gameplay (Look at UT99 over UT2K4 for example) and if the Wii delivers gameplay that's unrivaled by MS/Sony then I applaud it, with subsequent releases both developers understanding of the system, and the finer aspects of the controls I believe we'll see software thats unique to the Wii.

As for DVD, whats the point in including DVD hardware to a games system, In all my years of owning a PS2 and the Xbox, I think I watched about 5 DVD's combined on both, dedicated players always prevail. In a game machine, I want to play games...thats the point of Wii, its a games machine. For me at least it's no loss, and certainly not a worthy inclusion at a likely £50 price hike!

HD It would of been nice indeed, but i've yet to witness what the Wii can churn out, so I'll cross that bridge when I get to see the console.

dk

911 GTS Cab
See you put that point across a lot more thoughtfully, and I accept that.

But I still don't think you can tar this system by the same brush as the N64/GC just yet. Nintendo has had tremendous success with the DS(Lite) over PSP sales, and that clearly shows that innovation, and R&D is rewarded. The DS can be seen in the hands of many non-gamer types, and that alone is a triumph over the geeky stigma.

The graphics have nothing to do with Nintendo, it's down to developers to get to grips with the dev kits and start churning out quality releases, both graphically and otherwise. The Wii is a capable system, and rarely do the initial releases ever reach a systems potential, I'm sure Zelda will buck that trend though - sure next to a HD system it may not look as sharp, but frankly, graphics don't make a game for me, it's all about gameplay (Look at UT99 over UT2K4 for example) and if the Wii delivers gameplay that's unrivaled by MS/Sony then I applaud it, with subsequent releases both developers understanding of the system, and the finer aspects of the controls I believe we'll see software thats unique to the Wii.

As for DVD, whats the point in including DVD hardware to a games system, In all my years of owning a PS2 and the Xbox, I think I watched about 5 DVD's combined on both, dedicated players always prevail. In a game machine, I want to play games...thats the point of Wii, its a games machine. For me at least it's no loss, and certainly not a worthy inclusion at a likely £50 price hike!

HD It would of been nice indeed, but i've yet to witness what the Wii can churn out, so I'll cross that bridge when I get to see the console.
see now i was always a psp man so i think we can see a pattern emerging here, i agree on the DVD front but also think that the 360 and ps3 having a HD drive (as an option for the 360 obviously) is a great advantage as it just adds more value to the system, having a wii only will mean either paying £500 for a HD-DVD or £1000 for a bluray to watch HD films, i guess if that isn't your bag then not to worry, for me its a great selling point though. I like systems that do lots of things, not just a single use.

Who knows, maybe a mate will get one and I will get to play one one day, i just won't be eague to do it thats all, the 360 satisfies all my needs at the moment, but for people who had the GC, I guess this is their time now for a new console.

I know you say the graphics are not down to the developers, but why is COD3 so different graphically, its not even as good as COD2 which was a launch title for the 360 from what i have seen, I just hope the contoller being used as a gun makes up for it.

SLK 350
HD-DVD won't be £500 at all...In fact right now you can buy the Toshiba HD-E1 for little over £300, bearing in mind this is one of only two players released in pretty confident that by the times it's actually worth getting HD, that the market will be flooded with such players, and dropping the price inevitably.

You say it's "added value" but how is it added value exactly when you're paying for the hardware to be there in the first place? It's built into the price you're paying, and the HD-DVD is indeed an add-on at again extra cost. By the time you factor in +£50~ for DVD hardware, and £130 for the HD-DVD player, to me it's not "added-value". As for Blueray, well I wish it a speedy demise, I won't be supporting it. Again though you're clearly missing the point - How can you feasibly expect a £180 Wii to perform all these different uses? It's a games machine, it's sold as such, if people want to watch DVD, they use a DVD player (who doesn't have one?) and if they want to utilise HD-DVD they too can buy a HD-DVD which will wipe the floor with any non-dedicated playback device such as a 360, and harbour better outputs too.

Wrong, I'm saying the graphics aren't down to Nintendo (paragraph 2, prev post) and everything to do with developers. COD3 seems like a hastily drawn together release that doesn't make the best of of either the control system, or the performance of the Wii - tbh best ignored. I'll judge the performance of the Wii based on Zelda, as I know Nintendo wouldn't release anything less than 110% as far as that legacy is concerned.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Top 10 WII Games. Nothing comes close to Zelda as yet. No doubt Mario will push the boundaries, and hopefully Mario Kart! :)

1. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess 95.2%
2. Trauma Center: Second Opinion 84.0%
3. Madden NFL 07 83.5%
4. Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 80.4%
5. Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 79.8%
6. Rayman Raving Rabbids79.4%
7. Wii Sports 76.6%
8. Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam 75.8%
9. Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz 75.2%
10. Call of Duty 3 74.5%

Revels Mum & Sister
Cant wait to play Zelda, Wiisports and Monkey Ball.

I love monkey ball. I am really excited about the Wii, I love the concept should be ace.

SLK 350
you can get a core for £200. hardly double the price!

In the said post, I speak of 360/PS3, the PS3 is likely going to be £370+ in vanilla format.

360 Core + HD-DVD = £330+
360 Prem + HD-DVD = £410+
PS3 = £370+ Expected.
Wii = £180

The 360 isn't bad value for just a Core pack, when pitched against the Wii, it's a good price. However when you start bolting things onto it, it becomes an expensive game, and given the 360's direct competition is the PS3, you're looking at £400 machines.

Eitherway you pays your money and you takes your choice. I doubt i'll be buying any console, but I just don't see why everyone is so ready to dismiss Nintendo's attempts are bringing something new to the table, graphics really aren't that important, are they?

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
The reviews i have read of the first batch of games for the wii have been dissapointing.

wiisports was not very in depth (but yes it does come for free.)

red steel is meant to have major issues witrh the gameplay as the gun shooting is quite random.

wii minigames is meant to be shite and have horrid game control using the controllers.

However, i still have faith the wii will be a great machine. My bro is getting one on friday so i am going to go down for a weekend of plytime to see if i like it or not!

Nintendo had to try something revolutionary to capture some decent percentage in the console market and hopefully they will succeed, but imo they will need to up the rate of decent games to come out and evolve a great online play system as that is what a lot of gamers want now a days.

I'll probably still get a wii though for the games like mario. maariokart and mario smash melee! imagine mariokart/mario smash melee on multiplayer onlnie! that would be cool.

didn't realsie a core 360 was £200, seems good value to me! i think microsoft got the 360 all right and they may also get my business instead.

the wii vs the 360/ps3 is a funny one, both are aimed at different markets.

i actually want the wii to be a real success as i ama secret closet nintendo fanboy ;) but i9 tihkn i will always be buying a 360 or ps3 purely for GTA tbh.

SLK 350
GTA on the Wii?

-----------------

Cubed3 is reporting that Reggie Fils-Aime (NOA President) has been in talks with quite a few third-parties about support for the Wii. Take Two just happens to be one of them (and the developer of Grand Theft Auto). While Nintendo and Grand Theft Auto aren't normally seen in the same sentence - this hasn't kept Reggie from persuing the possibility. Cubed3 quotes him as saying: ...

"We're reaching out to every publisher, frankly every day. I'll be spending some time later today with the folks over at Take Two to see what type of support they can give our console. The fact is there will be M-rated content on the Wii console. EA has already announced that they're bringing 'The Godfather' to our console. And we want every single best-selling game to be available on Wii. Whatever that content is."

-----------------------

Source: A lengthy article on MTV News.
gtavice_thumb002.jpg

What we heard: At its pre-Electronic Entertainment Expo press conference in May, Microsoft stunned attendees by announcing that Grand Theft Auto IV would be released on the Xbox 360 the same day and date it arrives on the PlayStation 3. Though Sony reps would later play it down, the development meant that the long exclusivity window that prior GTA games had on the PlayStation 2 would not survive the next-generation console transition.
But while Grand Theft Auto III, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas all appeared on the Xbox, no GTA game ever made it to the GameCube. In fact, the only GTA games to make it to a Nintendo platform were the handheld top-down titles Grand Theft Auto (Game Boy Color, 1999), Grand Theft Auto 2 (GBC, 2000), and Grand Theft Auto Advance (Game Boy Advance, 2004).
However, now comes word that the Wii might be carjacked by the GTA franchise. Speaking to MTV News at last week's Wii press conference in New York City, Nintendo of America president and COO Reggie Fils-Aime revealed that the Mario Factory is in talks with Take-Two Interactive, parent of GTA publisher Rockstar Games. "I'll be spending some time later today with the folks over at Take-Two to see what type of support they can give our console," he said. So far, Take-Two has only expressed interest in using Wii's motion-sensing functions for a baseball game.
Though he didn't mention any specific titles to MTV, the outspoken executive did say that Nintendo wants the Wii to have more adult-oriented content than the GameCube did. That console's catalog was dominated by family-friendly offerings, although it had several notable M-rated games, such as Killer7 and Resident Evil 4.
"The fact is there will be M-rated content on the Wii console," said Fils-Aime. "EA has already announced that they're bringing [the GTA-like crime game] The Godfather to our console. And we want every single best-selling game to be available on Wii. Whatever that content is."
The official story: Fils-Aime's comments have ignited a firestorm of speculation among prospective Wii buyers and GTA addicts. However, they are not official confirmation of plans for a Wii GTA--or any particular Take-Two title for the platform. Requests for comment sent to Nintendo, Take-Two, and Rockstar had not been returned as of press time.
Bogus or not bogus?: Not bogus that Take-Two and Nintendo are talking. As for GTA on the Wii? The once-unthinkable notion now appears to be a possibility.