ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Yes, it's another Mk1 16v (maybe F4R) Project!

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
Yes, it's another Mk1 16v (maybe F4R/172) Project!

Right so I bought this car about 15 months ago, for the first year didnt really do anything to it apart from a few new parts etc. Then I decided I wanted to change it around a bit! I will let the pics do a bit of talking!

How I bought the car:

Picture002.jpg

DSC01211.jpg

Picture010.jpg

Anyway I decided I got bored of the wheels so I picked up some williams wheels to refurb:

IMG_0105.jpg

IMG_0119.jpg

IMG_0109.jpg

IMG_0120.jpg

Last edited:

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
After a lot of hard work I decided to just send them off to be done professionally after all! :dead:

So I got them done in silver:

silverwheels.jpg

I havnt got any proper pics of them on the car yet yet but here is some from the door of my garage that I took today:

100_1971.jpg

100_1972.jpg

Points to anyone who spots pedobear! :eek:

Last edited:

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
Next up was the 4-pot Brembos from a 406 coupe. Got these stupidly cheap so I couldn’t really refuse!

Here they are as I got them:

Brembo.jpg

First I removed the pad sliders and removed any corrosion and re-greased before refitting. This is a common problem with these callipers.

Then I set about cleaning and stripping off all the old paint which wasn’t in a good way! I used a normal 240v drill with a few wire brushes and lots of nitro-mors!

100_1966.jpg

100_1968.jpg

100_1963.jpg

100_1961.jpg

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
Next up was the 4-pot Brembos from a 406 coupe. Got these stupidly cheap so I couldn’t really refuse!

Here they are as I got them:

Brembo.jpg

First I removed the pad sliders and removed any corrosion and re-greased before refitting. This is a common problem with these callipers.

Then I set about cleaning and stripping off all the old paint which wasn’t in a good way! I used a normal 240v drill with a few wire brushes and lots of nitro-mors!

100_1966.jpg

100_1968.jpg

100_1963.jpg

100_1961.jpg

Then came the job of masking it all up ready for spraying!

100_1976.jpg

100_1978.jpg

And then I set up my “spray booth” lol

100_1975.jpg

100_1974.jpg

Here they are with a very light “primer” spray

100_1981.jpg

And then I gave them a good coating of VHT paint.

100_1980.jpg

100_1983.jpg

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
Looking good so far! Bet the Brembo's will work on such a small car!

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
How much effort will it take to fit the brembos? they wont be a straight fit will they?

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Well i didnt know that, theres a 406 coupe in my local scrappy, might go aquire these brakes for a future car...

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
Well i didnt know that, theres a 406 coupe in my local scrappy, might go aquire these brakes for a future car...

Yep, fit staight on with a couple of washers to centralise the calliper over the discs! Need at least 15mm spacers on most 15" wheels though! Oh and bigger discs from a mk2 172/182.

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
Ok, this needs an update!

I started ripping out the old engine on wednesday morning.

Very start of the day:

IMG_0020.jpg

Exhaust system off:

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0029.jpg

Rad etc out:

IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

Shafts out:

IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
Currently I am having problems getting it started. I have connected up all the wiring as it should be, but when I turn the key, the starter turns the engine over but the fuel pump is not priming/runing and also I am sure there is no spark. I am thinking it is immobiliser related, possibly the ECU.

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
If it ran Andrews car when he testsed it I dont think it can be, unless you are very unlucky

Thats what I was thinking! Who knows! :S

Edit: He is on his way here now so hopefully he will be able to shed some light on it!

330i. E30 Touring.
Glad to see my old lump's going into something worthwhile! This is going to be awesome!

330i. E30 Touring.
PMSL. Would the key/door locks/decoder ring from the 172 help? I think I've still got 'em somewhere..

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
might sound stupid but have a poke around the the brown connector box when the car is in ignition 2.mine was doing the same and it was a loose connection in the brown plug that was stopping it starting