ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Yes, it's another Mk1 16v (maybe F4R) Project!

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
top bombing :approve:

I found that PAS reservoir bracket if you still want it

Actually yeah I wouldn't mind getting that from you, the reservoir seems to be floating about right now. Might as well secure it properly!

Edit:

Oh also mate, I fitted my coilpack back where it should be like you have and "waterproofed" the plug but when I shut the bonnet I am sure it is sparking onto it! The air scoop grill thingy is far too close to it. What exactly did you do?

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
Interesting induction setup you've got there Pat.

Hmm, its not ideal! The inlets on the box are facing into the corner of the bay but for some reason I can not get the box to sit in betweem the battery and thermostat housing like everyone else has been doing.....:S Also the standard elbow is too big/long so I need to buy a silicone 1 that I can chop up a bit!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Wasn't a dig mate! Just never seen one like it before.

I *think* everyone runs with the battery inside the car don't they? Therefore creating more space. I've got an espace V6 airbox and theres no way a battery would fit in there aswell!

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
Wasn't a dig mate! Just never seen one like it before.

I *think* everyone runs with the battery inside the car don't they? Therefore creating more space. I've got an espace V6 airbox and theres no way a battery would fit in there aswell!

I might try and see if I can turn the box around so the inlets face the front and hook up some CAF to it but for now it is ok. Also if you noticed I had to use the standard elbow the wrong way around to get it to fit, as the flexi bit helped locate it!

BMW M5 & E36
I'm using a little Odyssey 25 in the standard location, just layed on its side so my filter can go over the top of it with a 45* elbow. Not a Ph1/v6 airbox but still :)

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
Tomorrows plans:

1) Fit the proper spring bolts onto the manifold-cat joint as it is currently using solid bolts.

2) Sort out the coilpack location once and for all!

3) Raise the engine mounts another ~5mm to try and get full clearance on exhaust. (Although just this evening I had a thought about perhaps lowering the rear of subframe 5mm with the help of washers....Anyone thought about this before?)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Only think that concerns me with altering engine mounts is the effect on the angles of the driveshafts. Unless I'm completely wrong?

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
Only think that concerns me with altering engine mounts is the effect on the angles of the driveshafts. Unless I'm completely wrong?

I think you would have to alter the angle drastically for it to become an issue! The CV joints will allow more abgle than standard to a certain degree.

'92 172, Lotus Elise
yeh, CV joints will compensate for that

but raising your engine is probably is what's making the coilpack spark on the bonnet?

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member

but raising your engine is probably is what's making the coilpack spark on the bonnet?

Ah yes, didnt think of this! :rasp:

Any idea on dropping the subframe? My exhaust is currently fouling on something directly below the doughnut joint. Is this the subfarme? As in, If I was to remove the subframe totally would I be able to see that joint fully?

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
i'd be more inclined to 'fix' the downpipe before changing the subframe!

but that will be a pain in the arse and will cost me :( I am using a pug downpipe, maybe that is my problem! How much clearance do people get using the top half of the 172 cat?

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
I use a standard 172 decat pipe and never had it knock

it's mighty close mind, but so is everything else in the engine bay :rolleyes: (i've had to raise bonnet again to clear the new ITB airbox lol)

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member

I realised why the leads were sparking onto the bonnet and my hands! The top of 3 leads have a very small crack in the rubber and the 4th 1 has a gaping slit in the rubber! I guess that explains it! :eek:

Where will I get "best cash price" on a new set?

The exact same happened to Adams^, we could hear it sparking and missing but not see it, then we realised a couple of the leads had tiny pin prick holes in them causing it. Replaced it and its been fine since... No idea why they were anywhere near the vent though as mine was always fine, must have been the way he had his engine sat..

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
The exact same happened to Adams^, we could hear it sparking and missing but not see it, then we realised a couple of the leads had tiny pin prick holes in them causing it. Replaced it and its been fine since... No idea why they were anywhere near the vent though as mine was always fine, must have been the way he had his engine sat..

What do you mean?

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
When I had my coilpack in the standard position the leads were quite a bit clear of the bonnet vent...

Ah, ok well I have raised my engine by about 5 or 6mm aswell so maybe thats my prob. I need to get a new set of leads first though! Any idea on best value set and where to buy?

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
New addition to the boot today:

DSC00175.jpg

DSC00176.jpg

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
Bad weekend, on the way to Birmingham on the M40 my backbox decided to crack at the weld and drop off, this couple with a straight through exhaust made for a VERY loud trip back today and my ears are no very sore :(

DSC00178.jpg