ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Yes, it's another Mk1 16v (maybe F4R) Project!

Its floating round on the net somewhere, I found it on another forum then Matteh told me Laine had said the same the day after!

HBT 172 Cup
I had to do it to get RPM to get the rev counter to work on my standalone ECU, got the tip from VEMS forum so i cant claim it either :p.

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
Ok quick question guys, on the bottom of the throttle body there is a couple of metal pipes sticking out that look like they should have something joined to them? Any ideas?

Usually just the one, needs some hose on it going to the back of the rocker cover where the oil breather is

Yeah, well Adam had a 'f4r' throttle body that had 3 outlets on it on the bottom, turns out it was from a Laguna

Patrick have you got any pictures?

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
No but will get some later. How far does your coolant gauge go up before your fan kicks in? Mine goes past where it did with the valver lump which worried me a bit.

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
3/4 of the way up is what mine stays at, then a little more for it to open then tiny notch more for the fan to kick in.

where is this oil breather located, and does it connect to this bit circled
P230310_151202-1.jpg

also is this what your throttle body looks patrick

'92 172, Lotus Elise
Glad you've got it all working! :D

I'm now back home and off for a week, so if you have anything you need a hand with, pop round ;)

No but will get some later. How far does your coolant gauge go up before your fan kicks in? Mine goes past where it did with the valver lump which worried me a bit.

this is from the manual:

Sensor 244 enables:
- the coolant temperature to be indicated on the
instrument panel,
- the injection computer to be informed of the
engine coolant temperature.

Depending on the coolant temperature, the injection
computer controls:
- the injection system,
- the fan assembly relays:
• the fan assembly is controlled at low speed if
the coolant temperature exceeds 100 °C and
stops when the temperature falls below
96 °C,
• the fan assembly is controlled at high speed
if the coolant temperature exceeds 102 °C
and stops when the temperature falls below
100 °C,
• the fan assembly may be controlled at low
speed for the anti-percolation system and at
high or low speed for the AC.
- the coolant temperature warning light.

COOLANT TEMPERATURE WARNING LIGHT
The warning light is controlled by the injection
computer if the coolant temperature exceeds 118
°C and is switched off if the temperature falls below
115 °C.

3/4 of the way up is what mine stays at, then a little more for it to open then tiny notch more for the fan to kick in.

where is this oil breather located, and does it connect to this bit circled
P230310_151202-1.jpg

also is this what your throttle body looks patrick

IMG_1475-1.jpg

Onto there Rob^

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
Just went to meet Matteh and he sorted out my clutch pedal, we trimmed the pedal stop and adjusted the ratchet and the pedal is now PERFECT! :D

The car was great to drive before but now it is really awesome! So easy and no "pushing" it into gear!

Thanks again mate! (The drive home was spot on!)

Just need to sort my knocking exhaust, rev counter, slight leak on radiator and oil gauges and I am there! :cool:

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Just went to meet Matteh and he sorted out my clutch pedal, we trimmed the pedal stop and adjusted the ratchet and the pedal is now PERFECT! :D

The car was great to drive before but now it is really awesome! So easy and no "pushing" it into gear!

Thanks again mate! (The drive home was spot on!)

Just need to sort my knocking exhaust, rev counter, slight leak on radiator and oil gauges and I am there! :cool:

I'm going to look at this clutch pedal mod I think...

As for your exhaust, I got a custom stainless one made from the manifold to the backbox with an extra hanger in there to keep it all tight, was £140 fitted. Well worth the money imo.

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
Nice one - now get some miles on it and realise the better fuel economy and reliability is miles better :)

I am looking forward to this! :cool: I am half tempted to drive it to creamfields (liverpool) this weekend....or I might just let my mate drive! lol

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
get in there fella! - been away and only just seen this thread! Awesome and inspiring - best thread in a while.

Cheers dude, pretty happy with myself. First time I have doen anything like this and it only took me 3 days from start to finish! ;) Although alot of credit due to all the other Mk1 F4R boys for ironing out all the issues first! ;)

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
Had a bad day today! :dapprove:

Engine loom caught fire on the M1! I was driving along, car was running perfectly. Next thing I knew, engine died... I puled over to hard shoulder and smoke starting pouring from the front end.

I quickly jumped out and popped the bonnet, and the engine loom was burning! I realised it was the starter/alternator cable (all the insultation had melted off it!) . I luckily managed to blow/shake out what flames were there, luckily it wasn't too serious!

When I inspected it later I was very shocked to see what had caused it, basically the lower alternator bolt had somehow worked itself loose and shifted out about 3 inches :eek:. It had then either melted or rubbed through the insulation of the alternator cable and there was my problem!

Oh and before you all ask how the fuse did not protect it, there was no fuse on the cable ad it was connected directly to the battery :rolleyes:

So now I need a new loom and more than likely I have fried my battery so that will need replacing aswell :(

oops, I spoke to soon. You can probably use the wiring from the old engine, assuming nothing else is damaged it's just battery to starter and alternator.

The battery might be OK, give it a gentle charge and see how it comes up.

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
oops, I spoke to soon. You can probably use the wiring from the old engine, assuming nothing else is damaged it's just battery to starter and alternator.

The battery might be OK, give it a gentle charge and see how it comes up.

I think it has melted through a few other cables :(

Does it run in series from battery-starter-alternator? So there is 2 cables at the starter and 1 at alternator?

'92 172, Lotus Elise
you can get a spanner between the manifold sections to remove the starter cable - no need to remove anything :)

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
Loom off - Will get pics of the damage later! :eek:

On a plus note I am now off out to Surrey to buy a new loom! I don't like hanging about looking at dead cars :cool:

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
LOL! Yeh it was a right s**tter when that decided to f**k up in the fast lane of the M1.

Anyway, today I fitted my new loom and this time decided to do a proper job and make it nice and tidy! Cue my sparky skills coming through! Pics on their way! ;)

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
Removing the old loom 1 wire at a tiem and connecting in the new loom:

100_2054.jpg

New loom fully wire in, but into connector blocks as a temp job just to make sure it was all running nicely:

100_2059.jpg

It all ran fine so next up was my super duper cable box!

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
Fully waterproof cable joint box. It's nice having a van full of sparky stuff!

100_2060.jpg

100_2061.jpg

Lid on:

100_2062.jpg

Plugged in and tucked away! :cool:

100_2064.jpg