ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

£600-800 on a TV

SLK 350
Was looking at upgrading the TV from my 37" to a 42". Been hovering over the buy button on a Panny Viera P42G20B, which according to all reports is a great TV. However, if anybody has any recommendation over others in the same price range I'm all ears.

Dip

04 Clio 16V Dynamique
Are you only interested in Plasma? You could get a Samsung Series 6 (C650 2010 Model) LCD for that. Amazon have the 46" for £785.

I'm buying one soon. In fact I was looking at the same Panny, Fenwicks/Bentalls (Kingston) have it for £820 - But you get 5 years warranty + 0% for 12 Months.

Difficult with all the choice out there atm!

SLK 350
im ordering this,

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/lg-42ld550-42-full-hd-lcd-tv-04978994-pdt.html

£455ish with a code. ' quid5 '

plus quidco if you use it.

and you can collect in store :)

great for a tv that is £899 in some places still.

Different proposition altogether.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/tv-should-i-buy/1296852-lg-42ld550-redduced-currys-any-good.html

Will stick to what I know is good, will check out the Sammy, but prefer the blacks and SD pictures on Plasma, much kinder, given 80% of what I watch is still SD.

SLK 350
Ah, now that looks an interesting alternative (£694) FiXX. Any if you guys happen to own either TV and care to share pro/cons? Cheers!

Golf gti ed30+bmw m3
i have a 50pk590 in the bedroom.... fantastic set in almost every way, its only downside is the screens reflectivity if its going to be opposite windows. It dosent affect me mind. also look at the cheaper pk350 which is the same panel minus the THX certification, 2 HDMI ports, freesat HD and the netcast onlise services if those dont interest you. The 590 though which i can vouch for is an amazing set with an amazing picture straight out the box! It also has great blacks (0.04 cd/mq).

Last edited:

J273

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182
i have a 50pk590 in the bedroom.... fantastic set in almost every way, its only downside is the screens reflectivity if its going to be opposite windows. It dosent affect me mind. also look at the cheaper pk350 which is the same panel minus the THX certification, 2 HDMI ports, freesat HD and the netcast onlise services if those dont interest you. The 590 though which i can vouch for is an amazing set with an amazing picture straight out the box! It also has great blacks (0.04 cd/mq).

Thats good to hear ive just bought one of these (pk590) receive it tomorrow.

SLK 350
Nice, appreciate a second opinion on it. Particularly the SD images, Freeview HD and maybe PS3/360 :)

What did you pay for it, and what retailer? If you don't mind my asking!

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Panny plasma everytime for me.
@ work we have all sorts of makes of screen from 32" to 65" & over the pannys are excellent.
Don't get too anal about pictures etc as the avforums do (so of them look for faults i just watch the match) as everyones taste is different ;)

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
i got a panny plasma about 10 months ago for 900, better than most new other brands out even now!

Clio 172 Cup
I have the same Panasonic your looking at and I couldn't rate it enough!

I use it for Sky HD, PS3 for gaming and Blu-rays. People always comment on the picture quality and colour when they watch anything on it.

So it's a big thumbs up from me :approve:

SLK 350
Ok, so I guess my choice is:

Panny G20 - 42" - £800
LG 590 - 50" - £700

I'm edging toward the Panny simply because I'm viewing it from around 8ft away, dare I say it, but I'm thinking a 50" would be too big. Ideally I'd not be looking for a replacement in the next 3-5 years, and in that time I expect to have a house (12mth/18mth) with an A/V room, in which case a 50" would be perfect.

I was waiting for 3D, but tbh I now couldn't care less. Until they develop 3D TV without glasses, or even better projectors I'll buy in. For now even Freeview HD would be a massive bonus.

172 mk2 Iceberg
Samsung 7000 series you can plug a hd in direct for 1080p 720p downloaded films playback

free-view hd isnt out till next April, id bank on getting a separate box with a hd in for off air recording

Golf gti ed30+bmw m3
freeview hd has already been launched, i can view HD channels via the built in tuner on the pk590, you can also plug in HDD's, memory sticks and stream via your pc 1080p content.