ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

02 reg Clio 172 vs. 53 reg Clio 172 ...

Black Ph2 172
Morning guys,

As I have mentioned in another thread I have replaced my old 02 reg Clio which I wrote off with a 53 reg model.

I am very happy with the new car but have noticed that in terms of sound it doesn't sound as 'inductiony' (probably not a word!) or seem to have as much low down torque. My old 172 definately didn't have an induction kit on it and so I was wondering whether anything else could explain this difference?

Cheers,

Andy

BMW E46 330i Touring
An incredible difference in quality and performance from engine to engine mate; your old one may have been particularly good or your new one still needs opening up a bit.

Change the oil, stick in a few tanks of decent petrol, warm her up and give a good thrashing for a few months, she'll soon sound better!

How many miles has the new one done? As they seem to get quicker with mileage.

Also, as Ads says, there is quite a difference between different engines.

M4 LCI, X1, ZX10R
My 53 plate 172 felt pretty good.

But as said they vary between cars abit too much.

Maybe try a new filter or an ITG filter and some v-power for a while.

Black Ph2 172
My old one had done 45k and my new one has done 40k. I believe it has always been run on Optimax.

A friend of mine suggested a new filter, are you refering to a panel filer? So ITG is the best one to get? How much do these cost?

Thanks,

Andy

I never really noticed much of a difference with an ITG in my 172 if I'm honest.

Just give it a good run for a few weeks, maybe it was driven really slowly or something by the previous owner and needs a clear out.

Black S2 106 Rallye LHD
I owned two 106 GTis and the first was definitely quicker.

The second was owned by an older lady for six years and I suspect it had not been thrashed enough to open up.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
As above, I reckon it will improve with time.

My 1.4 felt quicker and more responsive (well as much as 1.4 can) after 6 months. But then I only drove it every other weekend for those 6 months and each time it got revved fully. Mine was in central london before I got it, so guess it wasn't ragged much.

I'd say see how it feels in a month or two.

Monaco RS Clio 172
mine feels alot better now that I have had it for 3 and half months, compared to when I first got it.

it was driven like a granny for most of it's life I believe.

just drive it hard to open it up a bit, stick an itg panel filter in there and some improved cold air feeds to help it breath, whip the acoustic valve off and lose the spare wheel/wheel changing kit, and if you're feeling brave, the rear seats belts and bar behind them ;)

she will feel a HUGE deal better then :)

320d
As above, I reckon it will improve with time.

My 1.4 felt quicker and more responsive (well as much as 1.4 can) after 6 months. But then I only drove it every other weekend for those 6 months and each time it got revved fully. Mine was in central london before I got it, so guess it wasn't ragged much.

I'd say see how it feels in a month or two.

I know what you mean mate. My car is better for getting revved properly (once warm or course). Since i got it last september it seems to be both more responsive and slightly quicker revving and also a bit more economical when its not being ragged.

I Don't think driving realy slowly not revving over 3K etc actually makes the car more reliable etc i'd say it makes it worse.