ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

03 Clio Dymonique won't start or turn over

Hey guys.
My Clio is having a serious problem at the minute. When I turn the ignition on and try to start the car nothing happens apart from clicking from the fuse box in the engine. The relay that is clicking is the 12v 24a one. There is only one of these in my car. When I turn the key the immobiliser light stays solid. I touched the started with the spade clamp instead of it sitting on it and it let sparks out of it but the engine still didn't start. This happened suddenly it wasn't something that has happened before. Have you guys any idea what on earth this could be?

I noticed that the relay that was clicking and making a buzzing noise was a tad corroded but nothing major. The other 3 smaller relays had corrosion and I gave then a clean. I even switched them to check if they would work. But the nose coming from the big one just doesn't sound normal

Clio 2.0 16v 182
If you're sure its confined to the relays try replacing them one by one and test firing each of them. my bet is one of them has been ruined by the weather or heat internally. When you get it running again check for excessive electrical heat in the box

Turns out those relays are a tad difficult to get s hold of in my town. So I'm going to wait and replace the battery first. Does anyone know what this relay does?

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Sounds like a combo of a flat battery and one of the relays. They are very easy to get hold of, they are fitted on the inside of clios as well under the uch if you want to get a second hand one which hasn't been exposed to the elements.

So I tried a different battery still no joy same clicking etc. Gonna get a new relay and hope for the best.

Tried a different relay. Still the same clicking noise and the battery and stop flashing. Also tried a push start but no joy aswell.

Got it sorted. It was the earthbound strap located on the passenger side below the battery. It looked like it was still connected but once I touched it, it fell off. Hope this post helps someone else. Thanks for your help guys!