ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 16v D4F possible head gasket?

Renault Clio 1.2
I've got a lot of gunk build up in the coolant expansion tank, grey colour,looks like a mix of Mayo and oil is this a bad sign? Also I've noticed some oil on my air filter, and as you look through the gap there's a small puddle of it sitting there? Any ideas guys? Will post pics if needed.

Cheers

Clio 2.0 16v 182
Pics would be great. Is the oil inside the air filter? You'll want to find exactly where it's coming from. Anything in the coolant expansion is bad. The only sure fire wAy of diagnosing a headgasket failure is a combustion test. Never done one myself but they are pretty much fail proof. If It is the headgasket you need to take the car to ALL**** your local garages and mechanics to get quotes. Most of them will quote around £600-700 but with luck you can get it down to £400. Just make sure of what you're getting for your money. Ideally you want a head gasket (of course), a machine skimming, water filter and an oil and coolant flush. Before going in for the work its best to take the cylinder head off and trailer it in. Mainly because you can check if it's damaged beyond repair (you'll know if it is).

Unsure on the mayo in the expansion tank although i think that is a sign of head gasket failure. I have the same engine and have a small amount of mayo on the oil cap in the wiinter months but i just put ths down to condensation in the engine as its cold, never have any issues so far touch wood. I also have oil in my air filter, just a small amount, i think its an oil leak somewhere as i need to top up every few months or so.

If it is head gasket though, i wouldnt personally get it repaired as these engines are so cheap nowadays you can pick up a low mileage in good condition for circa £200