ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 16v into 1.2 8v clio

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
hi guys asking this on behalf of a mate who has a MK2 PH1 1.2 8v clio and the bottom ends gone.

hes looking for something a bit different and probably lower millage, so hes thinking about a 1.2 16v.

i assume this is just a straight swap (mk2 ph2 engine into a mk2 ph1) with same mounts etc since this engine was used in some ph1 cars anyway? but what about the wiring, will he need a new loom etc? anything else he should know about the swap?

and what needs to be done on the insurance front of things?

cheers :)

Just stick a scond hand 8V lump in sell up and buy a 1.216V etc its less hatle.

A phase 2 has an electric throttle body and some different looms. You'd have to resuse the phase 1 throttle body.

A full phase 2 1.2 16V conversion would requre the whole looms UCH fitment etc and for the work a 172 conversion would take just as long. The phase 2 1.2 16V would fit though the problem would be the ECu and wiring looms unless you use the phase 1 looms (extended as necessary) and have the phase 1 ECU remapped since it won't be right for the phase 2 1.2 engine.

Insurance wise you'd need to tell them its a 16V not a 8V engine and inform the DVLA of the engine fabriocation number change.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
selling up isn't an option its Crazy Clios car (Pictures)

hes currently on holiday but next time hes on msn ill show him your reply, and ill let him decide what hes going to do, thanks a lot edde :)

I love the paint on the car.
172 conversion is is best value for money option £1.5k+vat for the parts say an extar £300 for a new cambelt and clutch then either fit it himselves/yourselves or get a garage to do it for between £500 and £1.5k depends if they like a project like that.

Bloody hell how did he get it to blow. I can't make my mums car blow up whatever I try not had an oil change for 25000 miles at least and has needed a cambelt for the last 4 years.

I looked into the conversion it costs a fortune for not much benifit. Just stick another 8v lump in for the time being should be able to get one cheapish.

Matt

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Hello All, First off thanks for posting this up Martin, and thanks for both the informative reply and compliment on the paint from you edde.

Basically, my bottom end has developed a knocking noise, caused by running dry without oil. No idea has to why there was no oil in there, as i had a full oil change bout a month ago, and i have never saw oil leakfrom my car. A mechanic has suggest that as the car is so low, i may have scraped and damaged the sump at one point (me and my girlfriend did hear a scraping noise a few minutes previously to the knocking noise) and it has drained my oil? There was no oil in, we refilled it hoping it would get the knocking to go away. I have only driven maybe 2 miles with the knocking, the oil has helped but there is still a knocking above 3,500rpm. My friends dad said you could re build the engine ive got, but its 7 years old and on 80k, so maybe cheaper to drop in a new unit.

Either way, I´m a t**t for letting the oil level get so low and its my fault.

I´ll look out for a 1.2 8v cheap to drop in then, my cars in the bodyshop right now getting repaired and im on holiday in Ibiza, so too skint to drop in a 2.0 16v, will do eventually however.

cheers.

Chocolate Bar™
i'd go for the 2.0, as its absolutely pointless paying for an engine conversion just to change it at a later date

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Middo said:
i'd go for the 2.0, as its absolutely pointless paying for an engine conversion just to change it at a later date

the engine would be the LAST thing i would do, TBH i only want it to say "its a 2.0" it will weigh a tonne, have 19" wheels and I wont want to drive it fast. I unlike most people on this forum would rather go slow and look good, than go so fast no one can see you. sad i know, but i appreciate what you are saying matey.

Chocolate Bar™
well at least go for a 1.4/1.6 instead, prob not much more than a 1.2 16v engine

None
I wouldn't bother sticking a 1.2 16v engine in, you wont get much of a gain and its hassle. Easier to just drop another 1.2 8v in or if you want a little more power drop in a 1.4 8v energy engine in

I wouldn't go for a 1.2 16v at all. They're always giving electrical faults. If i were in your boots i'd source a 1.4 8v and look to see if its possible to fit a 1.2 8v head for more compression and maybe a valver throttle body, again, if possible.

The 1.2 8v diet already in the car is an extremely reliable engine where not much goes wrong.

172 cup'd extreme
Fit the 1.4 8 valve you wont need to change as much then ie change to uch loom and the interior looms are the same (i have checked the wiring diagrams)

Lots of Alfas
Have you thought about the Renault 5 1.4 gt turbo engine. There was a mk2ph1 for sale not long ago that had the conversion. Maybe as much hassle as changing for a 1.2 16v, at least it would be a turbo.