ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 16v ticky?

172 rep
I've got a 1.2 16v 04 plate, seems really ticky, was just wondering if these engines are generally quite ticky or if there is summit wrong with it? It's recently had a head gasket (well 3 actually!! Around 2000 miles ago), could it be this gone again? not losing no water, and oil seems fine, jw if these were a bit ticky anyway?

Cheers, Julian

Renault Clio Campus Sport
its a 1.2 16v ive got mate and mines does tick a wee bit while idling but when you rev it it goes away? yeah i think its normal tbh not had any problems with mine!

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
try adjusting the tappets, as they are manual not hydraulic, they are tappy engines anyway.

3 head gaskets, wtf hav u been doing

Renault Clio Campus Sport
Check the tapits but it may be the big end has gone.

doubt the big ends gone, theres far too many clios that have done it and also ive ran my car 8k since hearin the tapping so i think i would have found out by now!

172 rep
Does seem to go away when it's revved a bit, as for the head gasket, it had one just before I bought it, then within a week it had gone again (nothing to do with my driving, just bad workmanship), it went back and had another, it did the same again, now they say they have used all genuine renault parts, and it's fine. Thank fcuk it was covered by warranty!! So the tickiness is quite normal, i had the tappets adjusted after the second head gasket, and the bloke i went to see over the stealers told me that they don't need doing on that engine atall?!

vers le haut doigt milieu
doubt the big ends gone, theres far too many clios that have done it and also ive ran my car 8k since hearin the tapping so i think i would have found out by now!

If when you rev and it goes away it "normally" isn't the big end, the big end "normally" makes more of a noticable sound underload. Ur problem may possibly just be the tappets but I wasn't talking about that before under my post.

p.s my two 1.2's sounded fine till I fucked the big end.

172 rep
that's what i mean, never really heard another one or been that close to listen to it lol, so had no idea if it was normal or not. It isn't a really noticable tick, just when its idling really, can hear it a little when it's revving, but it isn't as noticable. Think I might just get the tappets adjusted and see if that makes any difference.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
go to tesco carpark theres millions of them haha! honestly i wouldnt bother about it they all tick, it sounds pish yep but its just the crappy engines lol

172 rep
Lol, i'd look like a bit of a noob walking round tesco car park trynna "listen" to peoples cars lol.

Cheers mate!

Clio 1.2 Billabong
Mine's always sound a bit ticky when it's idling. It kind of reminds me of the sound from my Dad's old Talbot Alpine - that was French too!