ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 16v to a DCI 100?

Suzuki Ignis Sport
Hi guys,

Is it worth the upgrade from a 1.2 16v to a DCI 100? Insurance would be the same, it's cheaper to tax, better MPG but then the other bits and bobs are just the same price wise as 1.2s (I think!). I do love my 16v but just want something with a bit bigger engine. Is it a wise upgrade or just a waste of money? Should I keep the 1.2 for another year then go down the RS route? I am ultimately wanting an RS in the future, but just when it's not so ludicriously expensive insurance wise. If not DCI 100 for whatever reason, what about 80 or 65? Cheers lads.

320d
I'd take a dci over a 1.2 anyway. Martin172 will be in here at some point he loves them. Have a look on cliodci.net I believe Martin is involved in that too.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Stick with the 1.2, at least you've got a 16v :dapprove:

DCi's are nice, but I would only recommend choosing them instead of a 1.2 in the first place, rather than to replace one, because replacing your car just for a bit more grunt can put your long term plan (RS) on hold for that little bit longer.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I'd rather have a dci 65 than a 1.2!

DCI 100's are win. The gearboxes are a bit s**t, but they're wicked little cars. I had a brand new one as a company car back in 2005 and managed to out drag my dad in his Mazda 6 on the way back from Alton Towers! lol.

Last edited:
Stick with the 1.2, at least you've got a 16v :dapprove:

Lol!

I have been thinking this makes sense as a conversion tbh Luke, maybe a 1.9 dci from a Renault Kangoo/Nissan Kubistar

Would be plenty nippy and a lot better on fuel.. I'm sure the resident Chip would be along at some point to give advice on the logistics etc :)

Suzuki Ignis Sport
My 1.2 has had loads of money spent on it, pulls really well, well maintained etc. Just has a load of dents on it, creases and I just think it looks tatty. The paintwork is brilliant, it's just the dents! I'm really feeling a DCI 100. Are they quite nippy then? I'm not old enough for a RS yet, not experienced enough.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
epic cars, mine would give a 172 a good run for its money from 40-100!!

worlds apart from a 1.2 16v but definaltey a compromise between economy and performance, if you just want the performance then 172 all the way!

Suzuki Ignis Sport
epic cars, mine would give a 172 a good run for its money from 40-100!!

worlds apart from a 1.2 16v but definaltey a compromise between economy and performance, if you just want the performance then 172 all the way!

Is yours just standard mate? Definitely thinking about it. All my mates have gone diesel so might as well just the gang! The 16v does keep up with their turbo diesels though!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
mine was mapped and filter, decent rubber, suspension and brakes, was a riot!

if your 1.2 is keeping up with there diesels then they don't have very powerful diesels!

Suzuki Ignis Sport
Ah I see, I think im gonna save up for a dci. Whay prices we looking at for dynamique spec, <100k miles. Thanks everyone!

BG 182
how old are you though buddy, cause my insurance for a RS has dropped massively and im only 19 with 2 years nc. so maybe try doing some insurance quotes putting your age a year up and see how it comes out. cause if you want an RS ultimately it would a piss take a year down the line to find insurance is ok but you have no money. the situation im in atm haha

Suzuki Ignis Sport
When Im 19 i'll have only 1 years no claims, not 2. in september 2014 an RS would be affordable :)

BG 182
thrill see if you can get your family on admiral multi car, saved be a shed load. and paris thats just unfair hahah

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Seriously? ?
yeah sure would, 190lb/ft of torque against the 172s 145lb/ft had a good shove to it! 172s would just crawl past! but if you caught them in the wrong gear you would pull on them until they wound up lol

Did the dcis have leaky sunroofs? Dont want one with a leaky sunroof!
my electric one was fine, to be hhonest if you take the sunroof off, clean the seal and drain holes etc they will be fine

Suzuki Ignis Sport
yeah sure would, 190lb/ft of torque against the 172s 145lb/ft had a good shove to it! 172s would just crawl past! but if you caught them in the wrong gear you would pull on them until they wound up lol

my electric one was fine, to be hhonest if you take the sunroof off, clean the seal and drain holes etc they will be fine

Mine on my 16v is fine but someones sealed it round outside with silicone. It's nice and clean though and doesn't even rattle anymore!

thrill see if you can get your family on admiral multi car, saved be a shed load. and paris thats just unfair hahah

We only have 2 cars at our house, ones mine. Is it still eligible?

Suzuki Ignis Sport
The big question, DCI 65, 80 or 100? I would probably get it mapped anyway, wouldn't modify it though.

Clio DCI
The big question, DCI 65, 80 or 100? I would probably get it mapped anyway, wouldn't modify it though.

Personally I would say the 80 is the best. £20 per year road tax and 65mpg+ (i had 90mpg on a long run!)

Never driven a 100 so wouldn't know how much more powerful it felt.

On a side note, my current fiesta 1.6 TDCI which is 90hp feels a lot quicker than the dci80 clio although not quite as good on fuel.

Suzuki Ignis Sport
Would a dci 80 reach 100hp remapped? Not sure if its best to go for dci 100 and not map it or get a dci 80 and map it.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
dci 80 usually map to about 110hp, and 100's usually map to about 130
EDIT: around town the 80's feel quicker as the smaller turbo has less lag, infact theres hardly any lag, where 100's have more lag but a bigger punch high up the revs

Suzuki Ignis Sport
dci 80 usually map to about 110hp, and 100's usually map to about 130
EDIT: around town the 80's feel quicker as the smaller turbo has less lag, infact theres hardly any lag, where 100's have more lag but a bigger punch high up the revs

Not sure what to do now, I do a lot of around town driving but then I do a fair bit of motorway. DCI 80 to 110 sounds brilliant, wheres best to get mapped? RS Tuning? 'Superchips'?

The DCI 100 don't really suffer from any lag as they have a variable vane turbo so you get full torque through the rev range.

Suzuki Ignis Sport
The DCI 100 don't really suffer from any lag as they have a variable vane turbo so you get full torque through the rev range.

They're quite hard to find, but I wouldn't mind a DCI 100 in Black. Be just like my 1.2 but a bit sturdier, bit quicker and nicer to do long journeys in, plus cheaper. Why did I get a 1.2 in the first place! Especially if they can be mapped to 130bhp.

Clio Dci 106 dynamic
I had a 1.2 16v and now have a clio dci 106 and it can't be compared to the 1.2 and totally worth it a massive amount of gain in my opinion. I'm 19 and my insurance is exactly the same price for the diesel as it would be to a 197, I do a lot of miles and it's a excellent everyday car, although will be getting a rs or mx5 to accompany it pretty soon

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
unplugging the maf sensor doesn't remove the lag it just brings the turbo in harder when it comes in! - smokey! my dci 106 was rapid with the maf unplugged lol