ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2/172 Replica

Renault Clio 1.2
Welcome to my 55 plate 1.2 16v Clio Extreme in Black with the potential of being a 172 rep!!.... What a mouth full .

I know there are plenty of threads on here regarding 172 reps. Blah Blah Blah. This is mine. Something to call my own.

A little bit about the car. Well ... I bought it in May 2014 when I changed jobs. Up until then I had a company car. I worked for the French. French being Peugeot. Not much has changed Buying a Clio!!

It had 92000 miles on the clock with full service history. All belts changed. Nothing needs doing. Drives sweet as a nut.

Anyway...!!! I shall be posting "hopefully" on a regular basis with what I have done, any problems I have or asking if you lovely lot have anything of use to me.

Currently I am still in need of Front Bumper, Back bumper, wings and side skirts. If any of you lot have anything let me know. All I have ATM is wheels. But I'll come to them soon.

I figured I'll do the exterior first as my standard interior is immaculate. Since buying the car I've removed the stupid playboy stickers from the side and bought some 205/45/17 FOX alloys. They are currently being sprayed as we speak along with the door bullets.

Iceburg silver 172
i had those wheels on my first clio btw! mine were shagged though and i was to skint to refurb them

looks like a good start mate, will keep an eye on this. I have 17's on my rep, i do have to admit the ride is very harsh and i wish i now have smaller wheels, but its your car and if you like them then thats all that matters :)

Renault Clio 1.2
17inch wheels aren't a very good start for a 172 replica?

I know 17s aren't standard, but I got them cheap and they are costing me next to nothing. They came with 5-6mm tyres. Kooshti if you ask me.

You dont want 17 inches pal. I have got a replica and I've got the 16s.

i know 172's have 16s but it's not like I'm Going for performance I'm going for looks. It's a 1.2. Performance would be shocking lol.

Renault Clio 1.2
Odd how you have 2 different types of alloys, 2 on each side. If making a replica keep to OEM wheels imo.

I think the previous owner fudged about with it. But the two different alloys didn't bother me. Your quite vigilant. No one else has even noticed that lol.

Renault Clio 1.2
looks like a good start mate, will keep an eye on this. I have 17's on my rep, i do have to admit the ride is very harsh and i wish i now have smaller wheels, but its your car and if you like them then thats all that matters :)

17s just look good but tbh it's a tin can. It's gonna be harsh regardless. I just stalked your rep and it looks sick!!

Clio 1.2
I get people coming up to me at traffic lights in VXR's and 200s sitting their staring at me so I just poodle off the other way

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I get people coming up to me at traffic lights in VXR's and 200s sitting their staring at me so I just poodle off the other way

Sitting their what?

I had turinis on my old rep.

Get coilovers, decent brakes, decent tyres, 15/16" wheels and it'll go round corners like stink.

17s don't belong on mk2s

When I had my rep I had every civic type r in the north east try it on, no idea what they had against renaultsport Clio's lol

Personally I'd just save up the money that you're going to spend out on it, and then buy a proper 172 /182. I doubt the insurance would be much more, especially once you've declared it's a 172 rep etc.

Each to their own though.

Renault Clio 1.2
Personally I'd just save up the money that you're going to spend out on it, and then buy a proper 172 /182. I doubt the insurance would be much more, especially once you've declared it's a 172 rep etc.

Each to their own though.

The insurance isn't a problem. It's just something to pass the time. Plus it will easily be sold as and when to some yoot! :approve:

Renault Clio 1.2
So .... Today has been very progressive....

I picked my refurbed wheels up got tyres put on them and balanced.

i also went and picked up a full 172 body kit which I got for £100. Both bumpers wings and skirts (with fitting brackets). All safe and sound except the top grille. If anyone has one PM me please!!!
The body kit needs a complete respray as the kid who had it before me sprayed it black with a spray can, no primer no lacquer.

Many thanks to Luketowners12 for PM'ing me the EBAY link for the kit. Cheers dude.

Renault Clio 1.2
Today I dusted the tools off, removed the standard wings, arch liners and front bumper to line up the 172 wings and front bumper. I also marked up where to put the brackets for the side skirts. I thought they would be harder to fit but tbh it was quite easy. ATM the brackets are only held on with self tappers but I will eventually rivet them on. I also put one of my wheels on there to see how well they would fill the wings, and in all honesty they look pretty dope!. All I need to do now is take the BodyKit to be sprayed so I could then fit it and leave it on. This wont be for a couple of weeks because the sunny beeches of Lanzarote are calling me :rasp:. Until then the car will look standard.

View attachment 113561View attachment 113562View attachment 113563View attachment 113564View attachment 113565View attachment 113566

Today I dusted the tools off, removed the standard wings, arch liners and front bumper to line up the 172 wings and front bumper. I also marked up where to put the brackets for the side skirts. I thought they would be harder to fit but tbh it was quite easy. ATM the brackets are only held on with self tappers but I will eventually rivet them on. I also put one of my wheels on there to see how well they would fill the wings, and in all honesty they look pretty dope!. All I need to do now is take the BodyKit to be sprayed so I could then fit it and leave it on. This wont be for a couple of weeks because the sunny beeches of Lanzarote are calling me :rasp:. Until then the car will look standard.

View attachment 113561View attachment 113562View attachment 113563View attachment 113564View attachment 113565View attachment 113566

Just an FYI mate, the front offside wheel is on the wrong way round. The tread pattern is facing the wrong way. Switch it with another wheel!

Renault Clio 1.2
Just an FYI mate, the front offside wheel is on the wrong way round. The tread pattern is facing the wrong way. Switch it with another wheel!

Yeah I know this thanks pal. The big bold letters saying LEFT is a big giveaway. It was the first wheel that came out the shed. I was only trying it on to see what it looked like. But thanks bud!

Renault Clio 1.2
Okay guys. Just a quick update. Yesterday I stripped my body kit and bought some rubber grommets to fill the headlight washer holes. Tonight I've purchased a French flag sticker set to go on my RS grill from kieren17389. tomorrow morning I shall be taking the body kit for a little drive to the body shop so it can be prepped primered and painted. Then it's a a waiting gamp until I get this back. But till then I shall buy all the little tiny thing that make all the difference.

Still need to buy :-
  • Orange Calliper paint.
  • Carbon fibre wrap (for the fog light surrounds, rear bumper trim and possibly the Renault diamonds)
  • Yellow tint (for the fog lights)
  • Matt black wheel nut caps
  • black dice dust caps.

Im like a little kid with a new toy. I getting quite excited. Call me sad I know but let me have my moment lol ... :lolup:

Renault Clio 1.2
Right so this us the first post on a while. Today I started to restore my headlights. They are all smooth. Now I need to buy a cutting compound. Any advice what works well ? I also got my calliper paint delivered. I shall pain the callipers tomorrow but I though I'd share my bullets. The grey on the bullets is the colour of my wheels and the orange is the calliper paint. I'll give them another coat of orange then a nice heavy coat of lacquer and then they will be done.