ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 clio brakes advice

1.2 2003 clio
As you would have guessed I have a 1.2 clio mk2 (2003) and I am not happy with my brakes, I have recently had new pads but my front discs have a lot of ware on them, probably due to the fact there were basically no pads left when I bought the car.
They also seem to feel spongy and unresponsive.
I was thinking of just getting new uprated pads and slightly better front discs something like these below.
I would like to know if it would be worth the swap and would new brake lines and fluid make a difference?? Also baring in mind it is a 1.2 for road use not a track day 182.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RENAULT-C...=Model:Clio|Cars+Type:1.2&hash=item519fec5928

http://www.eurocarparts.com/mobile/...e467a9b847ac4ab49ae513814d0c47dffe1ebb&000712

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Probably a bit overkill really, I had Pagid discs & pads on the front of my 1.2, and then whatever brake shoes on the back drums that were in it when I bought it and felt the Clio could stop pretty well. Check the brake fluid levels, I'd get new standard discs and standard pads from G172 on here or from ECP. Either Pagid or Renault will do, I think G172 (George) sells Brembo discs for the 1.2 for not much more as well if you wanted a better brand. New fluid, discs, and pads should see an excellent improvement.

Clio RS 200 Gordini
No such thing as overkill brakes. Your safety and stopping power is essential. Yeah, it's always a good idea to get better brakes and it's a good mod to make.

Wait for one of the more experienced guys to tell you if they'll go on alright or not.

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
No such thing as overkill brakes. Your safety and stopping power is essential. Yeah, it's always a good idea to get better brakes and it's a good mod to make.

Wait for one of the more experienced guys to tell you if they'll go on alright or not.
Okay not overkill, but excessive spending!

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
You should nearly always replace they discs when replacing the pads. I would be replacing front discs and pads (unless they are not yet unevenly worn when you take them off) and bleeding the system. what could be happening at the moment is your only using 50% of the pad to brake and the sponginess your feeling could be air in the system.

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Oh yeah! Up to him how much he values his stopping power though.
I agree the better brakes the better, but for an average person standard will be best is what I meant, all racing brakes etc will be a tad overkill for daily use for most people ;)

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
I think G172 (George) sells Brembo discs for the 1.2 for not much more as well if you wanted a better brand. New fluid, discs, and pads should see an excellent improvement.
Yes I certainly do supply brakes for all the Clio range including the 1.2. I can supply you Brembo discs and Brembo oe pads (which are better then greenstuff pads imo having used both) and some decent fluid for less then those prices.

M90SR

ClioSport Club Member
@idkellet95 does your wheels lock up when you brake firmly from 50+ ish? I know that they would if you slammed your foot on the brake but when I press my brake my car begins to slow then locks up and skids. I have abs but have an intermittent fault somewhere so it could be because of the abs not working correctly.

1.2 2003 clio
No mine are like the opposite, I've tried a few times and they barely lock up, if they do its just before my foot goes through the firewall lol, they are just not responsive enough and feel rough when I brake hard.