ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 or 1.4 MK1 Clio

306 XLd

Hello

I am looking to buy my first car and i am thinking of getting a Clio Mk1 as they are the cheapest and i am on abit of a budget. I have got some online quotes on the 1.2 and 1.4 Clios from Directline and they are:

1991 RENAULT CLIO 1.4I (91-98) 3D RT = £1027.95

1991 RENAULT CLIO 1.2I (91-93) 3D RL = £911.40

Directline seem to be the cheapest for me with online quotes and these are both when i am 20 with a provisional licence.

I will be driving the car at least 120 miles each week on mainly A roads also do both engines have a 5th gear? The trim level doesnt both me more how they cope going up hills and MPG they will do.

Also does if i insure the car on my provisional when i pass my test can i just continue the insurance and just have to tell them i now have a fully licence or will i need new cover?.

Thanks for any opinions and sorry about the long post :)

Quote: Originally posted by Daz on 25 April 2004

The 1.2 might not have 5 gears.. early ones didnt.
mine doesnt, its a supa 4 speed!

id go for the 1.4, just that bit more power, and they usually go for about the same price anyway

If ur going for a 1.2, dont go for a RL as they only feature a 4 speed transmission. either RL on RN that is.

RT 1.4 have ur creature comforts

Most of the earlier 1.2 and 1.4 Mk1 cars will be in the £500-£1500 price bracket, even for a minter - so Id go with the best you can get, which would be a 1.4 RT. Both engines are of the "Energy" series (apart from the later cars), with 60bhp for the 1.2 and 75bhp for the 1.4. The 1.4 is enough to give decent pace, while the 1.2 is no ball of fire.

I had a Mk1 1.2 myself and it gave no hassle at all from 0 miles to 70k. An RT will probably have a few more little gremlins because it has electric windows and a sunroof, but Im sure this wont be any bother to someone buying a car at the budget end of second hand motoring!

I reckon you can get cheaper than that for insurance though - try Admiral and adding your mum/older female as a named driver.

only some rn and rl had 4 speed even n regs did. phase 3 is not faster just because its got mpi and rt phase 1 and 2 had 80bhp. ive got both and rt is 10X better

ok i havnt read the other comments properly but...

i drive 240miles round trip most weeks, the RT has no problems on the motorway or dual carriage way, cruise easily at 80mph with ur foot hardly on the pedal, and basically u dont need to be going any faster.

plus u get everything u need, elecy windows, sunroof, central locking etc. basically i would say IMO its the best car u can get for insurance group 5 and that cheap!

^^^^^agreed. My 1.4RT is my first car - im glad i went for the 1.4 over the 1.2!

Plus the FULL electrics (windows, sunroof, mirrors) and power steering are a bonus!

Ive got a Phase3 btw!

i had the same decision. I went for the 1.2 in the end because the one i got was the deal of the century! i did want a 1.4 but couldnt turn mine down for the price and condition! i dont use the moterway at all so it doesnt make much differenece to me. not long until it goes and is replaced by a valver anyway!:)

there u go f1fan111

1.4 it is ;) tho depending where u are they are gold dust, i had to wait a good month or two before i found a mint 1.4 with decent milage.

i be moving onto a valver soon myself me thinks, was surprised how cheap my quote was for one. (19, 0NCB, liecene held for year, with Pass plus)

Quote: Originally posted by kingJimBob on 25 April 2004

i be moving onto a valver soon myself me thinks, was surprised how cheap my quote was for one. (19, 0NCB, liecene held for year, with Pass plus)
Yea, I got a great quote for one from HIC.. Only insurance group 12!

Half what the Williams is.. heh.

Quote: Originally posted by timo on 25 April 2004

only some rn and rl had 4 speed even n regs did. phase 3 is not faster just because its got mpi and rt phase 1 and 2 had 80bhp. ive got both and rt is 10X better
1.4 with power steering in 80hp, no power steering is 75hp. Probably the higher power is just making up for the power steering drain?

Quote: Originally posted by kingJimBob on 25 April 2004

there u go f1fan111

1.4 it is ;) tho depending where u are they are gold dust, i had to wait a good month or two before i found a mint 1.4 with decent milage.
i must of been lucky then! i

had a look on autotrader on the monday, viewed it that night, on my drive by friday! BTW it had 42K on the clock and it was 6 yrs old (P reg)!

Ive got s 1.2, i didnt really have the choice of a 1.4, that car was a minter with 9k on the clock, n-reg about a year and a half ago, it was the special edition oasis, so it had the sunroof, 5 gears and 5 doors, its ok, having raced my mate who has a 1.4 rt there really sint much difference up to about 50.

It cruises down the motorway at 80, so far ive had 110 outa it, as a first car, obvously with nothing to compare it to it only seems to lack power after 50 mph, very quickl off the mark, great for round town.

I am beginning to wish i ahd the elctrics though, im getting central locking put in when i get my clifford, and im thinking about electric windows

My 1.2 aint got Electric windows.. just central locking as standard.

No PAS either.. which, to be honest, dont make much difference.. or at least, its so minimal it dont matter..

Quote: Originally posted by timo on 25 April 2004

not true. MPI is great to have and v noticable. and i would of thought a phase3 1.2 would be just as quick if not quicker than a mk1 1.4. the phase 3 1.4S is definately quicker than the mk1. not much between em.

my advice would be to get the mintest one you can which has had all necessary servicing done etc an make sure its an RT so the interior is half decent. infact the phase2 has a much nicer interior than the phase 1 so bear that in mind. 1.4 is preferable but not on the top of the list. dont just get any shed cos its .2 displacement more.