ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 TCE in MK2?

133, 182, Kangoo 182
From what I've read the 1.2 TCE is identical on the outside (obviously it has the addition of a turbo) so in theory this should drop straight into a MK2 engine bay right?

I *really* want a turbo but also really want to keep my car. I may scrap the whole idea and go for a sport as it's not going to be for months yet but it'd be nice to know now whether the swap is possible...

Thanks,
Matt.

E30 318iS x2
Calling it a turbo is quite optimistic when you see the size of it. You might as well wait tbh and save for a sport.

What engine do you have in it now? I can't imagine a TCE engine and loom will be very cheap (I maybe wrong), prob cost the same as the extra for a sport.

What are you looking at taking the engine from? They did do the TCE in a Mk2 not sure when though?

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
The 1.2 TCE sounds fun tbh. Ktec at FCS had the twingo 1.2 TCE, which had around 150 bhp.

I maybe wrong buts thats what they said to me. They did say it was a trial but the figure would still be close for the public. Not sure what work it had been carried out on it.

133, 182, Kangoo 182
Calling it a turbo is quite optimistic when you see the size of it. You might as well wait tbh and save for a sport.

What engine do you have in it now? I can't imagine a TCE engine and loom will be very cheap (I maybe wrong), prob cost the same as the extra for a sport.

What are you looking at taking the engine from? They did do the TCE in a Mk2 not sure when though?

Plans were to change the turbo so not a huge problem. I know I know save for a sport but thinking of all the pros and cons I may be better off with the 1.2. Like I said, I might change my mind anyway. :)

Currently it's a standard 1.2 (D4F) so the only difference is the actual turbo and the internals (I hope). Yeah the engine is cheap and think I could make back a bit of money from selling the old engine so cost wise there's nothing huge - I know a couple mechanics who are more than happy to help out for little money.

I wasn't aware they done a MK2 TCE? Was planning on sourcing one from a MK3.

The 1.2 TCE sounds fun tbh. Ktec at FCS had the twingo 1.2 TCE, which had around 150 bhp.

I maybe wrong buts thats what they said to me. They did say it was a trial but the figure would still be close for the public. Not sure what work it had been carried out on it.
It does sound fun lol. Wow nice gains considering I'm going from a 75bhp engine.. Obviously I'll do more to it to get the performance from it (the usuals inc remap, etc).

Edit - Never in a MK2 by looks of this?
D4FT

In an effort to produce a cost-effective fuel efficient engine Renault introduced a turbocharged version of the D4F, the D4FT, in 2007. Renault named it the 1.2 TCE (Turbo Control Efficiency). This engine features revised 16-valve heads and stronger internals to handle the higher stress caused by turbocharging, resulting in 101 PS (74 kW; 100 hp) at 5500 rpm and 145 N·m (107 lb·ft) at 3000 rpm.
Applications:

Last edited:
  E30 318iS x2
It's the standard 1.2 engine with a tiny turbo on and mapping to suit. The Torque is pleasant on it spec on motorways etc. You'd be best getting a manifold and exhaust made to suit a small turbo and building a bolt on turbo kit than swapping the whole engine, or at least just buying the bits,

Fact is, to get decent SAFE power you will have to throw money at it, at the end of the day, whats the point in throwing money at a 1.2? You'd be hard pushed to find uprated 1.2 internals and custom ones wont be cheap. I don't believe in making a standard 75hp hampster double its work load with no work done.

It is a problem with renault though, you can have '110' from a 1.6 or '180' from a 2L, there's naff all inbetween.

EDIT: oh right, I swear I saw one on auto trader once?

Last edited:
  133, 182, Kangoo 182
It's the standard 1.2 engine with a tiny turbo on and mapping to suit. The Torque is pleasant on it spec on motorways etc.

Fact is, to get decent SAFE power you will have to throw money at it, at the end of the day, whats the point in throwing money at a 1.2? You'd be hard pushed to find uprated 1.2 internals and custom ones wont be cheap. I don't believe in making a standard 75hp hampster double its work load with no work done.

It is a problem with renault though, you can have '110' from a 1.6 or '180' from a 2L, there's naff all inbetween.
Yeah understood, but I'm not expecting to do little and get a lot. There's no chance I'll double the power but as long as there's a little more than I have now I'm not really fussed. The first thing I'd replace would be the turbo and then get the breathing mods on, decat and full system and then a remap to suit. It's supposed to be 100 bhp standard so if I'm lucky I'll be looking at 110/120, but like I said... any improvement over what I have no will be sufficient.

I don't want a sport because I want to be different. I don't NEED a sport and I know if I had one I'd end up killing myself (although I have driven one so know what they're like).

E30 318iS x2
If you're planning on going the whole hog then I'd recommend you do some reaing on turbos etc. I can recommend you some good helpful books if you want. Drop me a PM.

I really like my TCE, I prefered it so much I bought the whole car lol!

133, 182, Kangoo 182
If you're planning on going the whole hog then I'd recommend you do some reaing on turbos etc. I can recommend you some good helpful books if you want. Drop me a PM.

I really like my TCE, I prefered it so much I bought the whole car lol!
Lol tempting but I like the MK2's more :) Will PM you in a sec

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
i wouldnt mind a 1.2 turbo engine in my Mk2 Ph1 :D

My mates got a 1.2 Twingo Turbo and thats running about 110Bhp and his insurance is only £100 more than what im paying. i could fit the engine myself but getting the mounts made up etc to be the same as the Mk3 may be difficult :S

If you decide to do it mate make a thread ;) so i can follow! :D

ValverInBits
It's the standard 1.2 engine with a tiny turbo on and mapping to suit. The Torque is pleasant on it spec on motorways etc. You'd be best getting a manifold and exhaust made to suit a small turbo and building a bolt on turbo kit than swapping the whole engine, or at least just buying the bits,

I disagree with that. The 1.2 N/A engine is not as strong as the TCE, and you said yourself that forged rods and pistons are not an off-the-shelf for the 1.2.
Definitely go for the whole conversion if a 1.2 turbo is what you want.

However, from what I've heard the management system is extremely limiting on the TCE.
The best bang-for-buck conversion still has to be the F4R, but it would be really interesting and differnet to see more done with the TCE. Small displacement turbo engines can make for really good all round cars! One of my mates has a Polo G40 with a K03 turbo (from a golf MK4 gti). It makes just over 200bhp from a 1.3 litre, and that's an 8valve.
Overall though, tuning a TCE to 170 bhp will cost LOADS more than bolting in an F4R

133, 182, Kangoo 182
The F4R is 2.0L right? I'm looking to stay pretty low due to insurance really..

Like you said yourself, it'd be interesting to see what the TCE engine can do and as you can tell from my yellow parts, I like to be different XD

I don't plan on getting anywhere near 170 BHP out of it so no worries about cost.

Basic plans at the moment are;
D4FT engine
Larger turbo (not sure yet)
Induction kit (already have)
Decatted exhaust (already have)
Remap

The above will cost me less than £500 (if old engine sells) and would hopefully kick out 120/130 BHP. Considering it's a 1.2 I think that's pretty good.

The way I see it is that money is an upgrade to the car and the gains would be almost twice what I currently have - Making it something like £7/BHP, right?

Mini Cooper S
Seems like a stupid idea. Remember you'll want to upgrade the brakes too. Being different isn't always practical! Just get a Sport!

133, 182, Kangoo 182
Seems like a stupid idea. Remember you'll want to upgrade the brakes too. Being different isn't always practical! Just get a Sport!

Will have grooved/drilled discs by then and if need be will get the big brake kit.
:/ Don't want a Sport.

The brakes on the 1.2's are rated for up to 150bhp. ;)

I asked this before but got shot down!

Was trying to find out if the engine in the Campus was the same but without the turbo..

If I could do it cheap I would!! Easily!!
I'm looking at upgrading cars in 4 years time to something much bigger than a cliosport, so I want to keep mine as a run around..

Let me know how you get on with it! :)

silver 172
this is what i wanna do but build it from scratch as i aint passed my test yet and wanna project car mk2 1.2 turbo with ktr remap and dump valve why im down there need a 172 shell first :(

low and smooth 1.poo
i am interested in this. wouldnt mind turbo'ing the 1.2 as well. i love the sound of a tuned up 1.2, as you really dont see very many. everyone seems to either stick 172/182 lumps in or gets sports. Its always nice to be different

low and smooth 1.poo
any update on this thread, i would like to see this happen, as i wouldnt mind giving it a go too.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
im possibly getting my hands on a 1.2 16v soon extremely cheap. and plan on doing this conversion just to see how far i can push it.

i beleive the TCE's use the newer style gearbox so ill probably run the bottom end from the current D4F with the JC1 thats on it and the TCE head, i may actually just use the TCE exhaust manifold/turbo and inlet on the current D4F and see how it goes lol!!

172/1.2/E30
what are you doing ecu-wise? is the tce ecu compatible with the mk2 uch? or standalone? plans are not that bad considering the f4r engines aren´t the lightest and make the clio a bit nose-heavy.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
ill decide when i start wripping it apart im not sure if the TCE runs the same ecu setup as the mk2 just mapped to suit or if it uses something completely different, ideal solution would be run it on the mk2 management with a map, but it may have to go standalone and that would then start to be the limiting factor as its not worth spending big cash for it unless i could then use it for future conversions, as i purely want to do it on a budget to see what results i can get, i recon a little light mk2 1.2 tce with 150hp would fly!!

172/1.2/E30
sounds good. afaik there is a mk3 tce in Germany pushing 140ish hp but i think he spent quite a bit of money to achieve this.

Mk5 Ibiza Cupra
I upgraded from a 1.2 16v to a 1.2 TCE and I have to say that there is a huge difference between them. It's only a 25bhp hike but it really is a fab little engine, very nippy, especially for a 1.2