ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 track car

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Fun on tight twisty go-kart tracks :) but i imagine you would still get powned by karts

Lotus Exige, 182
The racing fiestas don't use a big engine and are very fast. but I'd imagine it would cost a fortune to turn a 1.2 into a track weapon. If you can afford a skyline, why not just buy a 1*2.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
As Fred's video proves, id place money on a well driven 1.2 beating most of the 'track-prepped' 172s on here around a twisty track lol ...

Think about this way as well:

Less power + lower handling limits = maximum attack everywhere, learning how to drive on or over the limits of adhesion pretty much all the time.

Great fun imho.

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
you dont need a big engine to have fun on a track , tbh i think you will have more fun and benefit more from trying to drive a 1.2 more effectively than just powering down the corners then , on the anchors / understeer / over steer round the corners .
hasnt anyone seen the dci that did the nurbergring .

LY 200
mate if i smashed up my skyline id cry but the clio id still be upset but not as much
plus the bill would be 0000's cheeper

Pics of Skyline? I love the R34's i do!

If you can afford one of thoes why are you even contemplating a 1.2 for track days? Surely a 172 or 172 cup would be well within budget which will be just as nice for doing the daily run in?

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
If you want to then track it. How old is the 1.2? You could probably sell it and pick up a fairly cheap 80s/90s hothatch like a 205 Gti or Golf Gti etc

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
doesn't the dynocup have a 1*2 engine in it now?

It does yeas, but it was 1.2 when the video was shot. You can see how fast the 2.0 catches it up on the straights but disappears in the bends!

DCi 100
I'll be at Llandlow hopefully in March for a day out to take pics etc of the CS.net lot, pretty sure that track is still too big for a 1.2..

Myself, Bryton (iirc, something like that) shown in the video with Fred is pretty much the only track I'd take the 1.2 on. I'm nowhere near as capable as driver as Fred mind.

I'd never take a 1.2 on Oulton and the sort, it's just too big. Maybe you can go around the corners just as fast, but as soon as you get to opening the tap a 1.2 is about 8 times slower to pick up than a 2.0.

As soon as you've been around at an RS trackday you'll realise it's a whole different level of driving compared to the road. Never mind an open track day with Porsche's and the sort batting about.

Civic Em1, Civic Eg4
I would love to do a track day or even have the chance to go round one, watching people going round makes me want to do it as it looks like so much fun, just cant bring myself to do it in a 1.2 though as i would be so embarrassed and feel like im just getting in everyones way and p!ssing them off :(

rallyspec 1.4 & 1.8 16v
As Fred's video proves, id place money on a well driven 1.2 beating most of the 'track-prepped' 172s on here around a twisty track lol ...

Think about this way as well:

Less power + lower handling limits = maximum attack everywhere, learning how to drive on or over the limits of adhesion pretty much all the time.

Great fun imho.

well said!
iv got a 1.4 rally machine, my 16v cant get anywhere near its times when it gets twisty. and when it does get twisty the 1.4 is soo much more fun to drive, your not fighting it,your working with it perfectly to get the most from it and you stay out twice as long because of it.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
i tracked my 1.2 round comb a few day before i sold it, raped a few saxo vtrs, was real good fun.