ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 turbo or dci 86?

Polo Bluemotion
Hey guys,

Its getting to that time where its more cost efficent for me to buy a new car, as my car is almost 4 years old.

Im very impressed with how much better built the mk3 clio is over the mk2, so much so, im very tempted.

Either way, its going to be a dynamique s, but i cant decide on a 1.2 turbo or the dci 86.

Im ruling out the dci 106, as ive discovered with my mk2 dci100, the more power, the more you use it+the worse the mpg. Also, for whatever reason, the mk3 dci106 is in the £120 tax bracket, where as my dci 100 is only £35 for the year, as the mk3 dci86 is.

So specification, and looks wise, they will be identical, apart from the engine. the dci is about £200 more expensive. Does anyone have any experience of the 1.2 turbo??

also colour....im tempted by white, but my head keeps saying black/white/silver for resale values. opinions?

Any advice, much appreciated :)

oh+btw, apparantly renault uk do not have any brand new dci 86 dynamiques in the country, so i would be looking at a end of jan delivery :rolleyes:

Turbos.
Surprised they don't have loads stockpiled!

£200 isn't much, but what is the difference in tax, MPG and servicing (what are the intervals also)? I'd want to know how refined the diesel is too.

Audi A4 1.8T Sport
if you like the diesel stick with it...i would get a petrol...not in white

+1 for not white!

got to admit that M4rkie's 172 is a good colour, dark metallic blue (i'm sure he will reply with the actual colour name... ;) )

of course, he only got that colour caus its the same as mine... :approve:

E87 118d M Sport
monaco blue will. however the blue of my car is much nicer than the blue on your 4tonne tank.

i love white!!! get it done!

Shed.
I would go for the 1.2 turbo personally and pay for a remap, couldnt live with 4,500rpm rev limit and the sohc 8v engine (I know mines a sohc but its still got 16valves lol).

If you like diesel though why not, economical as heck like.

Polo Bluemotion
+1 for not white!

got to admit that M4rkie's 172 is a good colour, dark metallic blue (i'm sure he will reply with the actual colour name... ;) )

of course, he only got that colour caus its the same as mine... :approve:

I accept both are going to be slower than mine as it had 122bhp the last time it was on the rollers, but its not all about the power (as im sick of getting front tyres for mine). I believe the mk3 interior is a better place to be than my mk2, and "should" be better on fuel than mine. Ive arranged a test drive in an dci 86 tomorrow, so ill see how it goes. ill be keeping my tunit, so i could always stick that on it.

Colour wise, im not a fan of blues, greens, reds etc (he says with a nordic green clio :rolleyes:) The s with the wider front arches, 2.0 138 stlye wheels they now come with+rear tints does sound appealing though

i own a dci86 with regards to serving all new mk3 clios need a service every year

id test drive one you will notice a diffrence in handling an personaly i wait as the clios due a face lift which may improve the driving experience as its a bit dull an lifeless you will feel thbe extra weight imo

i get 55-57mpg

Last edited:
Its getting to that time where its more cost efficent for me to buy a new car, as my car is almost 4 years old.

Either way, its going to be a dynamique s, but i cant decide on a 1.2 turbo or the dci 86.

Im ruling out the dci 106, as ive discovered with my mk2 dci100, the more power, the more you use it+the worse the mpg. Also, for whatever reason, the mk3 dci106 is in the £120 tax bracket, where as my dci 100 is only £35 for the year, as the mk3 dci86 is.

also colour....im tempted by white, but my head keeps saying black/white/silver for resale values. opinions?
black or a nice bright colour for resale not white imo trhey never sell whel second hand historically. usualy only built as specials white cars.

106 is in the more expensive bracket its a shame just the way it is more power and more emmisions etc

do the maths a new cars often not cost effective look at depreciation

imo go diesel
I would go for the 1.2 turbo personally and pay for a remap, couldnt live with 4,500rpm rev limit and the sohc 8v engine (I know mines a sohc but its still got 16valves lol).

If you like diesel though why not, economical as heck like.
5k rev limiter and whats 16v got to do with anyhting just more to go wrong only reason people want 16v is for the badges realy

fabia vrs
stick with dci mate !! better performance then the petrol as it's quite a big heavy car !! I would test drive both but think the dci will hold it's money better aswel !! :D

320d
I test drove both back in july when i was thinking of changing. The diesel felt gutless to me tbh, just as slow as my 1.2 16v MK2 didn't make me want to drive it again tbh.

The TCE however was a lot better imo it had a bit of punch and just made me feel happier than the derv. However I would have liked a go in the dci 106 to see how that went.

Economy wise the dci got 11 more mpg than the TCE on my test drive and has a lower tax band.

Basically if your after economy get the dci but if your after a bit of a better driving expereince get the TCE. Either will feel slower than your MK2 dci 100 though.