ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.4 8v Lumpy and loss of performance

To start i have covered 10K this year with no problems to do with the engine except a dieing battery, which was replace and all good now.

My problem today on start up was that the engine was very voilent rocking and struggling to idle at the usual 750, but instead 500rpm. On pulling away and driving it was as if there was a resistance to rev. Wouldn't go over 3k revs and to get there it was struggling.

I havn't used the car for 2 days and the last journey was to the london meet covering roughly 100miles. On suggestions from friends i went for a drive as it could just be wet, this didn't improve it.

Went along to renault and the soonest they could look at the car properly was tuesday, i need the car tomorrow morning for my new job. Anyways, the chap came out and listened and said he thought it was misfiring and more than likely it was the coilpack that would need replacing.

Popped along to unipart and brought a coilpack. Took out all the plugs, which all looked the same condition, black. Replaced the coilpack plugged everything together and turned it on, the same.

Went around a mates house who's a bit handy with cars and while car running removed a lead, which had no effect on the engine. Ran no smoother or less lumpy and still rocking about.

Further information i have is that when on start up a pulley/tensioner used to squeeck but only for a minute or so.
Car is running at normal temperature no smoke from the exhaust.
Has just done over 68K and due cambelt soon.
Oil, plugs and filters changed about 8k ago.
When driving performance at 2K is normal which is strange but struggles to rev any further than 3K, very slow accelration.

I really don't want to take it to renault again as their qoute was roughly £250-£300 for a look and replace the coilpack, which isn't the problem.

This video may help, engine sounds worse when rev'd it was raining and i was getting very fed up:

http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j58/clio-ell/?action=view&current=Video004.flv

As im starting my new job tomorrow im now in bit of a problem and require travel everyday as before i could walk.

Any help would be very much appreicated, i know this site has some very knowledgable people. I have done a search but i've replaced the coilpack being the only real suggestion and solution.

Thanks.