ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1/4 miling is hard!

just did a couple of test runs in my williams powered 16v using an AP22, its set up for my car, first run i got 0-60 of 6.6 and 14.97 1/4 mile, then i got 0-60 of 6.25:eek:(got an amazing launch) but 1/4 mile of 15.02 WTF?:confused: on the 15.02 run i bounced it off the limiter in 3rd cos thats what i heard you should do for 1/4 miling? should i shift to 4th as i did in the first run?

come on Craggy and 2live, you should know this?!

bit disapointed with that to be honest, BUT on the AP22 you cant tell when a 1/4 mile is over so maybe i didnt bounce it off the limiter enough?

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

Dont sound bad to me that. You need to go up the strip really for a more accurate time though!

clean

when i went to santa pod i was equally confused with relationship betweesplit times/final speeds and quarter mile times.

sound like good times to me if its accurate and flat, my best was 15.06 in 3 runs at the pod. i had the same problem with 3rd gear but i would change into 4th about 50 yds from the line typically and be doing about 93 mph over the line.

cheers

chris

Renault Laguna Coupe

If you change into 4th at around 6250 in each gear youll get a better time. Trouble is you instinctively want to just keep on going but in reality the engine power drops off significantly after about 6krpm. Top speed for a 172 in 3rd is a tad over 88mph so you need to be in 4th to get a sub-15 second run.

well i shift at 6400 anyway, even though the willy is chipped and can do 6900, there is defo no power after 6400, so i need to shift to 4th for a sub 15sec run? my shifts are very quick so im not bothered about losing time in gear change. in my 0-60 i need to shift twice and still got that 6.25! the roads are very flat and the AP22 is set specifically for my car with me sat in it and a quarter tank of petrol. i have set it up properly

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Have u tried takin it up to 6900?

If u change at 6400 how can u bounce of the limiter? Im thinking the reason power peaks earlier is cause uve got ur original box on. 6.25 is silly quick u know?

Its best to change just before the limiter cos otherwise you wont be going any faster, 3rd gear can only do around 88-90mph so if you dont change to 4th you wont cross the line at say 93mph and get a higher quarter mile time as 3rd is not geared to do any more

AD

Quote: Originally posted by Mikey16vClio on 07 May 2003

Have u tried takin it up to 6900?

If u change at 6400 how can u bounce of the limiter? Im thinking the reason power peaks earlier is cause uve got ur original box on. 6.25 is silly quick u know?
i take it to 6400 but took it to 6900 in 3rd to get the 1/4 mile time, i shift at 6400 in all gears cos it seems to be faster. Not got my original gearbox, its a williams one

320d M Sport

your right mate, it aint easy!

when i ran my 14.9 @ york i could have sworn it was the slowest run of the day?! Its weird and i found it hard to tell if it was a quick run, or a really quick run!??!?!???

BMW 320d Sport

Best bet is to forget the AP22 and run at a drag strip with external timing gear. IMHO, and I know there are those who would argue the toss on this one, its a good tool for comparing rough times, but I wouldnt trust it to time 0-60 then say thats my 0-60. A 6.25 is one hell of a time off a Willy engined valver. In my experience thats just not possible. Id struggle to lay down low 6s consistently and Im running 240bhp in my valver. Not that Ive timed myself but I know what a 6 second run feels like...well results will come soon at Santa Pod in a couple of weekends time, why dont you come down and well see what your beast machine can do. One way or the other it sounds fast!

clio 20v

u need to be well into 4th really my terminal speeds at york were 92-94mph, indicated on speedo is getin on for 100mph so 4th is defo needed

the 6.25 seems very low it does come out with oddball readings evry now an agen my mates 106gti came out with a 6.8 once but he couldnt do it again

adi

hmm, ok say the 6.25 isnt realistic by the sound of things but i can get 6.6X consistently, and on the 6.25 run i really launched instead of dropping it at 2500rpm, i dropped at about 3500/4000. will do some more timing soon and will definilty be at the various 1/4 miling sessions. very curious to see how fast it really is!

i will be there mate, sent off for my membership yesterday, and hopefully Adi will tell me about the ones coming up!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Adams_16v on 07 May 2003

You need to go up the strip really for a more accurate time though!
Yeah, we played with a similar thing to an AP-22 before we went to York last time to get a rough idea...

We found that the times we got on the strip were always slower than we got on the performance meter.

mk2 172

lol, yeah my vts is totally different, im SURE the ap22 works on feel good factor as well as speed, for instance my williams felt faster than my vts does now when it was standard, but in reality it was marginally slower(than my modded vts, or my drivings improved) yet it comes out with massively slower ap22 times, i reckon its cos it dont have the torque etc

320d M Sport

experiment? leather it, make sure u dont bog down. WHATEVER U DO dont stall! Youll look a total TOOL!

320d M Sport

piull away?? is that your secret then?;)

muwahahahahahahaha (just cos everyone else is puttin it! :p)

BMW 320d Sport

Best technique is to get down your nearest industrial estate in the middle of the night and practice your starts until your clutch burns out. Well maybe stop before that happens...best laying down of power comes from the where youre just about to break into wheelspin. If you can pull away balancing the throttle so the tyres are only just squealing all the way through 1st, then youre in business.

Craggy was going on about the old feel good factor and it is a funny thing about 1/4 miling that sometimes the best results are from the runs that you thought you messed up, and the spot on launches end up in sh*t times. The only way to really learn the ropes is have a go - and I guarantee that on the day no-one gives a toss if you stall it, run a bad time, bog down, whatever - everyone starts somewhere! Once you get into it youll be hooked - like most of us on this thread!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Nick Read on 07 May 2003

and I guarantee that on the day no-one gives a toss if you stall it, run a bad time, bog down, whatever - everyone starts somewhere! Once you get into it youll be hooked - like most of us on this thread!
Yeah, it was my first go last time we went to York and on my 1st run I saw the lights go green, just went for it, wheelspun like mad, got going, was too busy looking at my mate in the left lane, f*cked up 3rd and just managed to cross the line in front of him... :oops:

Luckily I got better! ;)

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

To be honest the screaching of tyres at standing starts is the perfect launch, however every other car ive driven i could make it do that over 95% of the time but with my Valver i can sometimes bog down. :confused:

Actually thats probably jus changing my wheels so often & getting used to it & the different weather. I find that 4k is definnetly a good guide for original 15s with a Valver however u can pretty much 7k it with 17s a feather the clutch a little longer & u will absoultly fly of the line IM experiance.

I love it when u race some1 in an equally quick car (CRX, 106GTi or Uno Turbo) & after gettin a good start they aint catching you. :cool:

williams and trophy

hehe paddy mate i told u before..............if u c green lights uv lost lol

4th is an absolute must in the williams unless theres some real nice long gears have been secretely inserted in ur box...............oooooooooooooooer

its true tho that u feel like its a good run an its sh*t lol........an wen uv done an average run its the fastest run uv ever dun lol thats how it works