ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.4 problem

Clio 1.4 Fidji
i have a 92 ph1 1.4 carb, it seems to be getting the wrong mixture - too much fuel i think?, sometimes it hesitates and almost dies when you try to take off fast, and when you slow down, say go over a speed bump then drive off again it sort of stops then starts again. Its only started doing this in the last few days, was fine before. Im going to change plugs, filters and check leads and cap anyway in the morning and see if alls ok.

Only thing thats changed is the exhaust but its been on for about 3 weeks, straight through SS with just a back box, no K&N or silly ebay chips or anything like that on it! would the carb need set up again maybe, anything else that i should check while i have it in bits lol?

thanks
Dermy

Clio 1.4 Fidji
Well i found out that it was 2 things. 1 was i had leak in the exhaust clamp at the decat - brought to place that did the work and they fixed it. the other was more serious
carb1.jpg

the rubber gasket between the carb and manifold had split in half, you could lift off the carb without taking the bolts out!

Also found this,
carb2.jpg

its melted inside, any ideas what it does? it makes no diff to the car if its pluged in or not
it plugs in here
carb3.jpg

everything else seems to be fine the gasket is fixed tempory till i get a new one, only part number i could see on it was 7700 852 033 is there any way to check if its the right one?

ps. sry about the pic quality, ill put better ones up later.

what carb does it run? Weber 32 tldr?

19 has a better manifold, not a rubber bellow between the carb and manifiold but a solid fibre gasket.

Also it has a cat?

As for the plug dunno, never seen a clio like that before.

Clio 1.4 Fidji
Yea its a webber carb, not sure what one tho ill have a look, it never had a cat, just a silencer where the cat normally is, the hole was at that joint, it has no boxes at all now :)
carb4.jpg

the plug has 2 wires one is earthed to the carb and the other one connects into what looks like a white plastic circle, ask ren for the one off a 19 then?

(i put better pics up now)

ph1 172
for the wires to have got that hot i imagine its for the manifold heater, sits at the bottom of the carb and stops fuel from puddling when the engine is cold

maybe with the carb flapping about like that something shorted out

ph1 172
to be honest i dont think the manifold heater makes a whole lot of difference unless you get below freezing. the dodgy mixture will be the air not going throught the carb and different pressures that that would give

Clio 1.4 Fidji
thanks for the replies, its driving perfect now, always somthing daft isnt it, no more running high or stalling, goes A LOT better too + using less juice.
Cant find a 1.4 clio never mind a carb one :( they all seem to be 1.2's or 1.9d around here fs so looks like ill have to get one off my local renault stealer :(

p.s was just thinking, would i be able to put on a bigger carb as long as it bolts into the manifold the same way? maybe off a bigger engine ren 19 or 21 1.7 about the same year? just a thought

Last edited:
  Rover 620ti, MK1 Valver
Dermy said:
thanks for the replies, its driving perfect now, always somthing daft isnt it, no more running high or stalling, goes A LOT better too + using less juice.
Cant find a 1.4 clio never mind a carb one :( they all seem to be 1.2's or 1.9d around here fs so looks like ill have to get one off my local renault stealer :(

p.s was just thinking, would i be able to put on a bigger carb as long as it bolts into the manifold the same way? maybe off a bigger engine ren 19 or 21 1.7 about the same year? just a thought
Thats a twin choke webber off of a ford xr2, i used to have one on my old clio fidji.

I still have the k & n for it if you are interested (at a resonable price) in mint condition!! was on the car for like 2 weeks till i got owned by a woman driver.. the standard airboc is a bit restrictive for that carb i found.. the k & n filter with the enlarged main jet that comes with it makes a hell of a differance.. jus fit that and get the carb tuned and you are laughing

Just give me a pm if you are interested in the k and n or want a bit more info on the carb setup

Yet that will be for the inlet man heater, its only activated when you crank the engine though.

I have never seen a carbed clio either.

However be thankfull you have the most powerful 1.4 energy engine as standard.

Its NOT the same as an XR2 carb, the xr2 runs the weber 28/32 TLDM, the bolt spacing is however the same.

The xr carb has smaller primary choke tube.

ajketley, why contribute when you don't know what your talking about?

I miss the old carbed energy, I used to rev mine to over 8 grand, used to rev off the clock on the 16V gauges. I done the head and sorted the carb out as well. I had one without the chock which was a b*****d to start but pulled very strongly.

Clio 1.4 Fidji
Chris_H said:
I used to rev mine to over 8 grand, used to rev off the clock on the 16V gauges. I done the head and sorted the carb out as well. I had one without the chock which was a b*****d to start but pulled very strongly.

lol ive done that too first day i got it (never realised it was a carb) and was giving it some in second and went hold on wheres the limiter ended up 70+ in second off the revs havent done it since tho dont fancy blowing it up lol

what kind of work did you do to the head and carb?

thanks for reply :)

Clio 1.4 Fidji
Got a price for a new one off my renault stealer, £52.72 inc vat! for a chunk of rubber lol. looks like its going to be a scrapyard jobby and if i cant find a clio a ren 19, if anyone happens to have one lying about (i doubt it but worth a try lol) send me a pm

thanks

Clio 1.4 Fidji
I tried one off a 19 its not exactly the same, ended up i just got it off the dealer for £43 instead of £52 made a massive difference to the car :) one last question, will i be able to put on this k&n kit? part number 56-9042? its for an xr2 but bolt spacing etc is supposed to be the same, its a twin choke webber, only numbers i could see on it were two circles with 23 and 24 in them, anyone know about this?
thanks for the replies :)