ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.4 RT (energy?)

"Nissan" Sunny 1.6 16v
Errm yes... well the throttle body is weird as! All the other cars I've had (astra and ibiza) I could put a Universal Air filter on with not much problem but... with my Clio (k reg) there's no way I can. Can anyone point me in the right direction to get a proper air intake system?

Looking for a ph-quick...
Hi mate,
i asked myself the same question when i had my 1.4. after i did some digging i found out that the best way was to use the intake system from a laguna.
ditch the standard airbox fit this and u will be laffing!!

You loose the air filter housing from the laguna setup and what i did was extend the part that fits onto the throttle body. also you can use the larger throttle body off the 1.8spi laguna for a little more power.
as you can see in the pic the black part is from the laguna, then i extended it using some aluminium pipe and then a cone filter on the end of that amd fixed it between the radiator and headlight were that gap is so u get planty of air to it. u dnt need the lagune throttle body, as the intake system off the laguna bolts onto the original throttle body you hav on the engine now, thats just if u want a little more power.
gimme a shout if want any help! :D

Attachments

• relocation1.jpg
    relocation1.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 106
  • relocation2.jpg
    relocation2.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 63
  "Nissan" Sunny 1.6 16v
Don't suppose you have a spare one do you? My local scrapyardS haven't got any lagunas in them :|

Fiesta ST
^That looks quite good. Nice job. :) Is that just a universal cone on the end to match the diameter of the piping?

Where did you get the aluminium ducting from if you don't mind me asking, just any general place? (i.e. halfords or even b&q or something) Is it held with jubilee clips?

You given me ideas now. haha.

Cheers.

6/468 17poo
i just bought this piece of kit off amir and it does work wonders, temp gets a bit high in traffic but gives the throttle a nice noise and a bit more responsive!!think halfrauds sell the ducting and the filter on the end pictured is a simota racxing one (dual cone) very good!

Well easy to fit too!
Ryan

Fiesta ST
Thanks Ryan. :) I'd be interested in doing this and comparing it to my current setup (ITG Panel filter + cold air feed). I used to have a k&n IK just direct above the engine and I did not like it one bit. Sounded good, but temps really affected it. This would be a good little weekend project... if it stops snowing that is! :D

Awrite Fellas!
Ducting i got from no other than Halfrauds, the cone filter i bought from donny show last year from a Jap racing stand but never used it until i managed to source the bit off the laguna.
Then it was putting it together, mounting it and a bit of nip and tuck of the plastic next to the rad.
Glad you like the kit Ryan!
if uve got any questions let me know!

Amir

Fiesta ST
Amir,

Cheers for that. One last question, what is the neck diameter I need to look for with regards to the cone? Do you know off the top of your head?

Thanks!

errr no i cant remember mate, if its just the diameter of the cone filter your after, then if theres a halfrauds neer you get yourself down there and take a look at the ripspeed air ducting, that fit more or less straight round it. alternatively, ask Ryan who bought the kit off me to get his tape measure out and measure round the OUTER of the fitting color!

hope this helps!
Amir

I've done this:

Basically acts as a relocation induction kit. I used a JR cone filter. Make sure you blank off the other breather holes that usually go into the inlet manifold on the laguna engine.

Attachments

• 15032006263.jpg
    15032006263.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 39
  6/468 17poo
^^^^^^surely that still got loads of hot air going straight to it???ive put mine right at the front of the bay but its a proper tight fit!!
have you got cold air feeds to that aswell???

beatjunkie said:
^^^^^^surely that still got loads of hot air going straight to it???ive put mine right at the front of the bay but its a proper tight fit!!
have you got cold air feeds to that aswell???

Yep OE cold air feeds to it. But it sits between the dizzy and the battery which is no where near as hot as around the tb itself.

If it gets too hot i'll extend the ducting. Also thinking about making a Heatshield.

6/468 17poo
yeah suppose so mate, whats it like when sitting in traffic?does the temp raise alot after 6-7 mins??
i might move mine and try find a better location or move it to ur position and feed air from the inner wing as 'apparantly' this is a good place for dense air??

someone told me at work once, Ryan

Dunno yet mate it's getting fitted this weekend :) Ordered new bolts from ren. Looks like Amir was missing one too! not good for an airtight seal on the tb.

I will tinker with it during the easter break when i start on my power and suspension upgrades. I almost have all the components now.

Did you get the laguna tb too?

6/468 17poo
nah not the laguna tb, cant be arsed with that mate too muuch effort!!lol

yeah i got another bolt from b&q as renault near me is cr@p they havent got a clue couldnt even get me a battery adapter terminal for renault wiring for the next day so i went to citeron probly cheaper aswell, how much for new bolts?

93 RT 1.4 Clio & Dolomite
Hey chaps.

I've also got a 1.4 energy, so reading this has given me a few ideas of getting a little more out of my engine. I'm certainly going to have a look at using the air intake system from a Laguna, to attempt to achieve what Amir did.

How complex is changing the throttle body to the 1.8spi Laguna from my current one? I'm pretty much learning as I go along, taking bits aparts etc. So my appologies for the basic questions.

Many thanks,
Jimmie

It's a straight swap but the manifold throat needs boring out to match the tb.

Apart from that its easy. Well, even that is easy tbh.

Fiesta ST
Would a dremel do the job for matching the inlet up? Did the clips come with the JR cone mate? I don't know what make to go for though. Torn between an ITG\Pipercross (foam) IK or the likes of Green/JR (cotton gauze)???

Thanks for letting me know the size on RSC btw. :)

Yeah a dremel is fine with the right attachements. It takes a while with a dremel tho because there is a fair bit of material to shift and given the size of the tool it takes patience ;)

No problem about the advice, i've just fitted mine and made a heatshield for it but the clutch blew on sat so i've been fixing that ever since :(