ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.4 RT Engines

Im looking to buy a friends 1.4 RT. K reg.

The car is pretty much in mint condition ( apart from, theres a gap between the lights and the boot on the right hand side...any ideas? ) but the engine sounds as if its not upto much. Sounded rough when I gave it some revs.

Not knowing much about engines, am I best going for an engine transplant, and what cost would I be looking at for the engine and the labour of it all?

If thats not a viable option, what steps should I take, or what should I ask a garage to do to get the engine purring again.

I know Ive been abit vague with it all, but not clued up on engines and it was only a quick look over the car - apologies.

The lights have probably just not been put on correct - the entire unit needs unscrewed and removed when changing the bulbs.

As for the engine, what milage is it on? RT engines are fairly strong but like anything, neglected or high milage examples can be dodgy. Best to take someone that knows with you and do the usual car checks but failing that it is a friends car - you must have a good idea how they treat the thing!

Engine transplants are fairly cheap to do - a couple hundred to remove and fit a new unit. A replacement 1.4 identical to whats in it will be peanuts (150quid or so).

Well, sounds like itd be easier to just take your money and the money for an engine swap and buy a decent 1.4 to start with. Mate got quoted 800 for a lower milage 1.4 to be dropped into his.