ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.6 16v pro’s and cons

None

talking about the 16v sport model. Im intrested in this car as finding it well cheap to insure and the powers about right for me and there are mods out there for it. Please can someone post the pros and cons of having this car

LY 200

GET IN TOUCH WITH BADBOY_MC

HES HAD HIS FOR THE PAST 2.5 YEARS AND IS ON THE VERGE OF SELLING!!!

VERY UNDERATED CARS IMO!!!

Clart

ClioSport Club Member

My missus has had her 04 plate 1.6 16v for just over a year now. I love it. Air con, nice seats, quick too!

05 Plate MG ZR 105 Trophy

Yeah I have got a 54 plate 1.6 16v and its not bad for a first car;). They are nice cars, not overly fast, but very nippy in town traffic...

Lots of Alfas

the 1.4 16v and 1.6 16v engines are very similar. I think the 1.6 16V has rear disk brakes.

^^ exactly as he said, hardly any difference performance wise, but only group 5 insurance for a 1.4, compared to a 1.6 the saving is massive!

Thats why I got a 1.4 over a 1.6

Clio 182

I have a 1.6 16v and i find its ok but at times fuel consumption can be a bit low if your heavey footed :s but overal its a lovely car and handles pretty well.

Polo + Micra

Quote: Originally posted by davebem on 20 May 2005the 1.4 16v and 1.6 16v engines are very similar. I think the 1.6 16V has rear disk brakes.

some do some dont

they were added i think in 2004 and also to models with traction control

[Edited by Dink on 5/20/2005 11:46:59 AM]

Black Clio 172

the 1.6 isnt worth the extra insurance and cost - mpg is lower for a little gain in power. why oh why didnt renault do a 140-150 bhp 1.8 16v ??????? in this mark!!!

Mazda MX5 1.8

oh the usual 1.6 vs 1.4 chatter

with regards to fuel consumption mine is very good (50 can be achived without too much bother) but as said above it does depend A LOT on how its driven

only thing i find that i dont like with mine (apart from rattles that come with having a clio) is there is no real feeling to the steering becuase of renault using their crappy power steering that adjusts the sensitivity or something! what a load of sh1t

None

thanks for advice. Main thing im after is power and im finding qoutes for a 1.6 that doesnt have alot of difference to the car I have at the mo (for some odd reason). My ideal car would be a 172 but unsure if I would be able to affrod to run it etc

Clio 1.6 16v 2003

i test drove the 1.4 several times beofore getting a 1.6, tyhe 1.6 felt better going from 40 - 80 .

my black 52 plate 1.6 16v is for sale if your interested, only done 19k

pm me

None

errr no - sorry not keen on diesels. I know they have their benifits tho. Im looking to get a new car around August time and wanna spend as least as possible so I got money for mods ;)

get the 1.4 16v, 1.6 only has 12 more bhp and the 1.4 is prity nippy, ;)

u can get over 100 and some more easy with 5 people in the car!

I was in the same situation as you. I was thinking about getting a 1.6 16v as I thought a 172 would be expensive to run. I still went for 172 for some reason but I can honestly say it was the best move.

They arent that expensive to run, ok I pay a little extra on insurance than my old 1.4 corsa but only an extra £250 its well worth it ;)

Fuel consumption I get an average of 32-34 mpg which is very good, its about the same as my corsa :eek:

The 172 cost more to buy but if you can afford to buy it I would go for one of them

Abarth 500

My dad had a newish 1.6 16v (54 plate I think) and the fuel economy was worse than my Cup whenever we engaged in any form of spirited driving!

(ps: overall he rated the car fairly low- neither really sporty or really comfortable so couldnt quite work out the point of it!)

Meg on pistonheads £6995

nice 172 or dCi 80 with air for 5-6K

forget the rest!

only 450 for superchips gives 172lb/ft

172 cup'd extreme

a cup or 172 wont cost much more ,and the 1.4 isnt much slower and you dont need discs on the back

Mazda MX5 1.8

Ok so pros and cons imo:

Pros - corners quite well (std but esp now with coilovers), reasonably quick (looks like a 1.2 just with a slightly bigger engine), nice enough seats, aircon (not on all afaik), reasonable fuel consumption (atho everyone else seems to get rubbish mpg) and cheaper to buy/insure than 172/182 (i picked up a brand new 1.6 16v for £8856.53)

cons - gearbox needs a 6th gear (no suprise), comfort could be better, steering as mentioned above, driving position (as with all clio mk2s afaik)

Veilsided MR2 Rev3 Turbo

Got no complaints with my 1.6. had it for 5 months now. Is plenty quick enough. Unfortunatly on here it always gets marked as slow due to the 182/172 snobbery ;). But i certainly have no complaints. Powerful enough for the motorway, pulls past traffic easily and quick enough to scare you every now and again if you get it wrong. lol. Handles fine, but as with every standard car it would benefit from a bit of a drop to stop body role when going around roundabouts at a fair speed. Think it was dink on here that put a sports de-cat and cat back system on his and got 130mph out of it. so sure it would benefit from a few breathing mods. However is a bit hard to find mods for it, as appears to be for the 1.4 as well, as most mods about are for the 1.2 and the 172/182. But id definatly get one again if i had the chance.

clio chris im selling my 1.4 16v dynamique if your interested, 52plate, registered 14th jan 2003, 26k, full service history, black, pretty much all the options, xenons, air con, climate control, heat and sound reflecting windcreen, auto lights, auto wipers etc etc

17inch OZ titan wheels
K-TEC front bumper lip and sideskirts
K+N induction kit
Sebring backbox
Eibach -35mm lowering springs
Fully colour coded
Toad Cat1 alarm and prox
looking for offers around £6,500, mint example PM me for pics

david.o2@ntlworld.com

Clio 1.4, SV650S

dont bothwer with a 1.4 i own one and its w**k

1.6 all the way.... i convinced a 1.4 16v would piss on my 1.4 8v by a fair amount and having driven my mates 1.6 16v focus i think that a 1.6 is the way forward. if you want cheap performance. in a clio as well which must weigh less than a focus.

though focus will handle better than a bog standard renault shopping trolly a 1.6 engine will be good. not a near a 172 but i gueess your only asking because youre not in tyhe market for a 172 and no matter what people say on messageboards not everone can afford to run a 2.0 car.

Clio 1.4, SV650S

oh and as for handling of a 1.6 model... come on its going to be sh*t compared to a 172/182 beacuse its not a renaultsport model... its just a day to day run about so dont expect too much!

None

Cars mainly used for going to work in so not gonna cane it that much. If a 1.6 16v can be modded to over 130bhp then ill be happy :)

Itd be interesting to know how many of the 1.6 knockers above actually own one????

Ive had mine for just over a year and id highly recommend it. Mines a 99 1.6 and my dad has a 2003 1.4. We both agree that there is a noticeable power difference, especially when you get to 40+.

Also, most of the earlier 1.6s, not sure about the newer models - have a better handling setup than the 1.4s.

You get people saying its not worth the extra insurance for another 10+BHP. Yet i bet most of them have spent hundreds on an exhaust and filter to try and squeeze a few more BHP out of their current car.

Mine has air con, PAS, fully adjustable seats, 6 cd changer, leccy sunroof, leccy mirrors, leccy windows etc.

And finally, the earlier models stand out from the other clios. Heres a pic of mine - totally standard (exc. side repeaters).

http://www.wellbored.com/car/new/clean/clean1.jpgClicky

Polo + Micra

Quote: Originally posted by mcoppen on 20 May 2005
Got no complaints with my 1.6. had it for 5 months now. Is plenty quick enough. Unfortunatly on here it always gets marked as slow due to the 182/172 snobbery ;). But i certainly have no complaints. Powerful enough for the motorway, pulls past traffic easily and quick enough to scare you every now and again if you get it wrong. lol. Handles fine, but as with every standard car it would benefit from a bit of a drop to stop body role when going around roundabouts at a fair speed. Think it was dink on here that put a sports de-cat and cat back system on his and got 130mph out of it. so sure it would benefit from a few breathing mods. However is a bit hard to find mods for it, as appears to be for the 1.4 as well, as most mods about are for the 1.2 and the 172/182. But id definatly get one again if i had the chance.

LOL that was before the sports cat and cat back:D

(pic can be found in a previous post)

the 1.6 16v mk2 ph1 runs 110 as standard so if its had a decat (please excuse LAD figures) your gonna be talking around 115bhp

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed

Something else to consider is the tax, dont forget that the tax bracket is higher for a 1.6 over a 1.4...for the sake of the small increase in bhp with .2 of a litre increase, is it worth it in terms of insurance, tax, etc.,

Just my ten penneth! :)