ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.8 RT to a valver?

'92 172, Lotus Elise
You may have read about my 1.8 RT being grotted by a hit and run moped

Im currently trying to put it through the other guys insurance but am worried it could be difficult to get them to pay out to fix my £300 car, so i was toying with the idea of upgrading to a valver!

However, aside from actually buying one, im finding it difficult to get insured on one! :( my current insurer wont touch one until I am 21!

im 20 at the moment, with 1yr ncb coming up next month, should it be feasible to get a quote? anyone else in the same situation. im in a BN23 postcode, which is quite good

Also, might be an obvious question, but is it worth it?

would it be that much quicker than my 8v?

Hi mate,

I think the thing you will notice the most is the willingness of the valver to rev higher and give more power at higher revs. The RT seems to choke a little at higher revs whereas the valver never loses power right up to the limiter IMHO.

With regards to insurance, try Admiral.com. complete the forms and get your quote. Then keep clicking back until you get the option to put additional drivers on. Put your mum/dad/uncle/auntie anyone who is old and hasnt had a crash recently on it and you should see a reductionin premium. Its not a scam you are still main policy holder but the other people are named drivers on your policy (just incase they need to drive your car ;))
see if thats cheap enough.

They insured me on my valver for £795 at 21 with 0 ncb. I was chuffed!

Shorty

'92 172, Lotus Elise
wow, thats less than im paying for my RT now!

also, am I right in assuming the specification is the same/better?

leccy windows/mirrors, steering wheel control for the radio, RCL etc...

Mines got leccy windows leccy sunroof pop out rear windows. sterring control on stereo, leccy mirrors with the temp sensor, nicer seats than the RT, and most importantly W I D E R Arches.

Mines in the for sale section, its the naples one for 1700. Gimme a shout if you are interested. I'll take you out in it and show you the difference :D

'92 172, Lotus Elise
sound good! :D

best i can get admiral to do is 1150 :( - very small family...

So i need 3 grand and ill give you a call. I do like the naples ones :)

'92 172, Lotus Elise
nope :)

from 91-93 they made a SPI F3P engine (95bhp) and stuck it in a 5dr, calling it the RT :D

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Try confused.com and moneysupermarket.com

They always come up tops for me. Phone the cheapest insurer directly and it gets cheaper still. The only blite being filling all the lenthy forms out on the net! :)

'92 172, Lotus Elise
Bell want £975 from moneysupermarket...

i'll give them a call tomorrow, see how much it drops by :)

'92 172, Lotus Elise
ok ok ;)

what are the running costs like on them?

how reliable are they? i don't mind getting my hands dirty... but i dont want a car that just wont start one day because the sun came up at the wrong angle

well it depends on the source of the engien and how its looked after previously.

Reliability wise they are fine if its a good one. My baby (ph1 19 16V chammy) returns 50mpg if I sit at 60, hits the limiter in 5th and is silent when starting even after sitting for a month. In 3 years and about 14k its only done 500 miles in the last year though all thats gone on it is the alternator.

Others knock and bang and do 20mpg and require tow starting etc.

if you get a good one then its a relibale engine.

Main issue is cooling. The waterways are always clogged up, even if the coolants clear. early drain plug blocks are great as you can just open the drain plug nd get busy clearing it out, newer lumps did away with the drain plug and to clear it out you have to pop a core plug.

I am the only person i know that does this on every engine I sell or have out for repair.

if its got clean oil, good fuel delivery and cooling then it will take a lot of miles with ease.

Dearest running expense is insurance tbh.

But beware about 80% are in poor condition due to neglect, but all are salvagable with a bit of maintenance.

'92 172, Lotus Elise
thanks for the advice Chris_H :)

i'm not afraid to get my hands dirty, and if things need fixing/replacing im more than willing to do them :)

Pat, looks a minter, but might be over budget ;)

its not to hard, I just plonked this into my mums runaround

red%2016V%20engine%20fitted%2001.jpg

before

red%20carb%20removal%2001.jpg

'92 172, Lotus Elise
very nice... :)

well im still waiting for insurance to either repair my car or confirm it as a write off. im fairly sure it'll be written off. sad way for it to go, but if i can get a better car then i will. Will probably buy back the salvage and repair it myself :)

Things should move fairly quick. ive just given my insurance co a boot up the arse as my MOT runs out in 2/3 weeks and so does my insurance. i have no where to keep the car off the road if they expire (any offers? ;)).

So watch this space :)

Clio 172
I used to own a clio 16v and when 17 I was 2197.60 tpft ( with mods) and that was with elephant.

When I completed my first years driving (1 years ncb) I switched to bell insurance which was 977.50 fully comp at 18 years old and if I had gone tpft it would have been 677 a year.

I guess it will be even cheaper for you.

'92 172, Lotus Elise
bell want 975 out of me

that with my mum as a named driver (assuming yours was your own policy too)

it will probably be closer to 1100 by the time my current insurance sorts itself out (got 2 non fault accidents in 1 week :()

this is in a fairly good postcode (AL7 1QF) and kept on the street - my downfall?

but then ive also tried it with my future house which is a BN23 postcode and kept in a garage and it still wont be below £900. the BN23 postcode is apparently v. good :/

I'm 20 w/ 1yr ncb (coming up in a few weeks, touch wood) but i've only been driving a year. This must be my downfall :(