ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

10,000 miles in my 197

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
Just hit 10,000 miles in my poverty spec 197.

I was coming back from Thetford forest a few days ago with my bike in the boot and was really impressed with how it is pulling. Seems to have definetely got a lot stronger since i first had it. The first 800 miles it was a bit shy and felt tight but now it seems to pull very well indeed. I am sure it has improved with the miles.

Haven't had any problems since my couple of early punctures in her. Seems to be relatively squeak free as i can't think of anything thta has bugged me. The interior door handles being so far forward is annoying on a windy day though!

Everything still works and she is doing a good 40 miles a day commute. I reckon she will be ready for her yearly/12k service at about the time i bought her so will have to start thinknig about booking that up and doing roadtax soonish.

Due to a new job where i will be working only about a mile from my home I may well sell her next November. I wouldn't want to sell any sooner due to depreciation is worst in the first two years.

But then it comes down to what to get next. I reckon i will only be doing approx 4000 miles a year when i start my new job (i will start anypoint in the next 3 months to 12 months time) so i doubt it would do the 197 any good doing a mile then just turning her off. Quite tempted to a fiat panda/C1/107 or something since i won't be doing any miles at all... but that i will save for another thread nearer the time.

But in my heart i actually want to keep her!! Would it be detrimental to my 197 if she was only driven once a week? I will be riding my mtb to work daily apart from when it is pissing it down or snowing.

No doubt the usual 197 haters will pop up but for all you 197 lovers out there: it only gets better :D

Hope you are all enjoying whatever Renault Sport you drive :)

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
to be hoenst, nah notihng i can really put my finger on. It idd have a really annoying weird noise only at certian speeds but thta seems to have gone now. haven't heard it for ages. I appeared to be the only one who could hear it as my mates thought i was mad.

I do get a lot of rattles form my cd's and crap in the door pockets and glovebox though.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
good news seb. you bought a nimbus car right? i really like that colour, especially on the R27.

if i wasn't so set on a Mk2 V6 i'd be after a 197 R27 now.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
yeah nimbus.

[IMGO]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y13/seb290482/CIMG0060.jpg[/IMGO]

[IMGO]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y13/seb290482/100_0309car3.jpg[/IMGO]

my new commuter vehicle:

[IMGO]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y13/seb290482/CIMG0056.jpg[/IMGO]

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
Interesting, I would not call your 197 a poverty spec! still got lots of equipment.

Personaly im a 197 lover, i'd have one. Maybe this time next year although thinking about it, for the cash id get a meggy 225.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
i'm only joshing re the poverty psec. only option was metallic paint. :)

Mk4 .:R32
I like the 197 now, didn't at first. I like the wide wings and the little side vents!! Has build quality improved over the old clio??

RB 200 Cup!
i like the 197 now aswell - especially after seeing the racing blue ones at RWS yesterday! tempted by one myself - maybe next year

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
Since driving one they've really grown on me too :)

Dan

The Bus and MRT
I saw a Black R27 yesterday, looked absolutely fantastic. Would love one for my next car but for the price think I'll have to get the R26. Much preffer the looks of the R27 though

Feelings are the same with mine, racked up 11.5k miles now and is getting looser and runs really nicely, I really like the exhaust note at around 2.5-3.5k when around town too..niiiice.

Going in for it's first service next week before it gets thrashed round castle combe on Rallyday!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
the glovebox lid still fits as bad as the phase 2 clios iirc!!

I love them, always have, not like 90% of the haters here. Had a good spank over a blue 197 with xenons, very nice, how anyone can say they look like the standard MK3's are blind. Fat wings, side vents, diffuser, even widened 1/4 panles 16v stylee? (not sure on that, they look it though) I'd love one next year :)

The Bus and MRT
the glovebox lid still fits as bad as the phase 2 clios iirc!!

I love them, always have, not like 90% of the haters here. Had a good spank over a blue 197 with xenons, very nice, how anyone can say they look like the standard MK3's are blind. Fat wings, side vents, diffuser, even widened 1/4 panles 16v stylee? (not sure on that, they look it though) I'd love one next year :)

Probably people that have never seen one in real life... they look much better than in any pictures

M

mini-valver

I love them, glad it's rattle free etc as I'll be getting one or a vee next year! Nimbus or Albi blue me thinks....

Can you get a 0-70 ;) run video or something now it's loose?

Feelings are the same with mine, racked up 11.5k miles now and is getting looser and runs really nicely, I really like the exhaust note at around 2.5-3.5k when around town too..niiiice.

Going in for it's first service next week before it gets thrashed round castle combe on Rallyday!

Excellent! The track-day sessions at Rallyday are one of the most spectated public track sessions in the country, best of luck ;)

I will be sure to get some nice pics.

R26
how funny i got mine in early november 06 and hit 10k yesterday
it is a lot better now than new seems much losser, mpg has improved aswell
and still not a prob with it

M

mini-valver

Here's me taking you for a sensible chap, mini-valver. Get a 182 CUP. LOL

It's not a real cup though ;)
In all seriousness, I very nearly brought one last week but I could'nt bring myself to be yet another RB owner in the NW! I'm going to run mine abit with all the new fangled crap then sell up and get an R27 or a mk1 vee.....

cup 182 mit stripes
I do'nt know what it is you're doing to the domino, but why do I think it will be ultimately something you will regret?

Clio 172 mk2
197 looks great in the silver.....glad it's running well.

Nice bike as well...I ride to work a lot, always good to keep a few miles off the car and get fit at the same time:D

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
yeah i won't be doing any mileage once i change job really.

I have always fancied a vee mk1 as i love the looks of them but then i think what a waste it would be just sitting in my parking space lol plus driving one mile in it won't do it any good.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
i thought 12k was about average really? or under? i reckno i'll be doing 3-4k when i start new job. may have to buy a smart car ;)

M

mini-valver

I do'nt know what it is you're doing to the domino, but why do I think it will be ultimately something you will regret?

You have no idea mate! I think I've had too much time to think about it, lol :dapprove: