ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

100% CPU usage?

Hey all,
I have just started messing around with DivX. When I convert from this format to DVD I get 100% CPU usage (according to Windows XP task manager thing). I know it is bad to ALWAYS run at 100%, but is it OK for an hour or two?

I'm running a P4 2.66GHz with 1gig of DDR RAM. I dont have the CPU temp sensor thing so I cannot tell the temp.

Cheers for any info.
-TS

erm running at 100% doesnt do anything to the pc

infact running 365 days a year at 100% isnt bad either it just means its fully using the cpu :)

It's only bad if it cooks the CPU due to bad cooling - it will get hotter running at 100% but with proper cooling it's fine.

Thanks McBunny, thats what I was thinking. I was just thinking that maybe it would put extra strain on the fan and mobo.

BTW, VSO DivxToDVD software is great! Its free (if you use the older version) and creates faultless DVDs with only around 3 clicks to get it started!!

Clio 172 Ph2
Your cpu probably has a temp sensor built in.

If you're worried, just find a little tool that can read it. Something like the one from www.hmonitor.com should do the trick.

Of course you could just drop back to the bios quickly and view it in there.

As McBunny said, using the cpu isn't a problem... it getting too hot is. Normally the two go hand in hand - unless you've got REALLY bad cooling, where it's too hot even when idle!

well, its an 18month old Dell Dimension 4550. I dunno if they have good cooling but tbh, i've never had a problem with it freezing or crashing or anything. But then again, i've only just started to push it ;)

Cheers for the info fella's!
-TS