ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

100mb broadband ?

HyperAlloy Combat Chassis
One isn't better than the other, it all depends where you live and what the services are like in your region. Both can be good, both can be bad. I've had cable for years at home and it's been great, I've always got the speed I've paid for which is currently 20 meg (with the exception of a couple of months at the virgin rebranding). Looking forward to 50 meg. We use DSL at a lot of our sites at work and it's a lot more variable.

When people say their connection is slow you have to take it with a pinch of salt. It usually means their P2P app is running slow or they've been to some "speed test" site. A lot of cable customers also don't have equipment that can handle more than 6mbps and don't realise they need to change out their elderly modem and router :rolleyes:

Leon Cupra R 225
lol at this thread, I'm more than happy with the 7.5mb speeds I'm getting downstream and about 500kbps upstream constantly and 100% reliably through adsl with Orange :)

Clio F1 R27
One isn't better than the other, it all depends where you live and what the services are like in your region. Both can be good, both can be bad. I've had cable for years at home and it's been great, I've always got the speed I've paid for which is currently 20 meg (with the exception of a couple of months at the virgin rebranding). Looking forward to 50 meg. We use DSL at a lot of our sites at work and it's a lot more variable.

When people say their connection is slow you have to take it with a pinch of salt. It usually means their P2P app is running slow or they've been to some "speed test" site. A lot of cable customers also don't have equipment that can handle more than 6mbps and don't realise they need to change out their elderly modem and router :rolleyes:

I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND CABLE TECHNOLOGY OVER A GOOD DSL SERVICE. The cable local loop fibre run is presented on a multi access network, much like a traditional ethernet segment.

Although the cable company may present a 20,30,40 or even 100Mbps connection to your home you will be sharing that with everybody else in the street or beyond that!

With DSL you have a point to point connection to the exchange. This means your internet traffic hits the exchange on your own copper pair and is then backed off onto providers main backbone and out to the wider internet.

It does depend on location as to what you chose, but if you can get decent DSL then go for that everytime (Generally LLU services are much better than unbundled - you need to check this out).

If you do chose a cable provider and someone else is on the same cable network segment as you and is hammering their link you're guaranteed to suffer the consequences!!

Japan/Korea = fibre networks.

Not really.

DSL is still predominant over there.

There's an underlying myth that everyone in Japan has some "uber" connection but the reality is the average connection isn't that far removed from Britain or Europe. Granted there's a tiny minority that have some fantastic connections but it's an exception as opposed to the norm.

Not sure on japan, but in HK we all had 30mb lines when i was but a boy searching for p**n, then last time i went back in 2003 everybody had 100mb setups.

So i cant see japan being worse off as their infrastructure is more advanced, even more so korea!

172 cup'd extreme
Many cities and towns in scandanavia are now on fibre, A company in the UK are even installing fibre in the sewer system!

172 Cup
Not really.

DSL is still predominant over there.

There's an underlying myth that everyone in Japan has some "uber" connection but the reality is the average connection isn't that far removed from Britain or Europe. Granted there's a tiny minority that have some fantastic connections but it's an exception as opposed to the norm.

Not sure on japan, but in HK we all had 30mb lines when i was but a boy searching for p**n, then last time i went back in 2003 everybody had 100mb setups.

So i cant see japan being worse off as their infrastructure is more advanced, even more so korea!

http://www.speedtest.net/global.php?continent=4&country=91

Doesn't seem to support the "myth"..

Clio F1 R27
Many cities and towns in scandanavia are now on fibre, A company in the UK are even installing fibre in the sewer system!

This is probably fibre trunking. The access layer to your home will still probably be copper as fibre is very expensive.

Clio F1 R27
since Virgin took over my broadband speeds have gone to sh1t

As I said previously, on Cable Broadband you are running on a multiaccess network. With ADSL you have a point to point connection to the exchange.

It's probably busy because the network in your local area is oversubscribed and there are too many people on the segment.

In the UK, my 20mb Virgin cable has been 100% reliable for years (at all speeds). Connection speeds in excess of 18mb or c.2MB/s downloading speed are common. The peak time speed restrictions never bother me.

Here in Europe I have a 16mb 'telephone thingy' and it's shite.

Cable for plug 'n' play & reliability :D