ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

102 Octane

Black Gold 182 (Cup Pack)
BP near me in egham doing 102 octane fuel now, i know they did it around the country, but never seen it on sale. Anyone used it? pretty sure it's not going to be worth the £2.43 per litre, but I dont pay for my petrol anyway, so might give it a go. Any experiences, or will it only be noticeable in a very highly tuned car?

RenaultSport 197
2.43 a ltr.. Foooooookin eck!

I use 97 RON. Seems more snappier.. but dunno if that's just my driving lol. Can imagine 102 should be interesting.

RS Clio 200
wont make any difference in a 182.

It has been proved to make dramatic incrases, but only in turbo cars....only thing u might get in a clio is a couple of extra mpg

FF Blackgold 182
I read about in EVO acouple of issues back. They said something like 8 stations do it across the country and it's aimed at the racing driver fraternity. As said it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference in a Clio though.

u got a race circuit near you then? BP chose garages where track day goers would be

well thats what I thought but saw it there the other day, you have to park at the pump, then go up the counter, tell them you want to buy it and agree to pay the huge sum of money, then you get given a code then you go back to the pump, there is a keypad on the pump, lift the nozzle and type the code in to agree to pay the money, i think so people dont get confused. but no, there is not racetrack near me, unless you class the old part of brooklands as a race track!

F1 - R26
BP near me in egham doing 102 octane fuel now, i know they did it around the country, but never seen it on sale. Anyone used it? pretty sure it's not going to be worth the £2.43 per litre, but I dont pay for my petrol anyway, so might give it a go. Any experiences, or will it only be noticeable in a very highly tuned car?

Won't be any better than V power unless you have a remap specifically done to take advantage of the higher octane.

MK1 V6 Lutecia / 197
Article about this in this months EVO mag.

Tests done a 197 BHP Golf MK5 GTi gave 212BHP with BP 102RON and 30 Ib ft torque more too so those who claim it won't do anything on a 172/182/197BHP clio may be wrong. Its as close to race fuel as you can get for the road.

Article about this in this months EVO mag.

Tests done a 197 BHP Golf MK5 GTi gave 212BHP with BP 102RON and 30 Ib ft torque more too so those who claim it won't do anything on a 172/182/197BHP clio may be wrong. Its as close to race fuel as you can get for the road.

Mk5 Gti has a turbo hence will get more power from better ron Fuel as it can run more boost without det.

Volvo S60 T5 asap
Just put Shell V-Power in (proven at 99.8ron) and get some Aidon Octane booster. Larkspeed stock it. Used it in a project car of mine, and it made a huge difference (1992 Bmw 525i (24v 189hp). £10 a bottle. £10 does 10litres and max dosage (+6 octane)

Peddled device
Hardly any difference between Asda 95 ron and BP Ultimate/Shell 98 ron in my car........apart from 12p a litre !!!!

They done a test on top gear or 5th gear one of the two, anyway they tryed:-

97 BP
98 Optimax

They tested all 3 Ron's on these 3 cars:-

Mk3 Clio 1.4 16v
Mk5 Golf gti turbo
Scooby Sti 55reg shape

No gains were made on the clio, the golf seen gains with the 97, then alittle bit more with the 98, the scooby had the biggest gains using the 98. So as said your only really going to get any more bhp/torque if youve got a turbo. The RS clios might get somethink of a gain but i cant see it really imo.

Peddled device
My old 205 gti had better throttle response with the Shell 98 ron and maybe slightly more power top end of the rev range but not much else.
Today l went to Teesport and back and on Asda 95 ron (l was late this morning and Asda was the quickest place to fill up) the car flew.I'm sure that on a RR the higher octanes may get a better reading but on the road theres nothing in it.
I'll shut up now as l know this topic has been done to death :)

Cliosport 172
They also do that 102ron @ the bp on the a1261 heading towards Canary Wharf, must be aimed at all the banker w*****s in thier f430 etc! Not that they'd no what to do with it though most of them can't drive for sh*t!!

RRover Sport HST, clio 19
I'm a banker - I dont have an F430....and am not a w****r !!!!

Cant stand them, give me an Aston any day..

Actually it is probabaly something to do with Ferrari's main Showroom being in Egham, and their repair centre in Chertsey, come to think of it, it actually faces the Ferrari garage.

Cliosport 172
Egham's miles away fella i meant it's on the main route into canary wharf!!
Sorry Coxie bit of a generalisation my bad!

RRover Sport HST, clio 19
You are quite right though Boosta, a lot of my colleagues are young, jumped up and pretentious and they blow all their cash on flash cars, and you're right, they cant drive them either.. Most of them have more cash then they know what do with, and because the 102 Octane is more expensive, they think it'll make them drive better - wrong..

That'll all change once they grow up and get married -

Anyway, a debate, which would you rather have - Aston DB9 or Ferrari F430..??

havent seen you about Boosta, I am in Hatfield quite a bit, family live in the Ryde...

Cliosport 172
I'd have to go with the F430 tbh coxie the Astons are top notch don't get me wrong but been a ferrari fan since i was knee high love em!

I'm in Old Hatfield fella i'll have to keep my peepers open for ya, if you haven't already done it have a blast down the A1000 from hatfield to Potters bar top stuff if you get a clear run!! and it's right outside my door so very convenient when i need a fix!!