ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

106 Rallye

Toureg vW Transporte

my mates got one of these bad boys, basic isnt the word for them inside, but jesus they seem pretty fast, its a phase 2, dont think its that powerful just light, but it seems up there with the vts! any 1 experienced any?;)

Toureg vW Transporte

there fast mind hey, it aint far off my 16v i dont think,havnt had a chance to race him yet,lift off oversteer caught him out, doin 70 and hit 2 kerbs on either side of the road and bent both back wheels in....oh well could off bin worse... could of bin mine

Watch it around the bends though mate, Rallyes handle very well around the twisties, its only on the straights i leave them.

TT 225

Matt, phase 2 ones are the 1.6, phase 1s were the 1.3s

I used to have a 1.3 version :D IMO they were better than the 1.6 version - and you got to rev the nutts off it! The phase 2s were made a bit more sensible :(

Still, bloody good cars :)

Toureg vW Transporte

thanx kel;)beat me to it, yeah the thing handle wicked in the dry but in the wet its appaling cause its soooo light so no grip,u gotta give um respect though.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Rallye-King on 13 February 2003

The Phase 2 has the same engine out of a VTR
Not really...

They share some common bits yes, but different head, different cam, different ECU, mated to a much closer box, etc... they are a totally different engine driving wise.

The rev 1000rpm higher than the VTR, have more peak power, but less low end grunt and more of a "shove" when they come on cam. Behaves more like a 16v, than an 8v.

Not as quick as the 106 GTi or VTS, but still bl00dy quick for the amount of power they have. Lucky peeps in Europe got a 16v Rallye (GTi/VTS lump_ though, which was very quick!

Nowt like the old 1.3 though, which was a mental screamer with a silly close box. Fast little beggars and so fun to drive!

Audi S3

the 1.3 is supposed to be better

cuz its 100bhp out of a 1.3

whereas the 90bhp out of the 1.6 therefore not that impressive!

Matt

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by 16V_Matt on 13 February 2003

the 1.3 is supposed to be better

cuz its 100bhp out of a 1.3

whereas the 90bhp out of the 1.6 therefore not that impressive!
Err... the 1.6 Rallye does NOT only have 90bhp and it is much quicker than the 1.3 version...

Series 1 Rallye:

Engine - 1.3 8v
Power - 100bhp @ 7200rpm
Torque - 80lb/ft @ 5400rpm
0-60 - 9.6secs
0-100 - 29.5secs
Speed - 115mph

Series 2 Rallye:

Engine - 1.6 8v
Power - 103bhp @ 6200rpm
Torque - 97lb/ft @ 3500rpm
0-60 - 8.5secs
0-100 - 25.6secs
Speed - 121mph

Mid range is much better on the S2 Rallye as well and it can nearly match a 106 GTi due to the 8v lump having more bottom end grunt.

My mate Tim had a phase two 106 rallye (now has cup, suppose he must like the down and out lightweight beasts) his rallye had a superchip, full Devil zorst,eco tech and K&N elemement, he frequently took it on various tracks and only rarely got beat by the most modified Cossies or Subs honest it only lacked top end grunt, past 120mph but still on a good stretch would get 135mph (well it said that on the speedo) around the twists it realy did stick like shi* to a blanket i relly do rate this little 106 but has now been left in the past by the CUP!

I agree the 106 rallye is bloody fast since it ways about as much as an empty crisp packet, they are the nuts but very sparce,

i have been in both the phase 1 and 2 and the gti and there doesnt seem to be much difference, and they stick to the road like sh*t to a blanket.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Cherished 16v -

You wanna try a 106 GTi then... ;)

Even quicker than the Rallye and youre right, the handling is superb!

Cant compare a 106 Rallye to a Cup though.

Astra 1.9cdti XP

I had a play with a 106 Rallye (dont know which it was) on the way up to Edinburgh last year. Had a car full fo people and boot full of crap. He came up behind me and I tried to pull away in fourth...doh.... he came past me easily!!! Totally underestimated the Rallye, did eventually catch and showed him who was daddy once I was prepared but it wasnt easy with all the extra weight in my car!!

Cherished 16V is right, I had a phase 2 106 Rallye and it really was quite quick. I had it Rolling Roaded twice, the first at Noble Motorsports facility and later at K&Ns testing centre - where it produced 120 bhp at the fly wheel. I did do a few RWYBs (at Santa Pod and the Shakespeare Race way) and I got a 16.012 - before I had the Super Chip fitted.

I did many a track day in it (Castle Coombe, Three Sisters, Curborough etc)and have to say that its handling was (in my opinion) not far off my Cup!! I went to Anglesey in my Cup last year and only wish I still had the Rallye to compare.

I sold my Rallye to a lad from Wales last year, I wonder if he could be your mate Daffyd??

Id definetly recommend looking at http://www.106rallye.co.ukwww.106rallye.co.uk it is a great site and my good friend Mark Yates (who runs the club) is as passionate about the S2 Rallye as any true car enthusiast should be.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by 16V_Matt on 14 February 2003

well i read that the 1.6 rallye only had 90bhp no nead to get touchy about it!

Matt
Whos getting touchy?!

Just telling you the facts...

Toureg vW Transporte

sorry tim i dont live in wales, herefordshire and worcester,he had his rallye from a main dealer, and the cat exploded on the same day.:(