ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

106 turbo winter project

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Great turnaround.

Some crazy bodges from the previous owner, i swear its more work to bodge it than fix it properly. My old Kangoo 172 was the same when i bought it, wires twisted together, seatbelt bracket held in by an m6 bolt etc. I practically rebuilt the van as i had to go through all of it. Only saving grace was that it was cheap when i bought it.

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
Great turnaround.

Some crazy bodges from the previous owner, i swear its more work to bodge it than fix it properly. My old Kangoo 172 was the same when i bought it, wires twisted together, seatbelt bracket held in by an m6 bolt etc. I practically rebuilt the van as i had to go through all of it. Only saving grace was that it was cheap when i bought it.

You're spot on here mate. It's more effort to do it wrong.
I'm not mechanic either, but I'd never be able to drive it confidently with some of the stuff done to this.

Jamess182

ClioSport Club Member
Had a couple of 106s myself a few years back. God I miss em.
20160916_184554.jpg

I wouldn't worry too much about new exhaust wrap smoking for a while, mine did the same. Probably just oil/dirt from your hands when you fitted it.
Also I feel your pain about the cam ladders. They're actually made out of chocolate, I went through 2 sets.

Not sure how different they are, but I put PT50s in mine and standard ladders worked just fine.

The idle was to die for

Feel free to shoot over any questions I know these little cars pretty well. (not turbo questions though!!)

Jamess182

ClioSport Club Member
Oooo 106 friend, looks lovely that. Where is it now?
Sold it late 2017 to a chap down south who builds race cars. He only bought it because it was a mint caged shell, it was stripped and he sold the rest of the parts. Don't know what it's doing now sadly. It was an ex 400hp turbo hence the plate. Fast car featured etc... so had a lot of history!

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
Had a couple of 106s myself a few years back. God I miss em.
View attachment 1470112

I wouldn't worry too much about new exhaust wrap smoking for a while, mine did the same. Probably just oil/dirt from your hands when you fitted it.
Also I feel your pain about the cam ladders. They're actually made out of chocolate, I went through 2 sets.

Not sure how different they are, but I put PT50s in mine and standard ladders worked just fine.

The idle was to die for

Feel free to shoot over any questions I know these little cars pretty well. (not turbo questions though!!)

Mate of mine built that N444 BHP.

Are you the James that had a rusty ph1 to replace?

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
Shakedown version 2 wasn't very successful.

- Idled light rubbish again, bogging & mis-firing.
Turns out I'd put the wrong coil pack back on. Idiot.
Changed the plugs in all of this. They're pretty coked up.

plugs.jpg

- Then noticed an oil leak from the turbo return. Took it off, to see there is no gasket. The washer sits flush to the flange. Gasket then.

flange.jpg

- Then the fuel gauge and coolant temp stopped working!
Tried all sorts here, earths cleaned, even earthed the sender locally = nothing. Tried some other clocks and that fixed it! WTF. This annoyed me more than it should have.

clocks.jpg

- Oil temp plug broken
I always knew it was, but I thought I should try repair it anyway. The connector was not easy to source. But managed it in the end from Farnells.

oil-Temp.jpg

- Battery terminal was loose
Had been cross threaded. The negative terminal just wobbled about. Sourced one from a forklift.
Replaced both gearbox and chassis earths too, just because they looked poo.

batt.jpg

battery.jpg

New tool came in handy... at least to tell me I hadn't connected the lambda...

mt2500.jpg

- Brakes are still rubbish
Decided to get a 23.8mm master cylinder, as the one that is on it is 19mm from a Quiksilver. The 23.8mm was the one that should mate with the brakes. £40 for a refurbed one wasn't bad. Pedal is now a lot stronger. Still not 100%, so might need to adjust the arm a bit.

master-cyl.jpg

- Burning rubber smell
er... yeah. The 20mm spacers on the rear... are not good enough. The inside tyre wall hits the axle. So, out came the paypal and some 30mm door stops arrived. It does look loads better though.

spacers.jpg

- Boot paint
Back at last from paint.

boot.jpg

-----------

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
Here it is now. The panels I haven't had painted have a couple of years of outside filth on them, so not sure what it'll all look like when it's had a deep cut.

If you look to the first post in the thread on page 1, you can see what it looked like before.

106-now-1.jpg

106-now-3.jpg

106-now-2.jpg

106-now-4.jpg

I've turned the boost up a little bit and went out in the village and it makes some MAAAAAAAADDDDD turbo noises.
It comes on boost harder and earlier than before, with the 'mods' I've done.

Next steps are, to clean it inside and out, put the finishing touches on the interior (mats).
Then Jim is going to help me get it MoTd & the tracking sorted. As well as detail it all, to see if the paint looks any good.

It'll then be for sale.
I've got it to about 70% of where I'm happy with it. I've realised if I keep it any longer, I'll just end up stripping it all back. I've got another car that I'm doing that with, so it has to go. Hopefully the next post will be that it is semi-road legal and looking clean.

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
I turned the boost up and it doesn't half go. Totally different than it first came. It felt pretty rapid on boost.

However, the idle issue/bogging at low revs has returned. You can rev past it low down and it drives fine past 2k but I've now run out of spares, money and enthusiasm.

It went to it's new owner on Thursday. He's going to get it remapped again, as he thinks it's a ignition timing issue and use it as a daily, if it checks out.
He's part of an FB group, so should be able to keep tabs on it.

I've enjoyed throwing the spanners around and it has given me motivation to re-do the Saxo.
Hopefully see you on that thread.

até breve

/closethread