ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1149cc to 1600cc conversion

RB 182 Cup
looking for information on a conversion, 1.2 8v to 1.6/1.4..
will be using the current gearbox.
anybody know what this will involve?

thanks

Changes to often
doing an engine swap is pretty easy, the hard bits getting it legal and insured, not usualy worth the hassel. thats if your going to be all legit about it ;)

Renault Clio 1.2 16v
I drive a 54 plate 1.2 16v. I've read a few threads which really aren't helping me and I'm in a position where an engine swap would be cheaper than a buying a new car due to the rubbish p/x amount id get for my car. To p/x my car for a low mileage 1.6 16v would mean I'd need to fork out an extra £1000 whereas a low mileage engine swap would cost me £400-600 fitted, but.........

Could someone with knowledge let me know what i'd need to change on my car to make way for a 1.6?

One thing i heard was that 1.2, 1.4 and 1.6 16v are identical and nothing needs to be changed on the car apart from perhaps brakes but that's why I'm here to find out for sure.

Thanks

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
shells are the same, 1.2's are very different engines to the 1.4 and 1.6 which are versions of the same thing.

Engine, box, ECU loom and UCH are the biggest parts. You'll find small things as you go along I'm sure.
Most 1.2's are electric PAS so you'd need to adapt the aux belt setup with no PAS pump, or fit hydraulic

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
search for my thread years ago when i was going to do it, i had most of the info all sorted just awaiting parts before i manned the f**k up and bought a 172 lol

I drive a 54 plate 1.2 16v. I've read a few threads which really aren't helping me and I'm in a position where an engine swap would be cheaper than a buying a new car due to the rubbish p/x amount id get for my car. To p/x my car for a low mileage 1.6 16v would mean I'd need to fork out an extra £1000 whereas a low mileage engine swap would cost me £400-600 fitted, but.........

Could someone with knowledge let me know what i'd need to change on my car to make way for a 1.6?

One thing i heard was that 1.2, 1.4 and 1.6 16v are identical and nothing needs to be changed on the car apart from perhaps brakes but that's why I'm here to find out for sure.

Thanks

Then letting insurance know bumps it up, then DVLA etc. If you can afford £600, why not save an extra £400 and make it a whole lot easier? If you think about it now, when you do the engine conversion your car will be worth even less!