ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

116mph in a 40 limit

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

Just caught the news on the radio and they said that west mercia were having a purge on speeding in dudley today and managed to catch someone doing 116 in a 40.I live about 20 miles away in telford and have been there many times and cant think where you could do this.They must have been mad or driving one hell of a car between those islands and traffic lights,there everywhere.....

yer i heard it too, i couldnt beleive it, its almost 3x the limit!!! poor guy, no doubt will go to prison.

Although, speeding like that, he should i think

But if it were say 150 on a motorway, he shouldnt, like the guy in the bmw M5, thats harsh, as allot less damger to others than 116 in a 40!!!

Leon Cupra

Must be on the bypass cant think you could do it anywhere else.

P.S didnt you meen West Midlands Police, West mercia cover Shropshire and Worcestershire area dont they??

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

Yes i did mean west mids,sorry.And yes its an idiotic speed but do believe like you,the motorways should be less harsh for drivers and penalties.Its not like your going to run anyone over on the fast lane of the m6.Just another example of us motorists being a cash cow for the government...

i totally disagree.

if you dont stick to the speed limit, and get caught over it by that much (the motorway analogy i mean) then you deserve to go to jail, motorway or not

silver valver/hybrid

i think a lot of speed limits are way outdated now, even the highways codes braking distances are based on the ford anglia!:confused: BUT i think the one thing thats needs more attention is driving lessons/tests. Most new drivers state that they feel they are a hazard on the road. Motorway driving, night driving, maybe even skid pans should be added into the learning process.

this would potentially RUIN your life. I think the man got 5 months imprison, that’s a criminal record, he will loose his job, find it very very hard to get another one ( on the assumption that this was a high positioned job as he drives an brand new M5), limiting him traveling to other countries ect ect. OK take his drivers license away for good, fine him a ridiculous amount, but not jail

Especially as a few months ago, judges were ordered NOT to imprison burglars EVEN if it were a repeated offence due to lack of space. IMO burglary is 2nd only to rape in terms of how intrusive it is. Now i believe this has been reversed sue to an outcry, but to go and imprison a driver speeding on the motorway at midnight, using tax payers money to do so, is preposterous.

Circumstances must be taken into account, it cannot purely be, if you speed, you get x, time, place ect ect must be taken into account.

dev, i agree with you there, in japan, you go into a driving school, its like a mini town, you dirve for 6 weeks in there, with all the other learners, at the end you taken 2 tests, a theory and practial, THEN you are awarded a Provisional, you must drive on the roads for a year (maybe 2) as a learner, then you may take the next 2 tests, another theory and another practical, if you pass these you then may drive on your own.

Maybe a bit ott, but closer to this would be safer, and insurance would prob. be lower as well!!

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

Its far to harsh in britain.Why cant we just have fines instead of totting up points to potentially ruin your livelyhood.Bigger fines please and you would have to grin and bare it rather than loosing license,then job,house,wifeand kidsetc etc just for speeding in an outdated system,meanwhile as said burglars get away with it and if there young get a free holiday to rehabilitate them.

Jas

ClioSport Admin
  Maserati Ghibli S

Quote: Originally posted by Rorrie on 18 July 2003

this would potentially RUIN your life. I think the man got 5 months imprison, that’s a criminal record, he will loose his job, find it very very hard to get another one ( on the assumption that this was a high positioned job as he drives an brand new M5), limiting him traveling to other countries ect ect. OK take his drivers license away for good, fine him a ridiculous amount, but not jail

Especially as a few months ago, judges were ordered NOT to imprison burglars EVEN if it were a repeated offence due to lack of space. IMO burglary is 2nd only to rape in terms of how intrusive it is. Now i believe this has been reversed sue to an outcry, but to go and imprison a driver speeding on the motorway at midnight, using tax payers money to do so, is preposterous.
I agree, theres far to many double-standards in the sentancing laws. A rapist or paedophile can get less time than a speeder! ?!!?!

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport

I dont think anyone should go to jail for speeding like rorrie says fine em, ban em for life whatever but jail is way too harsh especially considering the sentences some people get for other crimes