ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

130i stretching it's legs

(warning - apologies for horrendous pics) Just recently returned from a trip to southern Germany. My fianceé is German and went to collect her mum who was gonna stay with us for a while. Caught the Eurotunnel to Calais and stayed a night in Reims. Beautiful city.

reaimsphoto.jpg

Stopped at the Reims-Gueux racetrack the next day which was cool. I did a couple of fly-by’s when the road was empty, much to the amusement of my girlfirend, ha.

youmad018.jpg

IMAG0869.jpg

youmad014.jpg

IMAG0871.jpg

youmad012.jpg

Continued on our way the next day and was determined to test the 130i on the autobahn. It was a little busy but managed to get to 130+ a few times, but frustratingly had to come off the gas as the road went to two lanes or got a bit too busy. Anyhow, just after entering Bavaria the road cleared and I managed to get up to 155/156 (girlfriend pressed the button a little prematurely!). It felt remarkably stable at that speed, although I admit to slightly sweaty palms.

youmad019.jpg

Checked up on the condition of my girlfiends car when in Germany. It's a 350slc which her parents bought from new in 1979. We had it over in England for a yr a while ago. Beautiful thing, bonnet goes on forever, but the most tail happy car i've driven... had the back end out round roundabouts at pedestrian speeds:

beemer1IMAG0881.jpg

beemer2IMAG0884.jpg

Stopped off in Luxembourg city on the way home… a little oasis in the blandness of Northern France. Highly recommended if anyone is in the area:

luxIMAG0933.jpg

Anyway, the Beemer was absolutely superb. After initial reservations I’m beginning to love the car more and more each day. It’s luxurious and understated when you want it, but a beast when you’re on it. I can see me keeping it for three or four more yrs then maybe swapping for its sibling, the f20 135i.

Overall mpg over 1500 miles:

youmad013.jpg

The cleanest it's been:

P1020747.jpg

P1020745.jpg

Few pics of Bavaria:

Bavaria2.jpg

Bavaria.jpg

Cheers

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Some good pics, I love the car.

But i'd need to remove the chrome if it was mine.

(What was the MPG? I can't see it in the pic??)

So would I! I've enquired about wrapping and laughably been quoted over £300. Tried taping, looked silly. Apparently it's approx £500 to get it professionally removed and replaced with shadowline.

What he says

Very nice mate, i adore the wheels! Are they off a 3 series?

Standard on the 130i LE. Special edition with 160 produced. Comes with BMW 216 wheels, lemon leather interior, carbon black paint. I have seen a 3 series with them tho, i was sorely tempted to steal his BMW 'Motorsport' stickers!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Aye thought i had seen them before actually! Is it fairly reasonable to run then? 32mpg isnt all bad for the performance?

I would love to remove the chrome. But, have been quoted £300+ to get it wrapped and it's apparently £500 to remove and change to shadow chrome. I did try electrical tap. Never again.

Clio RS200

Thats exactly what I was gonna say, remove the chrome.

Otherwise car looks great. Hoping to get to Bavaria next year for a bit of a road trip. Such a nice place and everyone is so happy all the time :)

Aye thought i had seen them before actually! Is it fairly reasonable to run then? 32mpg isnt all bad for the performance?

I'm running it on Shell V-power and it's made a massive difference over normal. I know some people doubt, and in the clio it made bugger all difference, but i'm now averaging 29 versus 25 on normal. I mainly commute on motorways, but that's inclusive of heavy traffic and weekend/evening runs where it gets the beans.

Lotus Elise
Looks like a great trip and what a car. I was so close to buying one over the summer. Yours is nearly perfect spec.

Bravo.

Thats exactly what I was gonna say, remove the chrome.

Otherwise car looks great. Hoping to get to Bavaria next year for a bit of a road trip. Such a nice place and everyone is so happy all the time :)

Bavaria is amazing. I've been there about 15 times now. It took me a while to work out exactly what was different about the roads, but it's that they don't have any hedges/barriers at the side of the roads. It's just open, flowing tarmac where you can see for miles. I always wanted to take the Clio but never got round to it. People are amazing. My girlfiend went into a shop in town the other week, bought a framed picture but forgot her purse. The shopkeeper said it's cool, bring the money later, and let her take the picture. I was like, what!

Looks like a great trip and what a car. I was so close to buying one over the summer. Yours is nearly perfect spec.

Bravo.

Thank you. Didn't you get the porsche? Not bad either ;)

I'd love to own that Merc. From that era they run and last forever.

It's in pearling condition. Used to love cruising in it, gets loads of attention. Loved the way you'd floor it and the whole front of it lifts up. We'd love to bring it over but it's gonna go towards our house deposit :(

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300
That is a nice understated car! always been a fan more so of the new m135i.

great mini GT car no doubt

Clio 197
Some stunning pictures there. I'm glad you didn't take the picture of the speedo though! (she could have got in in focus...lol)

Lol, not much love for the chrome. I don't notice it as much now ('til i see a black one series with shadowchrome trim and it pains me).

Last edited:
3 of these in my GF's family,I love the 130, as you say, understated but tail happy hooligan when you want.

Quick question...

What MPG do you think you'd see sitting at 85 on the motorway every day? I'd love one, but my daily commute is going to be 40 miles each way... 10mins in traffic and 35mins on the motorway?

3 of these in my GF's family,I love the 130, as you say, understated but tail happy hooligan when you want.

Quick question...

What MPG do you think you'd see sitting at 85 on the motorway every day? I'd love one, but my daily commute is going to be 40 miles each way... 10mins in traffic and 35mins on the motorway?

I'd guess 30/31. To give you an idea i set the trip last Sunday to measure how far it to my sisters new house (2 miles incidently). The car has now done 155 miles since i set it and is sitting on 29.4mpg. I've used it for work 3 times and my girlfriend twice. Hers is 5 miles each way, all small town roads with moderate to heavy traffic. Mine is 20 miles each way, 3 miles town roads, 17 miles motorway with moderate traffic. I probably average 50mph on the way into work and 80mph on the way home. Prior to re-setting it the trip was on 600'ish and mpg on 28, and that included commuting and frequent thrashes (the 6 pot noise is sooo lush when on it). This is with Shell V-power. Been keeping a close eye on mpg (not sad enough to record figures on excel tho) since changing to the higher octane stuff. Not so bad i think.

Wick, also bear in mind that the LE 130i is a facelift, so it has the electric rack. As oppose to the pre-facelift 130i's which had a electric rack (5door only). They say the mpg difference between the two is around 2-4MPG.

Wick, also bear in mind that the LE 130i is a facelift, so it has the electric rack. As oppose to the pre-facelift 130i's which had a electric rack (5door only). They say the mpg difference between the two is around 2-4MPG.

Yup. Careful what you read with some of figures banded about also. I've read people quoting 40mpg on a commute. I did a straight run from Southampton to Manchester, little to no traffic, averaging 70 mpg and recorded 34.5.

I'd guess 30/31. To give you an idea i set the trip last Sunday to measure how far it to my sisters new house (2 miles incidently). The car has now done 155 miles since i set it and is sitting on 29.4mpg. I've used it for work 3 times and my girlfriend twice. Hers is 5 miles each way, all small town roads with moderate to heavy traffic. Mine is 20 miles each way, 3 miles town roads, 17 miles motorway with moderate traffic. I probably average 50mph on the way into work and 80mph on the way home. Prior to re-setting it the trip was on 600'ish and mpg on 28, and that included commuting and frequent thrashes (the 6 pot noise is sooo lush when on it). This is with Shell V-power. Been keeping a close eye on mpg (not sad enough to record figures on excel tho) since changing to the higher octane stuff. Not so bad i think.

Thanks, useful insight. Hard to get an idea as out of the three in the family... One is completely abused 24/4 :evil: One is Gran's lol and it's and Autobox, and one is the facelift three door variant used for short runs only.

Yeah, out of the 3, 2 are hydraulic 5 doors and one is FL 3 door. All lovely but they do "say" the older ones are a better steer.

Yup. Careful what you read with some of figures banded about also. I've read people quoting 40mpg on a commute. I did a straight run from Southampton to Manchester, little to no traffic, averaging 70 mpg and recorded 34.5.

That's the thing, I know the N52 engine is superb, but there are no consistent figures for MPG... Some say lucky to see over 26 ever, others report 36 quite easily.

Apologies for the slight tangent. Lovely car!

Yeah, I wouldn't really expect to see 40MPG. I just about get that in the Trophy, in a 260bhp straight six, I'd expect it to be quite a bit less.

You've got me looking at them again! Would be perfect with a coral red interior and that chrome gone ;)

Looked like an ace trip! Car looks good though...though scared of thought of a lemon interior!

You're right to be scared! I've had to clean them a few times tho i do like the inerior to be peachy. Passenger seat seems to get dirtier more quickly. Maybe i should buy my girlfriend some better quality jeans.

You could try plastidip on the chrome, cheap and easily removed if no good.

Interesting. I'll look into that.

It's really nice inside when I've been in it.

Looks like a good trip, makes me more tempted to drive there next year lol.

Do it! We can go convoy, tho you wouldn't keep up with the MX-5 on those Bavarian country lanes
;)

Z4
I don't like the hatch at all but still a nice car non the less.

Dechrome it with plastidip? Easy, very good finish, and cheap.
I did my front grill and its great, far more durable than paint too.
new11.jpg

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
Bavaria is amazing, I used to go there to do paragliding.

Not a fan of the 1 series tbh.

I don't like the hatch at all but still a nice car non the less.

Dechrome it with plastidip? Easy, very good finish, and cheap.
I did my front grill and its great, far more durable than paint too.

Yeah that looks good. How does that sh*t work though, do you spray on? I'm guessing by the name you dip it in? The chrome is attached to the rear window so removal a problem.

Z4
Yeah that looks good. How does that sh*t work though, do you spray on? I'm guessing by the name you dip it in? The chrome is attached to the rear window so removal a problem.

Its easy.
It's a spray can that you spray onto your chosen area just as though you would paint. It's much more forgiving though!
It would obviously be better to remove the chrome in order to do it but you could easily mask that area off, you could cut it off it needed.
If it looks crap you've wasted only £15