ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

15" Track Tyre - T1R vs PE2

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Currently have some 15's for track, came with 2 x T1R and 2 x PE2's. Would use the Toyo's on the front/Michelins on the rear ... now im not normally a fan of mix & match as its a bit inconsistent, so am considering buying 2 more of either.

The question is, do i go for another pair of T1R's @ £70 or Pe2's @ £105?

This setup is only for track, so i would want the best grip/wear ratio for that use only.

Dont suggest R888's as im not interested.

Ta

Last edited:

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
t1r's. The pe2 doesn't go well when hot (in my experience), only issue with the toyo is the soft sidewall. I'd probably stick the toyo on front, pe2 on the back, and replace with hankook rs2 when they wear out.

c6mby

ClioSport Club Member
hi mate

i run t1r's on my track car and there very good for the money, my only quibble with them is they do wear out quite quickly

hope this helps
regards
sam

Trophy #473
No experience of T1r's but the PE2's will be fine aslong as you run them at the right pressure. Both will wear the sidewalls either way but the PE2's will last longer than the t1r's from what I've seen.

I used my road T1Rs on the ring when we went on our euro trip, they performed very well to my surprise, but I am used to 888s on track.

Out of curiosity, why no interest in 888s or similar?

53 Clio's & counting
See im running a pair of T1R's, that iv now swapped to the back, as they were not very good! gave little feedback, and grip was ok, but just felt like they were falling over them selfs under cornering, no matter what i did with tyre pressures.

What about something like Yoko Paradas? Bloody cheap for what they are, i can get them for about £35 a tyre + vat

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I used my road T1Rs on the ring when we went on our euro trip, they performed very well to my surprise, but I am used to 888s on track.

Out of curiosity, why no interest in 888s or similar?

Too much grip, not enough fun imho.

For me, the idea of a trackday is to both explore the limits of adhesion, & improve my car control. R888's are overkill for such a low powered car. Its about fun, not speed.

;)

Too much grip, not enough fun imho.

For me, the idea of a trackday is to both explore the limits of adhesion, & improve my car control. R888's are overkill for such a low powered car. Its about fun, not speed.

;)

With T1Rs all you'll get is more understeer, which isnt fun. But I can kind of see what you're saying. For me, Clios are built for cornering, and 888s complement that perfectly.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
anybody tried Hankook V12's on track ? Brown Bear ?
Yes, they work well tbh. The reason I like the rs2 though, is that it's a road biased compound, but the still sidewall gives you a much more responsive feel without the over-grippy feeling of a true track tyre. All road tyres will go off imo, the RS2 works well when hot and cold.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
With T1Rs all you'll get is more understeer, which isnt fun. But I can kind of see what you're saying. For me, Clios are built for cornering, and 888s complement that perfectly.
I don't agree! There's no reason why you should get more understeer, especially if you manage pressures and know how to drive the thing. For me trackdays are about fun, not ultimate speed. R888's offer more grip, which wears suspension parts and brakes far more quickly, and doesn't really make it more fun!
RS2's offer the best balance imo. Less grip than a track tyre, but more responsive than a road tyre.

I've only done one day on normal road tyres, so I can't really give my experiences on track as such. When my 888s wear out, I will probably get some road/track tyres so I will be able to compare properly.

Track 172cup
Yes, they work well tbh. The reason I like the rs2 though, is that it's a road biased compound, but the still sidewall gives you a much more responsive feel without the over-grippy feeling of a true track tyre. All road tyres will go off imo, the RS2 works well when hot and cold.

good to hear as i've got a set on my cup so will hopefully fair well on track, might have a look at the RS2's when they wear down

will be interesting to see how long they'll last and what the wear will be like being pushed more to it's limits on track rather than just on road

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Been running rs2s for 2yrs now.
It was bad enough getting them when only a few people knew of them :cry:

53 Clio's & counting
Iv always used F1's, but they are getting hard to get hold of, I used to be able to buy them for £34 a piece, now the cheapest I can get them is £50 each :(

So im considering what to use next, Iv tried T1R's are was not impressed, so im in the same situation Dave.

Clio 172
My michelins died at the ring badly, it was mega hot though. A friend recently did teeside and had a similar issue with his PE2's. Id go for the cheaper and probably worse t1r's as both tyres will go off may as well go for cheaper option

Golf GTD Mk7
second hand 888's mate. Can't rate them highly enough. Amazing rubber. Just got to be on the look out. PE2s and TR1s are ok, but they're road tyres after all. Hankooks are a good happy medium for me, but if you can get hold of some scrubbed 888's there is no decision needed. Lots of feel, not as bad as everyone says in the wet and loooooooooooooooads of grip in the dry :D

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
My michelins died at the ring badly, it was mega hot though. A friend recently did teeside and had a similar issue with his PE2's. Id go for the cheaper and probably worse t1r's as both tyres will go off may as well go for cheaper option

Reason being road tyre on track.
Try track tyre on road :)
Several trackdays & 5000 road miles & were still going strong when i sold the car.

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
I use T1R for sprints and hill climbs, in the dry full treaded tyres are rubbish so I have them shaved down to 3-4 mm which stops the tyre squirming around and over heating but I use a full treaded tyre for the wet as this gives excellent grip.
I would say buffing them would help a great deal when doing 6-7 laps as I ruined a pair of full treaded tyres in 5 miles on a sprint.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Dave, just measured the tread on my PE2s and by rough calculation from services and MOTs on mileage, I estimate my fronts have done 3-4,000 miles with 4.5mm tread left and rears have done 10,000 miles with 6mm tread left. And you know by my mpg I get the don't drive easy much. I'm going to find the recipts to double confirm when I bought them but don't think there'll be much difference in my calculations.

Compared to my Eagle F1s that did 6,000 miles of pure abuse on the fronts and another pair that did 6,000 on the rear and 6,000 on the front of reasonable abuse, the PE2s look worth the extra over the F1s. Makes me realise just how good value they are.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Whoops made a slight error. Just looked through what I've done properly and 1 pair of PE2s has done 6k miles on the back and 4k on the front, and has 4.5mm tread left and the other pair has done 4k miles on the rear with 6.5mm tread left (measured properly this time).

Trophy #473
The most ive got from a pair of PE2's is 6k without any track days! 4k with half the tread left is pretty good.

Dave go with a set of Hankook RS2's, £100 for a pair which is on the expensive side but as Brown Bear said a good tyre for track that doesn't make things too easy or harsh on the car. Also they last pretty well, done over 2k miles including a hard session of Rockingham already since having them and have easily half tread left.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Dave,,,do you prefer everyday driving on 15's compared to 15.s?

Not sure, havent put them on the car yet lol.

Would imagine that id prefer the 15's though. The tyres are narrower, & less grip = more adjustability in my eyes.

The T1R's i took off had 5-6mm of tread, & went straight onto the F1's that Budgie is selling (i swopped the T1R's for his PE2's) :)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I would have liked some standard f1's! I obviously wasn't paying attention to your breaking thread, nvm.

Dave if you could post it that'd be great, by the time I've done a 150 mile round trip to JMS to get them, I could have bought the things from Renault.

Do the most expensive/quickest posting option and I'll send over whatever it is.

Cheers.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Yeah I'm having them Rob :)

I've just got myself a pair of Hankook V12 Evos for them, so will see how the feel with the T1Rs. Will be interesting to see how they compare against PE2s.

330i. E30 Touring.
There are four paradas in the FS section, Vish..

Or have you paid for the V12's already?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
DAVVVEEEEE. Take to JMS please, Steve is going there in the morning. Let me know you see this, lol!

Much love :)

The paradas in the FS section are over priced though tbh, can get them on camskill for £20 more for the lot I swear?

Vish, damn you beating me to it, I need two new tyres, seriously bald one from too many roundabouts.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
There are four paradas in the FS section, Vish..

Or have you paid for the V12's already?

Yup, bought them yesterday and fitted today, but didn't cost much more for brand new. Really want to see how good they are after a lot of good comments about them. Otherwise back to PE2, epic tyre for price, grip and wear.

DAVVVEEEEE. Take to JMS please, Steve is going there in the morning. Let me know you see this, lol!

Much love :)

The paradas in the FS section are over priced though tbh, can get them on camskill for £20 more for the lot I swear?

Vish, damn you beating me to it, I need two new tyres, seriously bald one from too many roundabouts.

:rasp: I wanted a change and plan on doing a fair bit of track next year so could do with cheaper rubber.

Camskills are £185 delivered, so a bit of a saving.

Try Hankook Rs2 in 15 :D

Really wanted to get some RS2s but wanted longer life for the price so had to compromise for now.