ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

16 v insurance

Clio 172

Hi

Can someone tell me if this sounds about right!

I am 17 with a clio mk1 16v which has the following:

Leather seats (standard)

Full magnex exhaust

Lowered

17" alloys

Fse boost valve

I/k

(both I/k and boost valves are being taken out for insurance costs)

I have been quoted with me as the first driver and my dad as second by admiral 2626 tpft a year. Does that sound about right for my age + car?

Thanks

Clart

ClioSport Club Member

putting an older more experienced female driver on ur insurance will lower it even more. Not sure about the price tbh!

not how it works, a female as second driver will bring it down more, try both! most companies will laugh at you valver and 17 not a good idea..

Clio 172

All I want to know tho if 2626 is about right for my age + car. I have a job so I can sort of pay the high rip off prices. Can anyone give me an idea?

phone around, Id say 2K would be accaptable but Id never pay that, even with a job, get a 1.4RT for a year. will probably save your life as well.

ex Clio 172 owner :(

I agree with BluePete £2600 for insurance is crazy.

£200/month just for a piece of paper that (should) cover you in the event of a crash. Plus its only tpft, if you crash the car yourself, youve lost the lot! I wouldnt even pay £2600 for fully comp.

You could get another car for that.

I always wanted a 16v but didnt get one, I got an RT. Theres no way Id pay that sort of money.

I always knock my quote down by adding my mother on with Elephant.

LY 200

Mate youve done better than me...When i was 17 gettin insured on modified 1.1s and 1.2s were a problem!!!Lol

I still managed to get quotes of above 2k on valvers and willys in may this year at 19 so id say a fair price for what your tryna cover!!!

Be carefull fella when you get that insurance as they are dangerous cars if not driven with responsibly!!!

the fact that you even got someone to give you a quote amazes me.

if your determined to do it take the 2600 offer I doubt you will beat it.

and PS dont drive like a c@ck and kill yourself!

ice

Have you just passed your test then? Be carefull dude, not a good car to have when in-experienced!
+ Lets hope its not a lemon either, or youll be paying even more than your insurance premium on repairs next month!

For 17yrs of age, its not too bad. i payed around 1800 @ 18 iirc.

Clio 172

I want to keep the car and no I am not going to drive like an ar*e. Just have liked the valver for a while.

I can get insurance no problem without the mods.

Could sell it but its mint atm and want to keep it.

I know a lad paying £2k on a 1.3 106 rally for a first car... now that is blooming insane!!

Although saying that ill probably be paying twice that next time i get a car, lol :oops:

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

Bri it shouldnt be that bad....well not really lol. I paid 2700 when my licence returned from Swansea with a DD40 ...but with a couple of NCB it went down to about £1000.

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra

Id be on the phone ASAP with a quote like that! Im paying £2300 (FC) now and Im 22 with 2 years NCB!

Not exactly standard tho

<-

Driving a valver at your age probably would be a bad idea though

[Edited by coolspot007007 on 07 December 2004 at 7:11pm]

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra

If I was 17 again, Id be on a bonus accelerator policy driving a Ka or something for a year or two.

Quote: Originally posted by Martin. on 07 December 2004

Bri it shouldnt be that bad....well not really lol. I paid 2700 when my licence returned from Swansea with a DD40 ...but with a couple of NCB it went down to about £1000.
Its the DD40 and a 10k write off claim that may scupper the situation me thinks, although thanks to tesco insurance i do still have 1years NCB luckily :oops:

have you passed your test yet?

as that is an excellent quote for the car & your age, is that on a provisional license?
however 17 yrs old, 16v & lack of experience = bad news
(im sorry to say that but it happens)

my bro is 18 & he was getting quoted 2.5k (f/c) upwards on a 1.25 fiesta zetec (grp 5)
personally id drive a slower car till you get experience of driving.

£2600 sounds about right, maybe you should have considered insurance before you brought the car or done whats been suggested and buy a unmodded lower insurance group one and ran around in that for a couple of years. Insurance premiums are set like they are for a reason!

don't

i found with elephant and admiral that having 2 older females on the policy brought it down more than with my dad on it at all, females are much better, u dont need them 2 be family either, my 2 are ppl from work :)

full no claims and no crashes

was ur quote for 10 months third party fire and theft or for 12 months

i doubt ud get it much cheaper, have you tried cis??

u say u wont drive like an arse but thats what every1 says, your young and that is a very powerful car, the 1.1 metro i had at ur age was plenty fast enough for me ;-)

clio 16v

my valver is my 1st car, but i,m 22, and im paying 1k TPFT, which is ok, but at 17m i would have written it off by now, i know every1 has told you this, but it will scare the poo out of you to start with, and it can easily get away from you, take it slow!!

Vee dub

Blimey a 16v at 17??

Some companies said I had to be 21 to insure mine

I got a good deal in the end. Im 20.

over £2,500 is ridiculous to pay for insurance! But if you have the money and are willing to pay it, then thats your choice. As for it sounding about right, yeah i spose thats what u can expect to pay on a hot hatch at 17!!

tom

has any1 noticed there has been a lot of young drivers on here the last week or so tryin to insure valvers?

the answer to their questions are still the same tho:

1) ya will kill yourself, car too powerful 4 person wit lil experience

2)insurance will shaft u to insure it

3)get somethin smaller engined 4 a while

took me ages to build my NCB n insure my valver

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5

i have an RT and am 19 with an sp50 and two claims and pay 1400 a year fully comp on it, but in march when i have one years ncb, to insure my RT with the willy conversion it is 1800 tpft, if i were you i would definatley wait!,

honestly when insurance is that much, all you need to do is prang it and claim and it will rise like a MOFO! trust me a 80 bhp RT is more than enough power for your first car, as most people buy 1.1s etc.. and it is plenty quick enough to see off 1.4 corsas, 1.8 focus, and 1.6 fiesta zetec-s,

plus you may aswell leave the induction kit off the car, it makes it slower anyway, unless you want it just for the noise and do not mind your car being a tad slower!

john

BMW 118d

Im 20 with a valver, and I can admit that when I drive it sometimes it scares me the amount of power there is there. I drive about 25,000 miles a year but I still feel inexperienced to drive such a powerful car.

Clio 172

Quote: Originally posted by DAVE_RSi on 08 December 2004

i found with elephant and admiral that having 2 older females on the policy brought it down more than with my dad on it at all, females are much better, u dont need them 2 be family either, my 2 are ppl from work :)

full no claims and no crashes

was ur quote for 10 months third party fire and theft or for 12 months

i doubt ud get it much cheaper, have you tried cis??

u say u wont drive like an arse but thats what every1 says, your young and that is a very powerful car, the 1.1 metro i had at ur age was plenty fast enough for me ;-)

Was for 10 month bonus :(

Vee dub

Quote: Originally posted by MattsClio on 08 December 2004

Im 20 with a valver, and I can admit that when I drive it sometimes it scares me the amount of power there is there. I drive about 25,000 miles a year but I still feel inexperienced to drive such a powerful car.
I agree....

I drive 1.2 clio on weekdays, then hop in the 16v and it really is a scary difference in performance (and im a careful driver too! lol). Im still getting used to it after 3 months.

BMW 118d

[/QUOTE] I agree.... I drive 1.2 clio on weekdays , then hop in the 16v and it really is a scary difference in performance (and im a careful driver too! lol). Im still getting used to it after 3 months.
[/QUOTE]

I am the same as you!! In fact are you sure you arent the same person as me, lol. I have had my valver for 3 months, but still use my 1.2 for weekday driving