ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

16 Valve Oil

Hi I have a 92 16 Valve clio with 92000 miles on the clock. I want to service it and do a oil change. What do you recommend for the best oil for this car to prolong the engine life but also still enable the engine to run quietly.

THAANKS

ah, the engines stll fine as long as its had regular oil changes anyway.

milage isnt high.

Just go fully synth, its all settled anyway.

Dont worry too much about it, it can get all complicated and technical, but it doesnt need too. i like my 15w50s but someone will invariably reccomend the water like 0w30s or something.....might as well run vegatable oil in there....lol

Audi S3

15w 40 stuff looks good and what a lot of peeps use

ive used 0w 40 because its been on that for its whole life!

Matt

clio williams, Ph1 172

is 10w 40 ok mate? semi synthetic??

Thats what I use in my valver thats done 69K. seems to run fine and it spends a lot of time at high revs once warm. Is tappy when cold though.

Revels Mum & Sister

I use Mobil 1 15W-50

On offer in tescos of all places £16.99 for 4 litres. I have a 16V with 87,000 on the clock mate!!

Hope that helps. Runs really good and still quiet!!

ergh, 10w40 is a very very old grade.......

especially in mineral or semi synth form its basically crap. It has alot of polymers in it which can lead to rapid deposit build up and is not the best one to choose.

15w50 mobil 1 is good stuff.

If you want, you can run a 15w40 mineral then ad a ltr of 15w50 mobil one.....youll get the benefits of the synthetic protection and longer drain periods at a lower price. and there are no cons....

Blimmey I got loads of help! I know more about Oils in the last ten minutes than i ever new!!! Cheers people!!! Alot of people seem to use that Mobil 1. Has anyone tried adding that Slick 50 or does it damage your engine or actually work at all?

Revels Mum & Sister

Not sure mate I wouldnt bother with additives and cleaners when it comes to oil and stuff. Sometimes you can Unblock a Hole that was happily blocked due to your engine being high mileage.

Stick some Mobil one in or do as BenR said with the Mineral Oil. Will try that next time I think mate.

Go to tescos (Open 24Hrs) Get some Oil!!

Nice one ICE cheers mate. Shame about that guys car been jacked up by the little b******s! I reckon we should form a Vigilante group and hand them in to the police kind of like bounty hunting but rewarded with parts instead of cash!

Skoda Fabia vRS

dont use additives, especially Slick 50, it contains solid PTFE particles

id recommend a fully synth 5W-40, such as what im usin at the moment, Total Quartz 9000

im on 91k

Mobil 1 15w-50 is what Ive always used and no problems. Its taken severe running up to an indicated 150 degrees c for twenty minutes at a time (before I got my oil cooler) and on the oil change came out clean as a whistle ,no sludge in sight.

If Tescos have it for £16.99 then go and buy ten bottles of it! In fact Im going down there now!

£16:99! Thats cheaper than the same amount in beer! (well it is around my part of the country) I think i will drink the stuff. Thanks I went and got the oil today!

Clio 190bhp Hybrid

My local tescos between leamimngton spa and warwick had no mobil oil !!!!!

Maybe just a special in one store unless any1 else has seen any?

FRST and 106 GTi

GO BEER!!!! who cares about oil?? :p

I use 5w50 Mobil 1 (on RT engine). Only change it when I must. Dont care about milage...

Oil wont give you more power... only lubrificates it and goes down on wear..

BMW 320d Sport

So anyone else got any reports of cheap Mobil 1 ? The best I found lately was £27 in Halfords on special. Got a bottle in the shed still that I was laying down for future generations.

Revels Mum & Sister

Well can gurantee it is £16.99!!!!!

Bought some today.

If shipping aint too much then if anyone wants some will get it and post. But would imagine it would work out the same!!

clio williams, Ph1 172

whats the difference between normal 15W 50 and Mobil 1 anyway? You can get that grade a lot cheaper.

I change my oil every 4k though. does that not make a difference? I have always been told to change it regular and even if u dont use fantastic oil its better as it doesnt get as degraded.

15w50 is more stable and better for thrashing about with.

0w or 5w is made froma thinner base, cover cold starts slightly better and has a temp range that goes lower then 15w.

Saying that though, the 15w is so advanced that its just as good as other brand 5w30s. There really not a diff at all up at operating temp.

Willy2

Mobil 1 is good i use it but i think i hav an oil leak or an oil eater. Seem to be topping up a bit frequent, not alot but still topping up. But i have been thrashing her recent, my mate has moved near the A40 so there is a nice strech to put your foot down.

FRST and 106 GTi

nopes... 5W50 Mobil 1. And who said Im from uk?! :p cant you tell by my speeling errors? :)

btw, our beer is stronger than yours. eheh

I just use this oil because it was on a cheap sell for over a couple of mouths.

On a turbo car and non-turbo I would say to use nothing under 10w... unless your car is fine, doesnt "eats" oil and you find one really cheap!

um check teh mobil 1 website...no such thing!???

Stronger beer!!! good thing you dont get cider then........yum.

FRST and 106 GTi

5W50 mate.... I know what Ive used on that lazy engine. I just dont usually keep in my room the oil cans, so no picture available.

eheh... Once I got my driving license (some years ago.. when turned 18) I slowed down on the drinking... too much responsability, and belive it. I dont drink when driving.

If I go to uk, we shall drink then. :)

For you just tea!!!

maybe special portugese corn oil.........Mo ba Jil numero uno.........corna stoiche grande.......

Oferta especial, tão bom como azeite de oliva e óleo de motor!!

FRST and 106 GTi

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLL es mesmo do piorio!!!

When I drain the engine, I keep the oil for rubing my body everytime I come out of shower! BoInG! :p