ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox oil and general queries.

CLIO 172, Laguna 3
Hey all!

Not new to the Reno game but to the forum.

Gearbox oil, what do I use?
I have been searching high and low for the elf nfj 75w 80, but that doesn't seem to exist here and elf doesn't make it anymore and the replacement is no longer manufactured either.

None of the auto websites here in Australia have a suggested use for Clio specific gearbox oils, all of them come up blank.

I know that Clio gearboxes are known for being temperamental and need a specific type of oil, otherwise it sheers the gears.

Any recommendations?

Also, would love to meet some other clios in NSW :)

Cheers!

Maddi

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Hey all!

Not new to the Reno game but to the forum.

Gearbox oil, what do I use?
I have been searching high and low for the elf nfj 75w 80, but that doesn't seem to exist here and elf doesn't make it anymore and the replacement is no longer manufactured either.

None of the auto websites here in Australia have a suggested use for Clio specific gearbox oils, all of them come up blank.

I know that Clio gearboxes are known for being temperamental and need a specific type of oil, otherwise it sheers the gears.

Any recommendations?

Also, would love to meet some other clios in NSW :)

Cheers!

Maddi
Redline MTL is the oil that works best in a jc5.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Redline MTL is the oil that works best in a jc5.

Good info cheers, due to do mine as well as it goes

How much does the box take/need/do i need to order? And what grade?

Mines going on track and I wasn't sure whether to go for MTL or M90?

Last edited:

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
I’m running Millers TRX 75w80 GL5 in mine, smooth changes and no crunching. Although the bottle said GL4 on it also.

There's loads of BS surrounding GL4 and GL5 oil online, it's a real PITA trying to find info. IIRC the MTL is GL4?

@NorthloopCup probably knows the specifics

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Good info cheers, due to do mine as well as it goes

How much does the box take/need/do i need to order? And what grade?

Mines going on track and I wasn't sure whether to go for MTL or M90?
3 bottles of MTL is enough for the jc5 mate.

If you have a diff, or you do long stints then the MT90 is a better choice because of the heat range it works in.

There's loads of BS surrounding GL4 and GL5 oil online, it's a real PITA trying to find info. IIRC the MTL is GL4?

@NorthloopCup probably knows the specifics
GL5 is too slippery for the synchros, and whilst it doesn’t kill them instantly, it does take its toll on them.

MTL and MT90 is a GL4 spec oil.

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Motul Motylgear 75w-80 EP Technosynthese is GL4 and I think motul specifically recommends it for the JC5 gearbox.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Straight GL5 is a no go, the extra Sulphur/Phosphorus additives attack bronze and copper. I believe things marked GL4/GL5 have different additives which make the oil behave like GL5 but without the additional S/P.

Traditionally GL5 is for diffs, GL4 is for gearboxes.

RED LINE Synthetic Manual Transmission Lubricant MTL 75W-80 GL4
Motul Motylgear 75w-80 EP Technosynthese Car Transmission Fluid

Although not listing compatibility with Renault specifications Fuchs TITAN SINTOFLUID should also be just fine, Red Line would be my go to though if its available.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Is that still a thing for GL5? I thought they'd come up with newer additives that didn't f**k over yellow metals - considering they're fairly well used.

@NorthloopCup have you ever stripped a box and seen wear to bronze from GL5 oil?

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Is that still a thing for GL5? I thought they'd come up with newer additives that didn't f**k over yellow metals - considering they're fairly well used.

@NorthloopCup have you ever stripped a box and seen wear to bronze from GL5 oil?
I think they have and that oil is often marked up as GL4/GL5 but redline make a straight GL4 and a GL5 I believe. As Northloop mentioned earlier the slippery GL5 type stuff is a bit too slipely for synchro's regardless of additive compatibility.

Clio 172
i was wondering what oil to be putting in my new refurbed box i put motul in my current one and it worked well untill after 6 months its decided not to

CLIO 172, Laguna 3
Cheers everyone!
Good to know everyones perspectives, ended up going with a Penrite semi synthetic 75w 80 that designed for transaxles, transfer cases and manual gearboxes, won't kill the copper and bronze in the gearbox. Finicky things.
Alot of the Reno specific oils you can't get here unless it's a special order from Renault. or elf, even then it can become very difficult to find and expensive very quickly, learnt that the hard way.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers everyone!
Good to know everyones perspectives, ended up going with a Penrite semi synthetic 75w 80 that designed for transaxles, transfer cases and manual gearboxes, won't kill the copper and bronze in the gearbox. Finicky things.
Alot of the Reno specific oils you can't get here unless it's a special order from Renault. or elf, even then it can become very difficult to find and expensive very quickly, learnt that the hard way.
im sure opie oils do worldwide shipping, no idea on cost though! they are about the cheapest about in the UK for oils and the service is fantastic, Elf stockist too!

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
How often do we get the oil changed? Mine was done in December last year and I'll be booking it in for a service again and was wondering to do it yearly or every 2 years. At the absolute minimum I'll be getting it checked/topped up if needed. Every year felt like overkill but then it is a jc5.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Is this the correct Motul stuff?
If so, how much does the gearbox take and is this a decent price?

If your I'm England just get the Elf or better yet Redline no? Oli oils stock both.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
How often do we get the oil changed? Mine was done in December last year and I'll be booking it in for a service again and was wondering to do it yearly or every 2 years. At the absolute minimum I'll be getting it checked/topped up if needed. Every year felt like overkill but then it is a jc5.
My logic is that it's at most £50 and takes 20mins to change so I tend to mine each year.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
how much does the gearbox take
IMG_2081.jpeg

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member

My logic is that it's at most £50 and takes 20mins to change so I tend to mine each year.

For a road car i'd be ok with every 2 years.

With track use I do every year.