ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

16v at 18

hey, i am soon going to be turning 18 and am hoping to change my car. i currently drive a 1996 1.4RT and was thinking about upgrading to a 16v in a couple of months. i recently had a bump to my front bumper, nothing too serious but would cost around £200 to fix. just seems like an ideal time to change. any opinions welcome

Thanks

Justin King

Go for it.

Insurance might be heavy tho.. Im 20 and a 16v would be £1100 TPFT for 10 months..

Quote: Originally posted by boyracer666 on 10 August 2004

still new to the road (sorry to sound patronising) so i would hold back for the moment bud
Id tend to agree.. My 1.2 was fine for me when I was 17 - 20.. then I just wanted more power..

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

I got mine when i was 18. As long as you dont drive like a tw*t youll be fine!

Get one!

Quote: Originally posted by Daz on 10 August 2004

still new to the road (sorry to sound patronising) so i would hold back for the moment bud
Id tend to agree.. My 1.2 was fine for me when I was 17 - 20.. then I just wanted more power..

same here

don't

check ur insurance first, c how much itll b, u dont wana b spending lots on a 16v and then have 2 pay loads 4 insurance and then crash it

i stuck with 1.4s till i was 19, now have 1.8 rsi which is about right 4 me, faster than a vtr and lil slower than a vts

i wouldnt get a 16v unless u have 1-2 years no claims

Quote: Originally posted by Tom16v on 10 August 2004

I got mine when i was 18. As long as you dont drive like a tw*t youll be fine!

Get one!
he did just have an accident tho, not saying he was driving like a tw*t for that to happen but an accident none the less

cheers, that was quick!! the accident wasnt entirely my fault, even the audi admitted he was in the wrong. done 4000 miles since i passed my test so am getting plenty of road experience!! want to start modifying but a lot of people say its not worth it on a small engined car? but yeah, sort of thinking along the same lines, dont want to kill myself so soon!! really want to get one though.

lol! i noticed! i have the money in the bank which is for a new car, but i doubt ill be allowed to use it for alloys etc!

I think 18 is probably a bit early for a 16v.

Difference in insurance between being 19 and 20 is massive..

After having Williams now, I think if I had it a couple of years ago, it would have been a bit mad.. it gets everywhere much quicker.. and corners approach much quicker and with so little experience, I think it might be a bit dangerous.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Mind you mate i was 18 when i got my valver but had driven over 20k. Theyre not super quick but id say at least have a year of driving under your belt first as i did.

Quote: Originally posted by justinRT on 10 August 2004

done 4000 miles since i passed my test so am getting plenty of road experience!!
id suggest more than 4k before u get a valver
yea.. 4k is nothing, heh.

Quote: Originally posted by Daz on 10 August 2004

Go for it.

Insurance might be heavy tho.. Im 20 and a 16v would be £1100 TPFT for 10 months..
Im 18 with a valver and my insurance is 1160 TPFT for 10 months will elephant, how many years no claims have you got Daz as that doesnt seem like a very good quote but bet its with elephant?

Id say if your fairly sensible and you dont still drive like a lunatic, like everyone does with your first car then go for it mate, youll get insured, petrol isnt much worse, tax is slightly different and MOT is the same!

The main difference I noticed from my old rt (which Ive still got I might add) is because you have a lot more power under your foot then you dont tend to abuse it as much as you do in your rt, as they valver can go a lot faster!

However, saying all that, like any car you will ever own, after the first couple of months you get used to the speed and then drive it a lot faster, but bearing that in mind, just try not to go stupid and push your self too hard!

Good luck with your choice fella!

Danny

GazTwo

ClioSport Club Member
  Blue c/w Gold Wheels

Coming from a guy pushing his too the limit on Sunday ;).

You do get better the more u drive but as Danny said hes 18 and I witnessed some sh*t hot driving from him on Sunday!!

Cheers Gaz....well what can I say....youve either got it or you dont!!!lol;)

Sunday was a great drive, wasnt it mate, and got to say your 30 thousand miler was certainly shifting up my ar*e, just a shame you couldnt pass, so I had to let you!!!lol

Danny

Im 22 and still drive a 1.4, i cant justify spending over £600 for insurance right now, not until i finish uni anyway. Rather have the spare cash for other things. If i was paying £1300 (for a valver fully comp 3yrs ncd) i would be flipping skint as!! :oops:

But i never said i didnt ever consider it, hence me getting a quote lol ;)

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member

well i know alot of people wont agree with this but im 18 now and iv got a 2.0 16v clio sport 172.but there is a diffrence with me and other boy racers.im NOT a boy racer.when im 18 and iv got a car like iv got its not worth raceing 1.2 and stuff.so i just laugh and let them wina nd enjoy the car i have.so go for it.

What about doing up your current car gradually converting it into what youre after?

Id say start with your suspension/brakes.

it might make ya feel ya getting somewhere and eventually youll have your ncb, even in a newer chassis/shell.

Im 18 wiht one accident, not my fault, old car was written off, insurence in my mums name is £1500 fully comp, and in my name i was quoted £2500 fully comp, wiht no no claims

justinRT, u seem to be in the same boat as me.

but i have to say i have now covered over 10K in a year. i want a valver but............ i cant justifiy it.

couple months ago i was very close to buying a valver but firstly u gotto look at insurance costs, then running costs and maintiance costs. all of which are alot f**king higher than the RT and even the RSI.

the valver is also a big jump from the RT.

i would personally stick with the RT and gradually mod in stage 1 etc or go for a RSI, and then if u really want a Valver next year and can afford it EASLIY! then do it.

saying that if you KNOW u can afford it now, then go for it, but dont let the extra horses go straight to your head.

LY 200

Quote: Originally posted by kingJimBob on 10 August 2004

but i have to say i have now covered over 10K in a year. i want a valver but............ i cant justifiy it.

couple months ago i was very close to buying a valver but firstly u gotto look at insurance costs, then running costs and maintiance costs. all of which are alot f**king higher than the RT and even the RSI.

i would personally stick with the RT and gradually mod in stage 1 etc or go for a RSI, and then if u really want a Valver next year and can afford it EASLIY! then do it.

saying that if you KNOW u can afford it now, then go for it, but dont let the extra horses go straight to your head.
KingJim I jumped from my 1.2 to the Valver and it was a fookin big jump but then thats what makes it all the better!!

The bigger jump you have the more you feel you have a little supercar!!LOL

I gotta agree tho DO NOT let those extra horses go to the head as i nearly found out the consequences about 3 weeks after ownership of mine...All i can say is i was bloody lucky that day not to have seriously hurt the valver and have certainly learnt my lesson hence the fact i drive it like i did the 1.2 most of the time and only use the power when i know its 100% safe to!!

18s very early to get one tho...Im 19 and would consider myself very lucky to be insured on a Valver!! If you can tho go for it but just be safe!!!

Quote: Originally posted by JayR on 10 August 2004

Quote: Originally posted by kingJimBob on 10 August 2004

KingJim I jumped from my 1.2 to the Valver and it was a fookin big jump but then thats what makes it all the better!!

The bigger jump you have the more you feel you have a little supercar!!LOL

I gotta agree tho DO NOT let those extra horses go to the head as i nearly found out the consequences about 3 weeks after ownership of mine...All i can say is i was bloody lucky that day not to have seriously hurt the valver and have certainly learnt my lesson hence the fact i drive it like i did the 1.2 most of the time and only use the power when i know its 100% safe to!!

18s very early to get one tho...Im 19 and would consider myself very lucky to be insured on a Valver!! If you can tho go for it but just be safe!!!
What he said^^^

When i got the RSi, that was a big jump from the 1.2, but it was after an accident - mot my fault, so i didnt have 100% confidence for hte first few weeks of driving it, whihc helped, as i learnt the car

Im 19, Im on my third car have had 2 accidents 1 my fault and the other wasnt but they were both in my first year of driving. Ive had a R19 1.4RT and a fiesta 1.6Si and now Im on to a valver and am paying just over £1400 under my mum as Im in Uni and need as much money as possible. The only reason I got a valver was because I got compensation from my 2nd accident which wrote my car off and caused me personal injury but Im so glad I did as its a great car. Id say if youve got the money definately get one having the power for when some mailto:tw@t">tw@t in a saxo or nova tries to race you is funny. However Im careful when I drive I dont see the point in being irresponsible it just leads to accidents.

Stay safe

I had a valver at 18. I was paying £1050 TPF&T for 12 months with Adrian Flux. 1 yrs no claims.

Now Im 22, just put the valver back on the road after knackering the engine, and Im paying £590 Fully comp forme and the missus (whos been driving 3 months! now Ive got 2 yrs ncb.

I say go for it!

If thats the car you want then go for it. Just remember with great power comes great respect. I learnt the hard way but not until id been driving for three years! I went from a 1.4rt to a Fiesta Zetec S then to a 172 Cup which i wrote off after 6 months. The Cup made me drive like a maniac, I personally was not ready for that sort of power but I lived to tell the tale and to be honest i am now a much more reserved driver. Just dont get carried away and you will be fine mate.

oooh dont get a valver b4 ur 20 u wont be able to handle it....

A valver is not a supercar, althought id agree thats it not wise as a first car or even in first year of driving. If you can afford it and are willing to be sensible and learn how to handle a car with more power than a 1.2 then do it. If ur gonna drive like a tit then dont.

There are plenty of people with turbocharged beasts let alone a valver that are under 20.

I am also 18 and currently looking for a valver, which is proving to be very hard at the moment. Anyway iv been driving for one year now and commute to work every day which is 40 miles away and feel i have built up enough experience on the road to drive one. plus i had a shot of my girlfriends dads celica gt for a couple of days and handled that with no problem.

At the moment, elephant quote me £700 TPFT for a valver with me the named driver.:)

4,000 is no experience at all.. i would say its a bad move getting a Valver. I personally wouldnt even contemplate TPFT insurance anyway.

Speed is relative, as i keep saying, youll always want something faster and there will always be someone faster than you. These days especially you rarely get an opportunity to go fast on the road anyway, i hardly ever do.

I could of got a 172 but chose a Mini because it was a jump in peformance from the 1.2 but not by too much. Besides, i know when the situation is right i am more of a match for 172s because i spent the money on where its important, driver training.

If i was in your position id make a few mods and change when youre 19. I have, but i made that change after doing over 30k road miles.

-Rob

I do 40 miles to and from my work plus in city driving which comes to almost 100 miles per day. 500 a week. 2000 a month for the last year so thats quite a lot of miles. Having driven through blizzards and iced over d/c up here in scotland with not one crash or incident yet (touch wood) has given me quite a lot of experience in my own opinion.