ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

16v G/Box Question

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Mine sometimes struggles to go in first and can be a little notchy, it never grinds or completly fails to go in gear so i doubt its either my clutch or gearbox, so am guessing it is my gear linkage although other times it can be fine. :confused:

Usually does it when engine is warm (not always abusing it, but also under normal granny driving), any info welcome, thanx, Mikey.

knackered in laymans terms :p

on the Q of gearboxes...i wanted to get 5th gear changed so that it doesnt rev so high on the motorway, and to get better fuel economy out of it on those long trips, it gets a bit annoying having it sit at 4.5k all the way! That might just be me doing 90 tho.....

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Thats what im afraid off. Still hopefully be operationally for a few months. It seems to do it temprementally, should a get a new Reno Clio 16v box if a need 1 then, or willy/megane?

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

It seems to be getting worse, doesnt like goin back in first after a hammering. :( Absoulutly fine untill u give it some; then itll jus be stiff as f*ck! Any help?

How much do Reno charge for fitting a new (gaureenteed box)? Cheers.

not sure what renault charge, i had a rover once and they quoted £1750, i ended up getting mine rebuilt for £700

clio 20v

4th an 5th are too long in a willy box for a valver

id get urs rebuilt mehdi was telling me about a place that does em ask him nxt time you see him think it was around 500 quid, might as well stick a new clutch in while its out as well

adi

edit- i wouldnt want to kno wot reno wud charge but itll be silly money

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

The theory that it has too much power for 1st & 2nd could well be true as since re-fitting my original air box it has givin MUCH more torque in those 2 gears & it has been since then that the gearbox has REALLY started to p*ss me off.

Quote: Originally posted by Mikey16vClio on 07 May 2003

It seems to be getting worse, doesnt like goin back in first after a hammering. :( Absoulutly fine untill u give it some; then itll jus be stiff as f*ck! Any help?
LMAO..........what do you expect...........its not a racing gearbox......Renualt built it with normal driving usage in mind........& giving it a hammering.......aint normal usage!!!!

you should beable to pick up a secondhand g/box for about £150

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Ha, im sorry but its the only car ive drove which has ever done it plus why would u need a racing gearbox if u wanna drive a standard car to its limit. Thats like saying the engine isnt made to be taken up to 6k revs after some1 blows theirs up! :eek:

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

OK, I have a mates theory;

Could it be the clutch thrust bearing due to it only happening when ragging it and putting the clutch on and off a lot (say in traffic) plus it always selects gear after a stiff movement and crunches in reverse after a ragg or a long journey?

ANY THOUGHTS? THANX.

If it only does it when warm then i would say clutch problem. Press the clutch got to neutral relase clutch press it again and see if it goes in easier. If so clutch is tired and over working the synchros.

Also get yourself to renault and get the box linkage bushes, 3 quid, 1 metal tube like one and a plastic one.

Also unless you running 500bhp with torque to match then the engines not to powerful.

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Can u explain the box linkage bushes mate? Fitting and reason for, etc. Thanx for the info.

Yeah ill get a new clutch anyway if i have to pay for the labour to check the thrust bearing aswell. The clutch has never slipped though! :confused:

Linkage bushes, righty the remote rod (thats rthe black steel rod that goes from the gear lever to the box selector arm).

At the box ends theres a bush, its a metal cylinder thing, about 1cm long, it has a knurled finish on the outside. This slips through the silver arm from the box anbd through the remote rod. Over this and the remote rod goes the plastic bit of the bush.

This bush wears as its always beign rubbed against, it doesnt spin so it only wears in the area where its loaded. 0.5mm of wear may not mean a lot, but at the lever this magnifioed a million times and makes slection tricky etc.

Anyway, get under the car, if you have the plastic guard take it off, then cut the cable tie around the rubber gaieter, if its not been touched be prepared for water to squirt out at you. Grab the tag and lift it over the bolt. Then 2 13mm spanners to loosen the nut and bolt. Pop the bolt out.

Now you can replace the bushges. Use some new grease on them. Pull the gaiter back over (I hate that bit, especially if its covered in grease) and use a new cable tie or something, or dont bother at all, whatever suits.

A new clutch means a new relase bearing etc, if it doesnt then go somewhere where they dont wear hats and carry guns and talk like John Wayne.

Also a clutch doesnt need to slip etc. If its tricky to get into gear its probably sticking, when it gets hot the clutch isnt releasing fully or the plates warped.

You have chanegd the cable havent you?

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Why would the cable make a difference if it always works fine when first started and when taken easy?

So ill buy these box linkage bushes from Reno; get them fitted, then the gear selection should be easy even after a ragging?

The key to the problem is the fact that it is always fine when started from cold and the problem gets worse when i give it some. So u think this would be the linkage bushes? Would this require new gearbox oil? Cheers.

how about you spend some real money & have a BB turbo conversion instead of thinking of the R5 GTT (yesterdaysnews) lump !! ;)

actually.....this clio i have now reminds me of my old R5 GTT.......(things keep going wrong) ....only difference on the clio is : better handling,better looks,better top end, better bulid quality...etc.

(still miss me ole R5 GTT raider though !!...god i loved that car, even though it gave me so much trouble)

Quote: Originally posted by Chris_H on 11 May 2003

If it only does it when warm then i would say clutch problem. Press the clutch got to neutral relase clutch press it again and see if it goes in easier. If so clutch is tired and over working the synchros.

Also get yourself to renault and get the box linkage bushes, 3 quid, 1 metal tube like one and a plastic one.

Also unless you running 500bhp with torque to match then the engines not to powerful.
just about to say try double de-clutching, but then realised you did haha!

lmao! mikey, the place Adi was telling you about is called lancashire transmission, they quoted me under £500 to fit a fully re-con gearbox to my car, exchanging my old one, its all guarenteed and that, and he said he could do it in a day, he was recomended by the guy who does all my servicing, they were VERY helpful on the phone and really knew what he was talking about, this is the guy who told me after M reg the velver boxs were different and a bit sh*tter to earlier ones(if you remeber me talking to you about it?).

anyway give them a call, my willy gearbox is on its way out also so maybe we can get a discount? although not sure how much of a rush your in cos i reckon mine will be fine til end of summer easy, its starting to play up like my old one did and that gave up about 8k miles later. these bleedin choclate gearboxs!

no the linkage will be free at all times but the bushes always wear, I have yet to work on one when the bushes are not worn. New bushes means much better change at all times and if theres anothe rproblem like the clutch on your car another prob with the linkage is not going to make fighting with it any easier.

I am assuming you have a F type 16V? If so the clutch cable run along the bulkhead right behind the exhaust manifold, when the cable gets hot it gets sticky, might even start making a horrible groan.

If thats not the problem then the clutch plates probably warping when hot causing drag.

Indeed Ben, thing is when you say just double de-clutch most people have a dopey look on their face and retort with, "eh?":)

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

eh? ;)

Ok, first of all i need a reliable car which is why im not gettin a 5 Kenny, plus i cant think of a better car than a Clio 16v which i can afford to buy insure at the mo.

Second of all i aint loaded and dont know what im doin with my life yet (uni or not) so although the BB Turbo conversion lights my candle i jus cant afford it.

Thirdly this problem is getting worse everytime i drive it Mehdi so i doubt itll last much longer, hopefully just enough time for my credit card to come through,:cry: but from what Chris is saying it may only be my clutch.

So ill buy the box linkage bushes and take it to a garage and say fix it.

Chris; my clutch has done 74k so its about the norm to need a new 1 around now, so is it warped due to it coming to the end of its life? Ill have to get a new clutch if the engine has to come out anyway.

So dont u think its the thrust bearing?

about the norm after 74k. Hmm, anything less than 120k and I wouldnt be very happy. I swapped the clutch on my energy at 145k cos I though it would need it by now, well that was a waste of 30 quid. Hardly worn.

As for weak boxes I have 2 that have done about 150 k each, ones in bits in my room cos of a dodgy 1st gear synchro, the other one is still doing 3rd gear wheel spins daily.

Yes get the bushes. Clutch comes with a new thrust bearing if thats what you want to call it, the box needs to come out to stick it in anyway.

The clutch plate will be warping when it gets hot. Thus staying in contact with the flywheel. Could be due to wear, most likely abuse by sitting at the lights holdign it on the clutch instead of the brakes.

clio 20v

Quote: Originally posted by clean16v on 13 May 2003

lmao! mikey, the place Adi was telling you about is called lancashire transmission, they quoted me under £500 to fit a fully re-con gearbox to my car, exchanging my old one, its all guarenteed and that, and he said he could do it in a day, he was recomended by the guy who does all my servicing, they were VERY helpful on the phone and really knew what he was talking about, this is the guy who told me after M reg the velver boxs were different and a bit sh*tter to earlier ones(if you remeber me talking to you about it?).

anyway give them a call, my willy gearbox is on its way out also so maybe we can get a discount? although not sure how much of a rush your in cos i reckon mine will be fine til end of summer easy, its starting to play up like my old one did and that gave up about 8k miles later. these bleedin choclate gearboxs!
fuk me mate there was f**k all up with that box when i had it wtf are you doing to em

the one in mine is original box on about 140k and is fine most of the time with a 2l engine, sometimes jumps out of second and is stiff when hot so i dont think itll put up with my abuse much longer

the gearboxes really are sh*t, 106s and saxos seem to be same, worse even if u like to hammer it, mates 106gti box lasted 40k

adi

Fitting what in a nutshell? The clutch or the bushes? I told you about the bushes, or maybe that was another thread.

Adi why are the boxes sh*t? Tell me that? I have to say I dont know why you lot are arsing them up apart from you must be sh*t drivers.

The same box is used in the diesels and GTTs, ratios may be different but the only diff between a 300bhp 5GTT and a 1.2 clio box is the ratios, the crownwheels, bearings, thrust washers, synchros, selectors, synchro hubs and casings are all the same. Well the bellhousing on the ally sumpers are different but thats all.

Also lotus use the longitudal transaxle, again same bearings and so on and it propels 400bhp lotus esprits along quite happily. They use the 25s box.

The biggest problem on the boxes is lack of oil changing and muppets resting their arm on the lever.

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Well my inner drive shaft gator did leak gear oil b4 i got it fixed.

I thought the gearboxs are alright b4 every1 posted their problems. So ill get it checked and will buy the bushes to be sure; last thing i want is to pay 300 notes for a new clutch to be fitted and still have the same problem.

Can a mechanic tell when ur g/box is knackered?

Jus wanna know what this guy will tell me when i explain this problem and how much debt im likly to get myself into.