ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

16v gearbox

182 cup
92k miles its done and all was well when i bought it

anyway just driving home today i hear this noise almost like a screetching whnning noise from the passenger side front

i was doing 100mph when it happened and as i slowed the noise stayed but got quieter

i pulled over and couldnt see anything wrong.

carried on but when (in any gear) i went above 4-5k rpm the noise came back

assuming straight away it had to be gearbox! i went straight to local garage!

the guy sat in the car so i could take him up road and show him!
bloody thing didnt do anything at all no noises!

the garage guy thought i was having a laugh.

anyway been out "thrashing it around for 10 mins to see if the noise would come back but still nothing?

although that maybe a good thing is it just a time bomb waiting to go off

gearbox is smooth no crunching or anthing????

anyone got any ideas?

best way i could describe the noise is that of when the cooling fan comes on (valver owners will know what i mean) but literally 10 times louder

any help appreciated cause i'm meant to be doing a 500 mile round trip in here tomorrow night! :(

matt

Williams 2, STi N12
Could be anything mate, wheel bearings are fairly common to go. Next time you hear the nosie just gently swerve side to side and see if the noise changes pitch or gets worse if one direction. Easy and cheap to fix.

If the gearbox bearings are going then the noise will only be evident - at first anyway, when the shafts are under high load i.e. bending and putting stres on the bearing races. This is under hard acceleration and lift off deceleration. Normally this sounds like a real grinding noise not a whininng noise.

Other than that check your CV boots for any splitting, could be lack of grease in there causing damage. Or a simple stone caught in brake calipers.

Best way is to keep going until you can really tell whats wrong!!

182 cup
thanks mate
i,ve checked wheel bearings and its not them

forgot to mention when i put the clutch in when the noise came at 100mph
the noise went when the revs dropped which leads me to think gearbox related????

well i've done over 100miles and the noise has not returned?

is it safe to say the box is ok?

i leave for my 500 mile round trip in 2 hours!

any replys befor then appreciated

Williams 2, STi N12
Ah crap soz mate...you'll be on yer way by now then. Hope everything is OK.

Another way to check dodgy gearbox bearings is to drop the oil from it. The sump plug on the gearbox is magnetic and will have the tiny swarf bits attached to it if the bearing races are wearing away.

Sure you need to re-fill it after wards but spending £15 notes yourself to check is far cheaper than getting a garage to do it.

1.2 16v
I think i had the same with my 1.2 everytime the revs got up before i went to change gear it sounded like loud whining noise. Never found out what the problem was took it into the garage for a service and it came out fine.

182 cup
cheers boys

well just to update on this

i did my 500 mile trip and all was ok?

the noise did happen once again went i was about 300 mile into the trip

but i was driving like a looney showing my girlfriend i could beat a saxo vts!

anyway the noise is more like a deflating balloon noise(without the rasssp part) just the squeek !

when i slowed down the noise went away

it seems to happen at high revs when you really nail the car and shift quickly!

its very odd especially since i've try'd since to make it do it again and cant do it

surely this cant be the box can it? the gears feel great and smooth

any others thoughts anyone?

thanks