ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

16v Smoothly does it : (

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Does it p*ss u off when trying to take it easy changing at 2.5 grand when your car jolts and bounces unless u give your gear change more attention than any other car demands and spend a second matching revs? :cry:

Even my 1995 Clio 16v brochure makes some sort of mention of the Valver demanding the drivers attention to extract its full potential. Its not a car for the lazy driver is it!?

clio williams, Ph1 172

No. My bird had a go in mine and couldnt drive it hehe. My left leg is certainly more muscley too. damn the clutch is heavy in traffic hehe.

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Yeah the phase 2 clucth is a LOT heavier than the phase 1 but you get used to that so that doesnt really bother me. Even car reviews mention this cars tendency to bounce on the bite & when putting foot down at low speed if you dont use your feet gently. :p

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

:oops:

Does it not bother you BenR or is yours just not as edgy when chillin?

Obviously i can drive it slowly and avoid jerking but it requires more effort than any other car ive driven.

clio 20v

yeh i found the valver a bit of a nitemare in traffic but you get used to it

only other car ive driven which is worse is a 205gti which im sure had kangaroo juice u jus bounced down the road mainly

adi

Quote: Originally posted by adiclio16v on 24 March 2003

yeh i found the valver a bit of a nitemare in traffic but you get used to it

only other car ive driven which is worse is a 205gti which im sure had kangaroo juice u jus bounced down the road mainly

adi
Must have been a baddun...

Having said that the springs in the Bosh Air Metres did have a tendancy to loosen later in life, but that usually resulted in lumpy idles!

Oh how I miss my little 205 :cry:

Clio 172 Cup, Eunos

Hehe worst when youre in traffic doing 5 mph in 1st then change to 2nd whilst going up hill...only time seat belt gets its full usage..hehe

Toureg vW Transporte

yep in big traffic jams my leg starts to shake.... could be down to my chicken legs though...lol;)

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Quote: Originally posted by K3NNY on 24 March 2003

You should be drivin it how your supposed to then mikey you woman ;)
Said like a true hero. :D

Well im not on my 2nd head gasket in 2 weeks and dont catch a bus to work! ;)

Ive even started double de-clutching to try and make it a bit smoother, but im not that great at it - in my mums golf i can change up and down without using the clutch now, but i still get jerked about in the clio.

More challenging - i guess thats how i like it. I have to concentrate on the steering as well now.

Quote: Originally posted by Mikey16vClio on 24 March 2003

:oops:

Does it not bother you BenR or is yours just not as edgy when chillin?

Obviously i can drive it slowly and avoid jerking but it requires more effort than any other car ive driven.

Nah, just no probs with any jerks or anythiing.....sweet as a nut, no probs.

But comapred to rd and race cars i use, the clutch is nice and smooth. Could just be my immense clutch contol....lol ;)

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Not really cause ud have problems when using ur Valver after driving a 172 or XR2. Unless u change gear and engage clutch slower than my great great great grannys mum. ;)

Yours is a phase 1 16v i bet with the lighter clutch. Ive driven a phase 1 & it is a smoother gear change to my Mk2, because they put a hevier performance clutch in the phase 2s i think?

lol.....

probs after the 172 and xr2! lol

you should come try the beast GT1 where Mr T is always present to press the clutch for you.....now thats a heavy clutch!

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Was i right about it being phase 1?

Pain for driving in traffic though the p2 clutch! Its only when it engages cause of the weight making it thrust into flywheel i think. I drove my old Golf the other day & i really like how easy they change gear. :cool: Even if you do get over-taken by buses. :cry:

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

No im used to the stiffer clutch pedal but thatll be why you dont have the problem. Its not a case of the pedal being to heavy to control when lifting off. Its that if you dont spend a second matching revs when changing up early then itll jolt into next gear. Hence it p*ssing me off! :mad:

Not really a car for a granny driving style i admit, but i like chillin sometimes. :cool:

what, you mean the car jerks as you let off the clutch?

do the revs drop too fast or too slow?

is the clutch snappy at all from a standstill?

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Not from standstill cause you leave it on the clutch for a few split seconds dont you to ease away, but if you let the pedal out quickly then it is snappy, yes.

Car jerks as you let off clutch when changing up a gear at around 2.5 to 3grand if you dont match revs for the gear your entering.

Comprende?

but you shouldnt need to conciencisouly match rev on an upshift. the revs will drop and the gear slots in, nice and easy.

guess you have to be there.

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Not in a 16v changing before 3k, you have to up idle revs or let the revs pick up by putting the clutch down very slowly on entering the higher gear.

If you cant understand my explanation ull have to drive a phase 2 to catch my drift. ;)

Its not a big problem, just annoying sometimes. :cry:

You wanna try drivin my GTT in a jam group N paddle clutchs rule gotta admit mikey you were the first to not stall it exept me ov course ;)

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Hey, no one whos drove that R5 has NOT stalled at least once.

I got the hang of it very quick and i wasnt shy with it either was i Kenny? ;)

Didnt know they were not surpose to go over 7 grand! :devilish::D Loved it though!

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

It is if you run a sensible psi, but Kenny aint sensible. ;)

To be honest hes NEVER beat me to 60 but as soon as i put mine in 3rd hes off like ur in a 1.2 8v!

He always avoids off the mark races with me, you see i think hed rather kill his granny than be beat by one of his mates. :devilish:

Its currently having its 2nd head gasket in as many weeks due to an estimated 25psi 5min run in the multi story in Stockport (if uve heard of it). Put it this way; after i drove it i wanted one!

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

lol

Well he gets bailed out by his family anyway, so no incentive there. Maybe hell decide to grow up though one day. :D

Hearing this Kenny?

Yup should get it back either today or definetely tomoro and whats all this never beat you to sixty business matey i yo only beat me once in the multi storey when my car woulndt go in 2nd. i admit they were close races but ya never beat me. Mikey found out the gasket only went cos the previous garge didnt torque it down enough numptys. Rusty the god of all modifiers will have it runnin mint :)

cant you go your own gasket changes by now!

I can do my race XR2 in 15 mins flat from runing-off-on-runing.......admittedly i do get hurt in teh process! lol

save yourself some money, and it should be very easy, its apushrod engie after all, no cam to mess about with!

Any pics of it then?