ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

16v Steering Rack

Ok car was at Demon Tweeks yesterday and was told I have 'excessive play in the steering rack'

After a bit of searching on here it seems to be a pretty big job and fairly expensive part!

How hard is it to fit, and where is the best place to buy a new one. A quick look on GSF came back with £193odd!

Also, a lot of people seemed to have their's welded. What parts do you actually weld, and how good a job will it achieve.

To be honest, I'd rather do it properly but it's a big price difference and if welding it will make it almost perfect then I might have to think about it....

Thanks for any info you guys have! :eek:

Tom

Clio 182
Hiya dude, any local welder will do it. I got mine done for a fiver, obviously its not as good as a new rack, but its a hell of a lot cheaper. Mine was done around 6 months back and still feels nice and tight (ooo-eer)

Ok, so the problem is the column then actually....

How do I actually check that it is this part that's knackered?

Also, if I do get it welded, I take it it's not visible come MOT time?

Clio 190bhp Hybrid
My weld was visible come MOT time as it had broken and drew attention because of the play. Ended up fitting a new one.

Depends on the quality of welder. With SC on car you cannot really get to it all to weld easily like you can off the car.

Was gonna get my old one welded up properly at a local place that does propshafts for £25. Got new one in the end. Not a nice job taking old one out and fitting new one which I guess is why most get welded in situ.

Old SC free to anyone who wants one to get welded up.

Where can I get a new steering column then? & how much?

I couldn't see one on the GSF website.....

How big a job is it to fit a new steering column?

Thanks for all the help people, keep it coming lol!

Tom

S2000
TBH mate it seems as though most people have no problems once it's welded. As for MOT time it's not visible - unless they pull the rubber boot up which they won't do unless there is play in the steering. Even if you need to get it re-welded after a year (which you shouldn't have to) it would still be cheaper than a new column.

If you want to check it then follow the column which comes down from the steering wheel, then you will see a rubber boot. If you pull back the boot you will see the bit mentioned on williamsclio that is the problem. If you hold the lower part and try to turn the steering wheel there should be no movement of the wheel without movement of the lower part of the SC - if there is the SC is the problem.

Clio 190bhp Hybrid
All depends on who welds it. My weld broke after 3 months so 30 quid wasted. New column I got knocked done to £140 at Renault. List was £170.

Removal and fitting is awkward to say the least. Ratchet spanner was a godsend.

If you know someone who is good at welding take it to them. If unlucky like me you waste your money on welding. As MOT inspector saw it due to investigating the play, I had no option but to replace. He also reckond rack was at fault on his list but simple replacement of column sorted out everything.

If you don't want to pay Renault price for new one have my old one for free if you want and get welded up properly off the car.

Only problem I noticed with the old one however is that welding it up seemed to cause steering wheel to foul shroud underneath so make nasty screeching noise everytime you turned. Haynes manual states that teh distance between 2 parts of teh colum should be a certain length and if it is not, replace. Perhaps mine did need replacing after all...

1.8 Civic EX
Dan_mk1 said:
Hiya dude, any local welder will do it. I got mine done for a fiver, obviously its not as good as a new rack, but its a hell of a lot cheaper. Mine was done around 6 months back and still feels nice and tight (ooo-eer)

where and who did that as mine needs doing too!