ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

16valver or 172

Now I know all of you guys are gonna say 172, and so would I.

But, here why I want to know which u tink;

I want to get the missus a new car after xmas. She currently got an old man of an Accord 2.0 exec (r reg).

Basically the accord is not a bad car, and she likes all the extras (cruise air con all that stuff) but wants something a little sporty now.

My brothers got a 172 and its a nice little motor and I would opt for that, but, im not so sure which would be better for her as the 16valvers are a bit cheaper and easier to get hold of.

So here it is, what is the performance of a 16v and whats the spec compared to something like a 172 (extras wise). Also mpg and insurance cause thats another thing, she said she thinks the insurance on a 172 would be too much, so are they a lot more?

If someone could post up some bits on the differences I would be greatful cheers.

Steve

I was going to get a 172, ut i had always wanted a 16v from when i was younger... extras wise she will feel alot more at home in a 172, but performance wise there wasnt much init for me.... certainly pound for pound the 16v won hands down, everyone on here with a 172 will say its alot better but it depends what your after IMHO.

My 16v returns a piss poor MPG but thats down to how its driven, and i would doubt there is much init between the 2, depending on your driving style.

beware of the high running costs of the valver aswell, can be a bit of a nightmare... older higher milage examples are not aleways a bad thing cos they have had all the bits break and be replaced.

again, in my opinion the 172 doesnt look that great for what it is, the 16v stands out alot more next to a stanard mk1 clio thana 172 does next to a standard mk2.... and most people like there car to be noticed. All depends if you want to shell out for a 172 really if your talking new then you have the peice of mind mechanically and warranty wise - nobodys wants there missus driving around in anything thta could leave them stranded.

Thx for your reply mate,

I cant afford a new one so either way it would have to be second hand, so the diff really is the whole cost thing.

Reason I was asking really is I have never even sat in a 16v let alone know at all what its like.

The cheapest 172s ive seen are about 6.5k

How much for a late mind 16v?

Get what ypu pay for I guess, mines a 96 last off the line, bought if fully serviced and overmaintained from the bloke who ran the renault import place, had about 50k on it and payed £3800, but they are normally alot cheaper than that, and it really depends what state its in, look on autotrader.

theres going to be loads of 172 owners saying buy a 172, its all down to personal hoice i guess, i could of easilt got a 172 but wanted to stick to the original realistic dream car for me...

neither are a 300zx performance wise, but they will both give any other hot hatch something to cry about, and theres definetly good ones and bad ones with both cars.... its harder to find a standard 16v now i guess, and if you do it will command a higher price( mine WAS standard!!)

Probably around £3000 for a mint, late N Reg 16v

Insurance difference between the 16v and the 172 is about 4 groups, which in real terms could be anywhere from £200 to £1000 more I guess!

For me (21, 1 yr NCB) it would be about £400 more to drive a 172 than a valver

Remapped derv Golf

Like everyone says it depends on what you want. I not to keen on the valvers interior but some people might love it. Just think it look really out of date compared to the 172s.

Have you thought about the 106 GTI or a VTS?

Get a mint williams for 4 - 5k and spend the extra on the insurance. You wont be dissapointed. If not id go for a valver, only because i think they look so nice. Dont get me wrong, 172 is a very nice car, but i just think it lacks the aggressive looks of the older clios. However, for a girl i think shed prefere the refinement of the 172.

I have to agree with King on this!! My Missus has a MGTF and she loves the look of my Old banger i mean valver but she hates driving it cause the clutch is too heavy for her so is the steering and she hates being a passenger in it, too noisey/rattly for her!! She says its like a go-Kart with a shell!!

Saying that Bubbles has got a valver and is on her 2nd one IIRC and she loves em!!

I could of bought a 172 but prefer the more aggressive look and drive of the valver!!

get a good valver or willy with no problems and none looming and it will actually be cheaper than you think to run. They are amazingly only group 12 (anybody else find this lower than expected, considering a golf gti16v is 15, and is actually slower) and I find if i am just trundling about it is actually fairly good on fuel, although rag them and they go through quite a bit. Besides I they are getting rarer, wheras 172 are getting commoner, but it is all horses for courses, and I aint driven a 172 (any offers) so cant say for sure

the clutch thing could put her off if shes little ( and weak!) i know my gf doesnt like it in mine, but then you do get used to it in no time.

its rated at grp12 as alex said but that doesnt seem to mean much, my insurance company rate it at grp15 but were cheaper than others who say its a twelve....

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC

I had this debate with myself - I always wanted a Willy 1 after spending so much time earning money when I was younger cleaning my Uncles!

Couldnt afford or insure a Willy at the time so I bough the valver - Looks wise the only new Clio I like is the Cup - maybe its the colour or the alloys because I know theyre all the same really!

If they made Naples red valvers today with the performance of a cup straight out of the shop... would there be any arguments?!

Oh and a valver/willy interior is prettier than the new uns.... (Runs..) ;)

A nice silver 16v or a Mark 1 172??!!

Hard choice, personally Id go for the best condition car I could find for the money I had to spend.

But you get the newness and extras with the 172 so that would sway me....let her drive both and look at as many as you can, to compare, so you know what a good one and a bad one look like.

172 not a lot of fun to drive compared to valver.

Also looks pants and like so many other cars that are out there.

The Jinx

Its the "creature comforts" on my dCi that are making me look towards older cars, particularly the Valver. Too much useless crap that doesnt work very well (auto lights and wipers in particular)

valver is cheaper to insure than 172. 172 is faster than valver in standard form. 172 has more luxuries and more modern (not to everyones taste). There is quite abit of difference in car price. You will get a good valver cheap and an awefull 172 cheap. 6.5K for a 172 most probally means it is high mileage or has quite a few of the 172 faults. personally I would only consider buying a 172 either new or with less than 10K on the clock because you are investing more money cos its a newer car. A cheap 172 doesnt necessarily mean a good buy. Valvers should have their faults sorted because they are older and issues should have been dealt with. They are a cheaper and older car. They are completely different mate in the fact that ones a new car and the other ones an old car. Just comes down to what age of car you want. (recommend if you get a 172 to get one witha warrenty from a trader)

Ford F-150 5.4 V8

I had a choice of a willy or a 172! To be honest it came down to the fact that with the 172 when i get in it i (should be able to) Just turn the key know its gona start etc! Takin nothin away from the valver or willy as i love em but my opinion was that i wanted a car i didnt have to fix!! I know not all older cars need fixin and im havin probs with my brand new 1 but the older car will need replacing sooner if that makes sense?

A good standard 16V wont be embarassed by a 172. You know those kind of races you may have had where the other car isnt quite as fast, but youll never lose it - well thats how a Valver will be to a 172 (incidentally, thats about the difference there is between a Valver and a Willy).

A year ago Id have recommended a mint 16V, but now the early 172s are getting well into the £6000 arena.

Mind you, there are some mint Valvers around for about £2k too.

Depends how much you want to spend!

My heart would say Valver though.

Well from my point of view, youll be very happy with either, with a good example of a valver youll still have to keep money aside for any problems which will arise, but then now 172s are aging they too will need bits and pieces soon too.

Ive got an 18 month old 172 and a williams and, well, theyre both stonkin cars, and from the valvers Ive driven theyre damn good to - with the valver/williams youre more connected to the driving experience where as you do feel a little disconnected in the 172, but it makes up for it somehow.

Ive had a Williams and 2 172s. When I had the Williams, I missed my 1st 172, now Ive got a 172 again, I miss the Williams.

Ive had my valver since febuary and my sister got a 172 shortly after. If youd asked me a few months ago, id have swapped her for the 172 any day as just about everything was going wrong with my car. However, you have to remember that the 16v/willys are about 11 years old so theres going to be issues - if you want guaranteed (!) relaibility go with the 172.

Today my valver has had a lot of work done on it and TBH, theres no contest. OK, the 172 may be more refined, newer etc but the valver feels better and is more rewarding. I also like the looks it gets - everyone knows what it is and it gets respect - the 172 just doesnt get the same response from passers by.....

CTR EK9 turbo

I found my old mk.1 172 got lots of looks from all sorts of people, especially when it was clean. I really liked the looks of it. Everyone that came for a ride in it said ooh nice car as soon as they stepped inside. Be it from the leather/alcantara seats to the air/con to the performance-something i was never dissapointed with (or let down by). It toasted every car i expected it to, and many i didnt expect it to. Fantastic car. Sold mine for just under 7.5k. :(

I have just sold my Williams2 (hopefully to mr RajK) to buy a 172 mk2. Hope I dont regret it.. watch this space for my honest opinion!!

My only reason for this change is purely down to the 172 being a newer more modern car, I absolutely love the williams it is suerb to drive and I feel that fuel economy is fantastic (is this because I used to get 30 miles to a tenner in my integrale?? :-( Ouch!!)

Its seems that 16vs are more of a mans car so get her a 172 ;)

seriously, just get her to test drive them both and let her make the decision. Then she cant really start moaning cos she made the decision.

Yeah 16valves are more of a mans car so get her a car with an extra 35bhp or so;)

Just kiddin, I think the answer that you are going to get depends on what car the person who is advising has actually got..

If it doesnt have to be a renault, a 306GTi6 is a good bet for the money.. used to have one and it was feckin smart!

I had a valver for 4 years and the 172 for three now. As said the valver is definitely more hard core and suits a driver that way inclined, more involving to drive but a lot more effort. The 172 is more fun and effortless.

Dont want this to come out the wrong way but for every female I know I would choose the 172.