ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

17 with a 172

EK4 SIR CIVIC 185 BHP
hi, you all probably clicked on this thread because i am 17 turning 18 this month with a 2 litre 172. but all i want to know is why when i set off in first gear i get a rumble underneath the car like i am driving on gravel, but once i reach gear 2 it is fine. when i set off slowly it is fine, is it me semi skidding or? dont laugh please just need advice lol. also the milage is 110k how long will this last me with your opinions, im 17 and always thought id have places to go blah blah blah but most of the day i dont drive anywhere =p thanks

i have a feeling some people will start cussing me for having this car at this age but i want to say that i am a safe driver and in london you hardly get the chance to hit 40+ because you will be in traffic with loads of speed cameras anyway, half the time i am in gear 2 then have to stop, lucky if gear 3

liquid yellow 182
Lol why did you name the thread 17 with a 172 when all you wanted to ask was a mechanical question!?

Answer to your question - I dont have a scoob.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
what reg is the car ph1 or ph2?

if your launching it it could be lack of traction?> have you checked your tyres

EK4 SIR CIVIC 185 BHP
hey thanks for quick reply, its made in year 2000 and W reg, the tyres are fine but the noise sounds like a tyre has burst or something lol forgot to mention that when the car is in neutral it shakes alot too, the shaking carries onthrough gear 1 then stops at gear 2 maybe cause of the power but i know hardly anything about this car to be honest i just know its a fast b!tch

Last edited:
  AMV8, Mk1 Golf
deff doesnt sound right,
think you need to have a look at it.

do some research into common faults etc.
and why is the thread named 17 with a 172?????

EK4 SIR CIVIC 185 BHP
o i named it that cause i saw someone saying his mate was going to buy 1 and they were all saying he is going to die etc lol

can you feel a vibrating through the clutch? if so it's mount related.

I'm guessing you give this car some stick, as you must be launching fairly hard to make the car do that... so yeah, you will prolly die in this car, so send on my best regards to your family! ;) lol

EK4 SIR CIVIC 185 BHP
it basicly when i cruise off in gear 1 with my foot down, it feels like imkinda flyin over gravel then it stops

you will have to be more specific mate, is it felt through the seat (ie yer arse) or through your feet etc etc? is it like ABS sensation through the clutch but without the pedal movement? I still think it's mount related, as 172's are notorious for the mounts failing and vibration and rattling from 1st if you set off with any revs lol

Get daddy to take it to a garage.

Couldn't resist sorry ;)

Car sounds fucked by the sounds of it :( - get the mounts checked.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
foot to the floor? youll kill the car and yourself lol

shaking in the gear stick? gear box???

whats the milage?

EK4 SIR CIVIC 185 BHP
you will have to be more specific mate, is it felt through the seat (ie yer arse) or through your feet etc etc? is it like ABS sensation through the clutch but without the pedal movement? I still think it's mount related, as 172's are notorious for the mounts failing and vibration and rattling from 1st if you set off with any revs lol

its hard to explain, youd have to sit in the car with me to hear it but i doubt ud wanna =p nah truthfuly i drive slow and i hate the noise so i drive slow to avoid it lol thanks for ur info and how do u fix that mount thing?

Mk1 MX-5 next summer
tbf someone else was saying on here yesterday they couldnt stop wheel spinning at lights etc ( they were new to 172 etc) maybe its just normal wheel spin as you havnt got used to controlling the power

EK4 SIR CIVIC 185 BHP
its 110k milage and yes it shakes in the gear box even in neautral and also it just passed MOT less then a month ago

tbf someone else was saying on here yesterday they couldnt stop wheel spinning at lights etc ( they were new to 172 etc) maybe its just normal wheel spin as you havnt got used to controlling the power

I think you could be right you know.

I remember going from a 1.4 where you planted the throttle to go anywhere to the 172 where you needed to be more controlled lol.

EK4 SIR CIVIC 185 BHP

again, could be that reason too because my i asked my olderbrother do you feel safe in the car then? he said why u think i got seat belt on, you cant control the power, but i think i can, i drive so slow never 50

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
wow 112k id probably expect quite a few problems starting to creep up around that milage, going to cost a fair whak to maintain hope daddys got deep pockets

EK4 SIR CIVIC 185 BHP
wow 112k id probably expect quite a few problems starting to creep up around that milage, going to cost a fair whak to maintain hope daddys got deep pockets

daddy and munnie paid fck all for the car, i paid it all but yes it will and im on third party im not gonna fix the car

yeah but if he's setting of slowly it wont be that, hard launches you get either wheel spin and it's off, or you get the sound of your drive shafts being eaten alive before it fooks off. I'd bet it's a dog bone mount if it's only in first gear. Maybe a trip to one of the tuners or local Reno to find out for sure, get one of the techs in the car and recreate the problem, then let them drive it to see what it is. Most car faults you can diagnose without having looked in the engine bay if you have enough experience, I could do this with the Williams after countless parts failures, so a tech should spot it straight away I'd have thought.

If it's a mount just get an uprated one from Hillpower, Ktec or whoever else does them, as for fitting I've no idea, I'm still getting used to the 17poo engine! lol

EK4 SIR CIVIC 185 BHP
yeah but if he's setting of slowly it wont be that, hard launches you get either wheel spin and it's off, or you get the sound of your drive shafts being eaten alive before it fooks off. I'd bet it's a dog bone mount if it's only in first gear. Maybe a trip to one of the tuners or local Reno to find out for sure, get one of the techs in the car and recreate the problem, then let them drive it to see what it is. Most car faults you can diagnose without having looked in the engine bay if you have enough experience, I could do this with the Williams after countless parts failures, so a tech should spot it straight away I'd have thought.

If it's a mount just get an uprated one from Hillpower, Ktec or whoever else does them, as for fitting I've no idea, I'm still getting used to the 17poo engine! lol
thanks alot mate ill read more of this thread later when i get home, hopefully i dont get no stupid replies lol

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
lol o and i dont trust jon with one n hes 25 lol, but i guess his is abit special... i figured out what was wrong with it lol.. it was missing mine :(
bless

back on topic

Mk1 MX-5 next summer
its not always ure speed its controlling the clutch and ure foot on the A pedal.

I am used to driving a 1,2 with alloys so its hard to wheels spin at the best of times lol and with my foot down to the floor is normal lol.

I had a go in my mates 2.0 TDI golf and it took me a few tries to stop jerking forward due to my heavy Acc foot. It will take u a while but that may be the reason

for the most part I agree, a 17 year old in a 172 is a crazy idea, but to be fair the threads about his car related problems, not how many paper rounds he has to pay for it ;)
I trust Laura in her's and she's 19 (okay, almost 20, but still not been driving long) and it really does depend on the individual. I'd say your mature for your age in that you haven't gone off on one at people making comments about the car and age thing, so just be careful, that's all you can do
Peer pressure will be the biggest cause of driving fast, to which you just say "sure, you pay for the petrol and I'll boot it... thought not... now shut the f**k up!" lol

Erm, what do you mean you dont trust me in one!? Cheeky byatch! lol
I'm a sensible driver, rarely give it death, I think it's more my car that scares you than my driving... or at least it better be! Don't make me put my foot down woman!!! ;)

Oh, just a quick edit to say that if your setting off quickly you will get torque steer, ie, the steering wheel is straight, but the car is looking for the nearest curb or ditch. I find it unlikely to be just down to clutch control though, the Ph1 172 has a fairly heavy throttle pedal with it being on a cable so you'd know if you were giving it some... plus, they can be driven like a 1.0 car, you'd not notice the extra power unless you were looking for it, it's not something that's going to take you by surprise... unless you drive blind folded.

EK4 SIR CIVIC 185 BHP
Peer pressure will be the biggest cause of driving fast, to which you just say "sure, you pay for the petrol and I'll boot it... thought not... now shut the f**k up!" lol

i say that all the time since day 1 haha :D cheapskate

Engles Mummy

i say that all the time since day 1 haha :D cheapskate

Hi m8,

Well done on getting a 172 at 17, I got a cup at 18. I think your one of the youngest :) good man.

As for the power, the 172 has hardly got "savage" pace so I very much doubt your losing traction at the start.

It could be your engine mounts, I would recommend taking it to Renault and let them source the problem out.

Sinclair C5

Haven't got used to controlling the power, are you serious?