ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172.182 4 pot kit review

Fitted the Compbrake/Shedmotorsport 4 pot kit to my 182 a couple of weeks ago. I havent put too many miles on them yet as I was on holiday last week but my first opinions are -

I got them fitted at a garage because I wasnt confident about flaring the existing brake pipes (you basically have to cut the end off the existing pipe and flare it in order to use the fittings supplied with the kit). This proved to be alot of hassle and in my opinion and the person who was fitting them was piss poor. They should supply a fitting that allows a standard brake line to be attached into the caliper. Also the lines supplied were way too long.

I gave them another bleed over the weekend and as far as I can tell have all the air out of the system. I went out and gave them as much abuse as possible on the country lanes around by me (max from 80mph stops). They are definately powerful and I could get the ABS working from around 60mph on a warm dry road with PE2's fitted. I didnt get them to fade but then again it was hardly up to the abuse you could give them on a track.

Unfortunately the pedal feel is not good. They feel 'weird' is the best word I can use. The pedal does not seem to get harder the more force you apply. Its like there is air in the system I suppose, they fell spongy but the way the braking power increases suggests its not.

On the plus side they weigh 5kg per wheel less then standard and look the business.

Maybe someone can shed some light on the pedal feel?

Overall I am unsure at the minute. I need to put some more miles on them but the mushy pedal will be something I will find hard to get used to.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
hmmm...a weird one this

a few people on here with the same kit have nothing but praise for this kit...PYE, Ali etc

maybe something to do with the fitting?

i only ask as i'm tempted myself

I will post some pictures when I get home.

I hope it is air in the lines and will give them another bleed this weekend.

Lionel Richie
you had to cut the OE hard lines??? erm ok

that'll be the problem, is yours the shed kit mark? or direct from comp?

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
The "mushy" pedal can only be as a result of air in the system. It doesn't sound like you got it all out.

I found the Clio's brake fluid reservoir very annoying when bleeding brakes, two full length travels on the pedal and it was sucking air, its so small, you really need a 3rd person doing top ups all the time.

The other way is to force bleed them if you can borrow the adaptor for the Clio master cylinder and the tool.

I assume your doing all the wheels, not just the front ??

Longest line first, shortest last.

I got there in the end, the results were worth while, rock hard pedal, stop on a sixpence. More what I'm used to...;)

Lionel Richie
could be many things though Brian, incorrect piston size vs master cly etc

i reckon its just incorrectly flared pipes causing air to leak in/fluid out

clio 200 F4Rt
you shouldnt of needed to cut the original lines.

If you had got them from us we would of supplied the correct fittings.

Unfortunatly the hoses are a little long, but this is the only length compbrake supply them in.

As for the spongy feel, i can only guess there is air in the system still. Did u bleed the entire car? what fluid are you using?

They will feel different to the standard callipers due to the larger piston size etc. I found that they did take a little time getting used to them, but once you do, you can really exploit their power.

They will feel different to the standard callipers due to the larger piston size etc. I found that they did take a little time getting used to them, but once you do, you can really exploit their power.

OK so they do feel different to standard.

Sounds like I need to bleed them again.

Fred I think the flared pipe is sealed OK. If it wasnt I doubt the brakes would work as well as they are doing.

I assume your doing all the wheels, not just the front ??

Longest line first, shortest last.

I got there in the end, the results were worth while, rock hard pedal, stop on a sixpence. More what I'm used to...;)

No just the fronts.

What is the order you should bleed them in and how many pedal strokes should you need when manually bleeding each line?

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
The rule is longest line first, so o/s rear---n/s rear---o/s front---n/s front.

The second part of your question, till the air bubbles stop.

Good time to do a fluid change ?

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5

I had assumed these kits had calculated all the cylinder size /piston displacement issues, is that not the case Fred ?

Turbo Beige
Mine feel more solid than the standard setup, so i would have to say the bleeding is at fault. I always bleed all 4 at the same time.

The rule is longest line first, so o/s rear---n/s rear---o/s front---n/s front.

The second part of your question, till the air bubbles stop.

Good time to do a fluid change ?

Thanks for the info I will give it a go at the weekend.

Some pictures

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

I did, and i wasnt overly impressed with the kit either. What could of been quite a nice setup is marred by a few silly things.

The high tensile cap bolts supplied arent the same thread as the hub :S

The brake pipes are about 100% too long.

I have no idea why the brake pipe unions are like they are, it would be so simple for them to supply a brake pipe with the correct union on the end for the stock renault fixing. This is the single most annoying thing, and i would advise anybody doing this to dump their lines and get your own made.

The bell/disc bolts are metric bolt and imp on the cap hed :S, and the threads on them were so horribly cut that 20% of them wouldnt go together.

Apart from that, nice caliper, disc and adaptor plate.

As for the feel, its not how i expected it, so i'm hoping its air aswell. We bled 2ltrs through it, including the rears, bed them in, got the ABS working, rebled it and a load of air came out.

Lionel Richie

I had assumed these kits had calculated all the cylinder size /piston displacement issues, is that not the case Fred ?

yeah, but i believe Mark bought direct from comp brake and it looks like he has different calipers to the kit shed sell

i might be wrong

yeah, but i believe Mark bought direct from comp brake and it looks like he has different calipers to the kit shed sell

i might be wrong

they are the same calipers and are marketed on there (compbrakes) website as a clio 172/182 kit.

The calipers hae a different finish on the outside to the shed kit for some reason?

Integra Type R & 205 Mi16
As Mat has stated we supply an adaptor for the lines, which are admittedly too long and is an issue we have raised with compbrake. In future they should be supplied with a more appropriate length line with the correct union if possible (if not we will continue to supply the adaptors which pye21 has with his set-up). It seems odd that you have had the few quality issues with the threads as the ones we've supplied have been fine so far, although as you say they are odd sizes. These are all issues we have been hoping to resolve with next batch that we order but compbrake are continually selling them direct (we're supposed to have exclusive rights) which inhibits us ordering some more as we have been struggling to compete with the prices they offer. We'll will try our very best to beat any price that compbrake offer you though, just get in touch with either Mat or myself.

If you have it in writing, then raise the issue with them.

But the lines really do need sorting, its almost dangerous as they foul all over the place and need cable tying all over the front to keep it in position.

E92 M3 Monte Carlo
better off syringing the fluid out the resevoir and bleading the braekes by gravity no air can get in the system that way

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Mine are simply amazing! mark it's taken 500miles if i'm being honest. Once warm they are spline splitting!!!

Another annoyin issue is the rattly pads in reverse!

Turbo Beige
Mine are simply amazing! mark it's taken 500miles if i'm being honest. Once warm they are spline splitting!!!

Another annoyin issue is the rattly pads in reverse!

I keep getting people telling me about that, i don't here it anymore!!!

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I did forget about that bit :p

If I had the money left this month I'd have snapped em up, but it went on clothes and a new sat nav :(