ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172, 182 on cam or vvt

MKIII 138
ok quick question. does the 172, 182 come on cam or has it got vvt.

im 100% its on cam but someone is arguing the point on another forum lol

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
Where is BenR when you need him!

From what I udnerstand, the point at which the F4R engine "takes off" etc, around 5k, is the point at which the cam's are at their most efficient. The Clio doesn't have a VTEC/VVTI process like Honda/Toyota engines.

audi a6 3.0tdi
1998cc 2.0 16V with VVT F4R engine
Maximum power 172hp at 6250rpm
Maximum torque 200NM at 5400rpm

ph1 172...a red one
from BenR in THIS post

the vvt system in the 172/182 range is there simply to allow the renault engineers to run a wilder camshaft without any of the problems you would associate with larger overlap cams on a plenum with a classic speed density system.

The vvt system is a simple 1 step phasing operation which advances the inlet cam only by 16 degrees. In its resting (depahsed) status it sits with the valve events netting a zero overlap status. This gives a strong map signal and constant manifold vacuum at idle and low throttle angle, which makes smooth mapping at lower rpm and throttle angle easier, along with better emissions and economy.

As soon as you increase manifold pressure to 800mb+ and go above 1450rpm, the ecu will advance the cam. Its such a low rpm threshold because the cams are not that wild, but wild enough to cause problems at idle.

The kick at 5000rpm is simple the 'on cam' phenomenon where all operating parameters favourably meet and you get a sudden increase in volumetric efficiency.

tiTTy & SV650
indeed it has VVT as nock says but this isn't why it has the 5k kick, that's it coming on cam.

Breaking A 172 Replica
I also understand the 5k kick to be caused largely by the slight dip in power at 4800/4900k RPM.

Black Gold with cup packs
Um what about if you want to get your 172/182 cammed?
Can you ?
If so at what cost?

Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup
Without wanting to get shot down, isn't the confusion here about what is meant by "on cam"?

The F4R engine in the 172/182 (and various other renault's in a different form) has basic variable valve timing. As described before this simply changes the camshaft angle by 16 degrees so that the inlet valves open at a different point in the cycle. Between idle and about 1500rpm the system is on timing mode 1, then at about 1500rpm timing mode 2 is activated and the cam angle changes so that the inlet valves open sooner causing overlap with the outlet valves designed to give the engine a torque boost. Above about 5000 rpm, the system goes back to timing mode 1 to achieve maximum power.

I wouldn't really call this coming "on cam" in the Honda V-TEC way, which actually employs 2 sets of lobes on the camshaft, each which can have different timing, lift height and opening duration. Hence, when a V-TEC engine comes "on cam" it is actually moving from one set of lobes to the other.

I think the 197 has the same F4R engine but with a more sophisticated continuous variable valve timing system, i.e. the cam angle hasn't just got 2 positions but is constantly adjusted depending on engine speed.

Lionel Richie
vvt has bugger all to do with the 5K "kick"

vvt is pretty much there IMO so the car passes emissions tests on fast idle

if you don't believe me unplug your vvt and go for a drive

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2

So has anyone in the Renault tuning business thought about how they could use the vvt hardware that's on the engine to get more horsepower?

So has anyone in the Renault tuning business thought about how they could use the vvt hardware that's on the engine to get more horsepower?

No, its technically poinltess to do just a single stage kick since its of a set advance amount. By the time you run a cam thats wild enough to make use of a later phasing point, the stock management system would not be able to cope too well. And anybody should be running bodies and standalone by then.

Without wanting to get shot down, isn't the confusion here about what is meant by "on cam"?

The F4R engine in the 172/182 (and various other renault's in a different form) has basic variable valve timing. As described before this simply changes the camshaft angle by 16 degrees so that the inlet valves open at a different point in the cycle. Between idle and about 1500rpm the system is on timing mode 1, then at about 1500rpm timing mode 2 is activated and the cam angle changes so that the inlet valves open sooner causing overlap with the outlet valves designed to give the engine a torque boost. Above about 5000 rpm, the system goes back to timing mode 1 to achieve maximum power.

I wouldn't really call this coming "on cam" in the Honda V-TEC way, which actually employs 2 sets of lobes on the camshaft, each which can have different timing, lift height and opening duration. Hence, when a V-TEC engine comes "on cam" it is actually moving from one set of lobes to the other.

I think the 197 has the same F4R engine but with a more sophisticated continuous variable valve timing system, i.e. the cam angle hasn't just got 2 positions but is constantly adjusted depending on engine speed.

Technically VTEC changes cam lobe, so is not really 'coming on cam' which is an old skool term to refer to the phenomenon where engine efficiency suddently takes a rise as port velocities increase.

If you ran on the high cam lobe on vtec only, then the point at where it all of a sudden came on song is the cam 'comming on cam'. The classical use of the term has no reference to any mechanical changes.